Dog trainers

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Dog trainers

Postby FliesItDies » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:21 pm

Hey guys
i have a yellow lab that will be 1 year old on July 1st. As of now he can retrieve anything, blind retrieves u name it he can find it. But he is still really hyper he isnt neutered and i dont think ill get him. Do you guys think that he will be calm enough by the time season opens up? Any suggestions, maybe take him out to areas that we'll be hunting, or maybe let him go with us on a boating trip? U think any of these ideas would work if so which ones.. if not what would you perfer? ANd also was wondering if anyone knows of any kind of hunting training programs within an hour or less of Bozeman/Belgrade.
Thanks
If It Flies It Dies!!
FliesItDies
Newb

Postby marcbme » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:32 pm

Labs usually don't calm down until they are 2 or better. However that DOESN'T mean he's going to be a bad partner, just a tax on your patience. My partner had the same trouble until he got an E-collar. AMAZING difference. Within 2 weeks he was a new mutt. But use it carefully, poor use could ruin him forever. I'd get one of the many training DVDs such as "gundog" that cover E-collars and their use.
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby Tightline » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:46 pm

I belive that there is a Gallatain Valley Retrievers club but not sure how to contact them. I'm told that it is a non profit org. that gets together and helps each other train their dogs. I have seen them working dogs at Headwaters Park and on the Madison.

As for an E-collar....I got my lab from a friend that hunted her lots and lots (over 100 retireves a year) but did not have enough time to work with both of his dogs anymore (new wife, new family etc.). She was a terror for the first couple of weeks until I purchased a collar. She was trained with a collar so I'm sure that that helped, but I only had to knick her 2 or 3 times and she was under control. I also started using the collar evey time that we did any training or play time. If she doesn't behave then she gets corrected, If she still doesn't behave she is done. Now she knows that everytime the collar comes out it's time for fun, and I rarely need to use anything but a tone correction.

If you decide to use an e-collar I have 2 suggestions.

#1- get one that has a lifetime warranty and has a water PROOF transmitter. Do not scimp on this equiptment or you will be buying more than one.

#2- Know what the collar does. Put it on your arm, leg, neck (sounds funny but I did it). I believe that it is very important that you understand what your dog will be feeling, and if you are not willing to experience it first hand then you shouldn't be willing to put it on your dog. You may want to make sure that you aren't standing within ear shot of any young kids though, it may test your vocabulary :mrgreen: .

One other suggestion that was given to a friend of mine with a new pup hunting for the first time this year is that you leave your gun at home for the first hunt of the season. Go with someone else and let them do all the shooting. Focus on your dog and make the hunt for them. If you can be completely focused on your dog then you can control some of the bad habits before they start. (ie: leaving the blind early, sticking their head out of the blind, not sitting still in the boat) Hope some of this helps.

Later,
Tight
Water is good.....Work is bad!!!
Tightline
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:10 pm

My last lab had this issue when he was younger. I used to let him out on a dirt road and run him in front of the truck for 2 or 3 miles. This worked great, sort of took the edge of him.
phutch30
hunter

Hey Paul

Postby fun4jake » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:31 am

Good to see you on. I will be in the office there next monday and hope to have a good Elk story for ya.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:43 am

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff. All elk stories are good. If things work out as I hope I'll have some good pictures of my wifes 22" 4x4 whitetail buck I have been watching for the last month. He is on BLM to boot.
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting