Turkey Flocking during the Late Winter

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Turkey Flocking during the Late Winter

Postby 20bolt » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:14 pm

Today I got cut off by a group of 20 turkeys walking single file across the road. There were 2 jakes (no beard, with spurs) a bunch of hens, what I thought was a few more jakes, and one big gobbler, beard and all. We have definitely had a crazy winter, but don't the birds usually split up for winter, and only start to come back together around spring turkey season?

This is my first season and I am trying to learn all I can. I have been doing alot of scouting and watching, but I haven't yet seen a group this diverse.

Any thoughts? Thanks, :huh:
20bolt
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:41 pm

Not really 20, they will flock up for the winter months, You can have several old hens running together with their broods, your may see a bunch of turkeys, hens and jakes running together , the old gobblers will run together also, they will not be with the flock at this time.
In the spring, nature takes over, the flocks bust apart, the hens start to think about nesting, the old gobblers will have worked out their pecking order and will start to gobble on the roost to declare their dominance. At this time most of the gobblers will not run together but WILL tolerate another male around. A thumbnails view, hope this helps. :wink:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum