Duck Hunting Forum banner

What do you think???

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  cut_un 
#1 ·
Folks are always takin sides on the discussion of shooting Jakes :huh: How do you feel :huh: Will ya or won't ya

:thumbsdown: ?? :thumbsup: ??

#2 ·
I have shot my share of jakes in years past, but that was whenever i was much younger and had just started turkey hunting. But now a days i wouldn't even consider squeezin the trigger on a jake. I dont really see anything wrong with someone else shooting a jake, but I wouldnt myself. I have killed my share of big birds and to me shootin jakes doesnt really pose much of a challenge. I'd personally rather spend an entire season and not kill a bird than to settle for a jake.

#7 ·
I have never shot a jake and never will. I was lucky my first bird was a long beard and I figure why shot jakes now. Just like I don`t shot small bucks. Let them grow boys

Normaly if I take a new hunter I ask them if they will shoot a jake or if they want to wait for a long beard. I give them my views but they get the final desision. But if it`s a seasoned turkey hunter I make it known....no jakes period

Just my opinion guys. I`d rather wait and chase them as a 2 1/2 year old the following season. Just to let you know, I hunted with a muzzleloader for two years passing on 6 jakes. Finally got the long beard though and it was worth the wait

STUMP

#8 ·
You guys know I am new to the game, and I have to say this spring I might, but come fall its all about big birds.

On bucks, man I am all about the young deer. For me deer hunting is about venison in the freezer. Where I hunt, they actually don't usually take many the big bucks. Their feeling is leaving the bigger bucks ensures a better gene pool.

#9 ·
If you're on public land you better go ahead and take the jake. Chances are if you don't someone else will. It's hard to find many big old critters on public land, at least around here where there isn't much hunting land.

#10 ·
I do just about 95 percent of my hunting on public land and have killed trophy class birds in several different states using public land. The birds are there, you just gotta put in the time and the effort to find em. Sometimes for me this has meant an hour and half walk to find that remote spot that is other wise unaccessible, or finding areas that are only accessible by boat.

#11 ·
trigger22 said:
I do just about 95 percent of my hunting on public land and have killed trophy class birds in several different states using public land. The birds are there, you just gotta put in the time and the effort to find em. Sometimes for me this has meant an hour and half walk to find that remote spot that is other wise unaccessible, or finding areas that are only accessible by boat.
:dito:

This will be the FIRST year I have ever hunted private land. So far all of the birds I have taken have been on Public land.

STUMP

#13 ·
I too have shot a jake or two early on, when a gobbler was a gobbler, but the more turkeys I was lucky enough to play with, I realized it was more about the challenge of the hunt... not the kill. Myself, I have no problem with anyone taking a Jake, they do eat mighty good. :yes: But, I spring turkey hunt for the show ,the opportinity to match wits with the old Saltin of the spring turkey woods. :thumbsup:

#14 ·
I gotta tell ya about an old man who once said to me in his old gravelly voice, he said,,,,son, do you wanna know how to kill a BIG buck,,,to which I answered, "yes sir". He said, don't kill a little one!

That was over thirty years ago. Made sense then, still does today.

Same thing goes for Turkeys. I don't do jakes.

I would also say that it's been my experince that by letting those jakes go by, many times there's a big one not far behind them.

I hope you all have a great season.

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.