Getting to Alaska!!!

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Getting to Alaska!!!

Postby Mallyard » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:41 am

Ok so hears the deal,
I took a vacation to Alaska last summer, and fell in love wit it. I'm scrambling for an excuse to come back up again this year, but unfortunatly I don't have 5K sitting in the bank to burn.... so hears my Idea.
My buddie and I want to come to alaska mid May - mid July. We'd like to get a temporary job while we are there. We plan to do plenty of fishing also. But i'm running into many bumps along the road of planning this trip... Do we drive or fly? Is the main one.

If I drive we're looking at alteast 1,000 bucks in gas. But, when i get there i'll still have transportation. Or fly... about 650 round trip a peice. But once that plane lands.... we ain't getting anywhere. To lease a care for 2 months, it'll run almost 2,000 bucks. :no: Atleast that's the best I could find. I've even went as far as to consider the ferry.... But that can take up to a week to get from WA to AK... and its pretty expensive. Turns out to be about the same price as gas... Because I have to drive to WA from KS... So needless to say I've got to figure out some things if I want to make this dream a reality.

So Question numero uno... How should I get there?
numero dos... What kind of job could I get, that would allow me enough time off to still enjoy my stay?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!!

Matt :wink:
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby OneLunG » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:09 am

What part of Alaska are you wanting to come to? (the method to get here depends on that) As well as employment...
OneLunG
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:18 pm

I'm actually pretty open on where... I've got some contacts on the kenai pen. Around Soldotna. But I don't have to go there.. Any place where I can work a good job, and catch plenty of fish... Salmon for sure.

Matt
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby OneLunG » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:30 pm

Juneau isnt a bad town - You could drive from WA (or wherever) to Skagway and take the ferry down (pretty cheap) That way you have transportation and theres lots of great fishing off the road system.

Plus, this town being tourism based during the summer there are LOTS of seasonal jobs.
OneLunG
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:13 am

I'm actually thinking about flying... then buying a cheap car. something to live with for a couple months.. then selling it before I leave. That way I'd have pretty much free transportation....
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby OneLunG » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:39 pm

Well, theres lots of great places to come and fish in Alaska - I'm sure some other guys here can chime in on the oppurtunities in different areas...
OneLunG
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:03 pm

Bus to Seattle, plane to Anchorage, buy the cheapest subaru wagon from AAA1 Subaru on Old Seward Hwy. Sell it back to them when you are done with it and expect a loss, OR drive it home for the adventure of the ALCAN.

Job: check out Craigslist/Alaska or put an ad up on there for your services. What can you do anyway? Construction is on the down turn right now unless it is large commercial stuff, but most of that will be finished by summer.

Of course there always is the cannery option out in Bristol Bay where you won't need a car but you will be too tired to fish, and after that you may not ever fish again. Maybe cannery work is not an option.

We have a lot of service type jobs up here that may allow for working on the weekends and fishing during the week. Helps stay away from the crowds. However, they don't pay anything and your rent may be more than your pay check will ever be.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:17 pm

Thanks guys for all the information!!!
As I plan this trip further and further. I keep running into more and more obsticals. I hope we can still make the trip work, but if now we'll shoot for next summer! Again all your information has been of great help!!!!

Matt
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby otterbfishin » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:13 pm

Mallyard.
If you log onto Princess.com right now and you land a job at the Mt Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge doing whatever you can do (kitchen work, food servers, baggage handlers, housekeepers, Front desk, tour desk, maintenance, and grounds keepers) you will be able to live in employee housing at the lodge, get your meals there and have one to two days a week for fishing in the local area. Good Fishing, rainbows, sockeys and silver salmon with a fantastic view of My McKinley! Check it out quick, they are doing their hiring right now. You will need the car to access the creeks. Good Luck! otter
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby DangleCity » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:21 pm

You should look into being a charter nazi. I do it in the summer out of Sitka. Its fairly easy and a good money maker. It also leaves you with an open fall for waterfowling.
Whistlers on the deck!
DangleCity
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting