Duck Hunting Forum banner

South Dakota Pheasant Hunting Special

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Kurt 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Please check out their hunt specials for this spring. There should be good huntable numbers of Snow geese yet for at least the next 2 weeks due to a delayed migration thsi year, so not too late to get in on some Snow goose action.

About little river:
Little River Pheasant Hunts offers the Finest Pheasant Hunting South Dakota has to offer. We also have several FREE combo hunts each season. Last year we ran free whitetail combo's and free waterfowl combo's with our regular pheasant hunting package. Ask about our FREE whitetail combo hunts this year. We haven't decided on the waterfowl combo's yet. It depends on the amount of moisture we get in our sloughs this summer. If they are full, you waterfowl hunt with us free of charge when coming for any pheasant hunting package.

We have fantastic spring Snow Goose Hunting available. You can expect the geese to peak out in our county around March 15-20. This is one of the easiest Snow Goose Hunts you will ever be part of.

We also have very well bred and trained German Shorthaired Pointers and Labs. You need to give us a call if you are interested in a pup or started dog. Many times our puppies are sold before they are even born.
For more information don't hesitate to contact us.

#4 ·
birdslayer said:
Are any of the pheasants released? I heard of a place in SD where all the pheasants were wild. Looks like an amazing place.
South Dakota is the bomb. Went there is past October for my first ever pheasant hunt. If any of you want to hunt a hard bird, that is just as smart if not smarter than a turkey then go hunt some pheasants. We killed 40 in three weeks, had 5 guys. We had lots of fun!!

#5 ·
The question was are any of the birds released? The answer is yes. We legally have to release 600 birds/year. We mainly release blacks and buffs. These birds are released in May or June. If they actually survive which maybe 10% do the are well educated by predators. We don't want any of our customers shooting pen raised birds. They just don't fly like wild birds do. The 600 we have to release are nothing compared to the 15,000+ wild birds there are on the property. We have many references available. This is no canned hunt. If you think these birds don't fly hard ask any of our customers. Just a piece of info to some of you. There are many outfitters in the state that tell you they don't release any birds at all. For many of these that is totally false because the state regulates them to release a minimum of 600. For many others in certain parts of the state they simply don't have enough wild birds to satisfy all the customers they have so they indeed do have to release birds. Not all do this but many do. Most of us that are regulated to release birds hate and and have suggested many times instead of having to purchase pen raised birds to just pay the same amount of fees that the birds cost to the state so they can put more land into CRP programs, public hunting or waterfowl production areas. We haven't had much success with this. When we release birds in our area all we are really doing is feeding the predators that may have taken a wild bird. Hope this answers your questions.

#7 ·
That is correct. However, more then 75% of any outfitter in the state have to release birds because when you get that many hunters on the place for three straight months even pen raised birds become hard to get close enough to. I can say this with confidence being I have guided at a number of these and have run a few over the last 20 years. Everyone has to release birds before the season. We release ours as early as possible because we don't want people harvesting even 10% pen raised birds. We use to designate a entire seperate area from where we hunted to release our birds but that didn't work out so well for us. Game fish and idiots are not smart enough to realize that if they would just let us pay the same amount in dollars to them to be designated for habitat none of us would have this issue. Most of the states CRP has been taken out now. You will see South Dakota's pheasant population drop a lot over the next few years. Then they will decide once again they better do something about it. Remember, this is one of three states to make non residents apply for a waterfowl license. Who heard of something so stupid as to make a drawing for a migratory bird that every state hunts and goes down to Mexico and has more birds harvested then in the states and canada combined. Oh well. Most of what we release are either black's or buff pheasants. Most don't survive but when someone does get one they generally mount it. A select few of these will make it and last the winter but not very often. I believe I have seen three black roosters in the last month and no buff's.

#8 ·
Not sure what Admin 2's interest is here to so promote this set up.

However,....I was born and raised in SD. Moved to Iowa after graduation. But...my family still lives there.

Please look twice before booking with this outfit...that is all I will say.

By the by...my family owns plenty of land in SD...so I'm not calling "bad" on this set up for personal reasons. I've got all the land I need to hunt...just do some research.

#9 ·
He is dead on about it would be better to use the money for habitat than have to release birds. i help each fall taking pheasant hunters out and good habitat is the key. i dont know these guys personally but from what i have seen from them it looks like a good operation. If you are going to make comments like that about some ones lively hood you better have some dang good reasons. The having to apply for a waterfowl license is a pain for outfitters but i dont have a problem with it, just for selfish reasons though :biggrin:

#10 ·
Kurt....

I don't know if your comments were directed towards me...if so...do re-read my last post.

I made NO...NONE...ZERO accusations. I also gave no specifics.

As info I have is entirely second hand I simply passed on that people should conduct a bit of research prior to parting with hard earned cash.

That is all I said and is all I'm going to say. As this outfitter has chosen to advertise on a public forum, they are open to all comments/opinions…good or bad.

As far as my ability to say anything further…I cannot. As for my previous comments…I will d@mn-well speak my mind when I'm so given to do so. There is very little you can do about this…I make no apologies.

#11 ·
you said to look twice before booking with this outfit. That is pretty specific. Just think it is crap when people use 2nd hand info but can not back it up. everyone speaks their mind on the internet so you dont have to apologize for that. Maybe just sign a real name to the claims.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.