Strut Zones

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Strut Zones

Postby orangefoot » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:47 pm

I have been turkey hunting for 4 years now and i've heard alot about "strut zones" I know what they are but dont actually know how to find them. Where do turkey have these "strut zones"?
How do I find them? :huh:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:47 am

A gobbler will pick out a spot that he can be seen by the ladies, it really can be "anywhere". I've seen them along ridge tops, old logging roads, in fields edges. Had two gobblers that had a ridge top picked out as a strut zone, after listening to them walk the ridge gobbling their heads off, I waited til they were on the other end, slipped up on top and picked off the bigger bird, the next Sat. I killed the second one doing the same thing. :thumbsup:

To find them you can sometimes find the drag marks left by their winds as they strut in fileds or roads.
Last edited by cut_un on Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:25 pm

well said cut, i think that sums it up to the T :thumbsup:
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:00 pm

You da man cut_un
:thumbsup:
STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:17 pm

What I've seen as strut zones are typical of the our easterns here in the southeastern part of the turkey world, does anyone have any other strut zones in mind for different parts of the country or other subspecies :huh:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:00 pm

i hunted Rio's in west texas and didnt seem to notice a difference, although the birds did seem to respond to calls a whole lot more than easterns do. but that could have been just in my case, i only have one Rio in the bag and have only spent 2 days hunting them, so my experience is limited.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby hondarancher » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:49 pm

Cut_un summed it up. these places will look like figure 8's in the leaves. remember if he answers you and responds good to your calling in the morning and goes off, just hold tight cause he pin pointed you and will be back to check in on you in a couple hours. don't call to much trying to get him to come back. make a few soft calls and every now and then get excited with it. don't give up cause he goes off, hold tight. :thumbsup:
Dakota Decoy Field Staff
CUTDOWN CREW
hondarancher
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum