first time snow hunter

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

first time snow hunter

Postby slanders » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:18 am

saw thousands NW of lincoln and had about 180 decoys out there and could get them to come my way but could get them to come down far enough to hit any....anyone got any tips for a new snow goose hunter other than more decoys?
slanders
Newb

Postby DUJUNKIE » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:52 pm

more dekes possibly e caller
QUACK SMACKER
DUJUNKIE
Forum Moderator

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:01 am

My first time was this past weekend down in Nebraska. We has 1200 decoys out and we had a really tough time decoying birds. I'd consider myself a novice, but what from I learned this weekend, I'd get ALOT more decoys and an e-caller.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Dolsmi » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:15 am

I've found that the as the snow goose migration heads north, it is easier to decoy birds at the beginning of the migration and towards the end.
When the main flock is going through it is tough to decoy snows in, when there are literally 10's of thousands of birds around.
Usually when the main migration is going through your area, I found that the sneak method works best..
Just my $0.02 worth.
Dolsmi
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:11 am

dekes and lots of sound....
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Just a few ideas

Postby green-hntr » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:30 am

A e-caller.....you can have all the dekes but with no sound its not believable. Also try some motion in your spread. Make sure you ...youself are completly coverd up. Alot of times people dont spend enough time using camo and covering their layout. Look at your spread to see if anything looks un-natural. I am not a expert with snows but the basic principles for all waterfowl hunting are for the most part the same.
green-hntr
hunter

Postby Scattergun Gooch » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:30 am

Hows it looking in SD, any news to report?
Scattergun Gooch
hunter

Postby HowIdo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:25 am

I disagree with green-hntr, sound is not that important, but motion is very important. I do not call at all around here! There are so many and they are so loud, they wouldnt hear a call anyway!!
Why lose when you can Win?

Proud to be everything Liberals cant stand!!
HowIdo
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum