CHUKERS

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

CHUKERS

Postby montana bound » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:11 pm

Went to the semi wild preserve this morning for some chukers , took my labs Katie and Maggie. What a great morning we got our 5 birds and the dogs did great , Katie my chocolate lab will hold a rock hard point as long as the bird holds . I was walking on a trail though the field when Katie spun around and came back down the trail at me , three ft from me she stops on a hard point ,ears up and her body shaking. I look at her , I look in front of her , Then I look behind me , I see nothing , I asked her if she had lost her mind , but she just keeps looking right at me on point , so I'm thinking she is smelling the 3 birds I had in my vest. So one last time I look around ,I look down at my feet and 12 inches from my left boot is a chuker standing there looking up at me. so I hit it with my boot putting it up , dropped it at 20 yards, what a great dog . :thumbsup:
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby birdslayer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:58 pm

Semi-wild??????!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Duck-21
Geese-3
Pheasant-14
Quail-21
Grouse-1
birdslayer
hunter

Postby birdslayer » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:05 am

Its still fun though. I had a "semi-wild" hunt for roosters this fall. I limited in 1 hour and had a blast. Most of the birds flushed from about 10 yards. Those were the only 3 pen raised birds that I shot this year. It is fun to hunt pen birds. Hunting wild pheasants is often discouraging.(walking 8 miles while its raining, for nothing)I have never hunted wild chukar. I raised 20 one year. Theyre great for fun shooting and training.
Duck-21
Geese-3
Pheasant-14
Quail-21
Grouse-1
birdslayer
hunter

Postby montana bound » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:34 am

It would be nice to chase wild birds but here in Jersey there arent any , so ya do what you can .
montana bound
hunter

Postby Ryan Hill » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:48 pm

i think you killed someone's pet bird.
Ryan Hill
hunter

Postby montana bound » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:47 am

chuksorducks wrote:i think you killed someone's pet bird.

Yup , here in Jersey we shoot pet birds, we get them at petsmart chukers are between the pheasants and quail . :rolleyes:
montana bound
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:38 pm

MB, when you get out here i'll show ya real chukar hunting.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby montana bound » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Montanafowler wrote:MB, when you get out here i'll show ya real chukar hunting.

Ill take ya up on that, hows things on that side of MT?

Ill be out to my place in May for a couple weeks to do some work
montana bound
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:57 pm

well i guess MT ain't got chukar or quail, but i've got places in Idaho that got loads of em, just a 9 hour drive :rofl:

honestly, i don't know much about this side of the state because i haven't left the campus in months. It looks pretty much like Idaho though.

actually, i'm browsing property near your area for after college, i found some deals on ranches and it looks mighty nice. i'll be taking a trip out there this summer if all goes well. :thumbsup:
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby montana bound » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:44 pm

Montanafowler wrote:well i guess MT ain't got chukar or quail, but i've got places in Idaho that got loads of em, just a 9 hour drive :rofl:

honestly, i don't know much about this side of the state because i haven't left the campus in months. It looks pretty much like Idaho though.

actually, i'm browsing property near your area for after college, i found some deals on ranches and it looks mighty nice. i'll be taking a trip out there this summer if all goes well. :thumbsup:

Yes no quail ,but There will be several hundred chukers avallable for shooting when I get moved in, gonna raise them to work the dogs on in between hunts. :biggrin:
montana bound
hunter

Postby Ryan Hill » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:26 am

everyone will agree with me when i say that chukar hunting isn't defined as legit if it's not wild or it's on a game ranch of some sort, or in trees, or in a pheasant field. As for locale, southeastern Idaho was where it was at this year, they had an emergency shutdown because birds concentrated hard in that area that birds were diminishing quick. Other than that we didn't get skunked at all in Nevada, with my cousin hunting every weekend day of the season and my hunting 7 weekends. Gotta find em, and gotta have a dog if you want more than one or two birds a day.
Ryan Hill
hunter

Return to Upland Game