CHURCH FOR THE WRONG REASONS

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

CHURCH FOR THE WRONG REASONS

Postby ncduckkiller » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:32 pm

This question is kind of weird but figured I would ask it. I stopped going to church about 25-30 years ago. I haven't since then wanted to return. It is not because I don't believe because I do, just don't think that I have to go to church to prove it. I know that church is only a congragation of like minded people. My wife and I have a 2 year old son and she said that she would like to start going to church for our son. I honestly believe that this is not a real reason to start attending church. "For the boys sake", mentality isn't good enough for me but on the other hand I don't want to let the family down by saying no. Any advise would be appreciated.
If you hunt WITH your kids now you won't hunt FOR your kids tomorrow.
ncduckkiller
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:01 pm

pm sent.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby HotDog » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:16 pm

My story may be similar. I didn't go to church regularly for 30 years.
My wife of 25 years kept trying to get me interested, but I just did not 'connect' with any of the local churches.
Did I still believe in Christ? Oh yeah.
I liked to say that I 'worshipped' from the blind/stand/boat whenever I was outside doing my thing. The trouble was that it was MY thing I was doing and not the work Christ has asked of us.
We did finally find the church that we 'connect' to.
What a difference in my attitude. It's like finding the large, long lost family that I really care about. I'm now the one pushing to get to church on time, going to the Men's Group meetings, fasting and praying for others. Stuff that I was never really into because I was doing it on my own. Actually sometimes it scares me, just how religious my life has become.
All I can say NC is that you should keep looking for the church that you connect to. Do it for yourself and your family. Ask God for his guidance and heed His word.
Good Luck and God Bless.
Ron
HotDog
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:23 pm

PM sent as well. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DiscoDuck » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:27 am

NC,
I was in a similar situation. I married into a strong catholic family. I grew up with definite faith, but we just didn't go to church. It may sound funny, but it was through the personal development attached to my business, that led me to church. Then for me it wasn't a different church that resonated with me, it was a new priest. I started to find that we were like-minded and he expressed himself similarly to me. I think a lot of that was probably because I was in a different place spiritually though. It's like they say, "when you read a book a second time, it's not that you see stuff that wasn't there the first time, but that you yourself are in a different place to receive the words". For me, I started to see things differently and understand more even though the Catholic church certainly had not changed it's doctrines! I think you're on the right path and asking the right questions. A large part of faith, is in action. You can have that faith, and truly believe it, but when you ACT toward your faith is when you really, fully receive.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:28 am

Talk about going to church for the wrong reason! When I was moving from NY to Cali, just before I left my mom had me make her a promise. It was that I would keep going to church and you know you never break a promise to your mom. So there I was sitting in church JUST waiting for it to get over. I use to pick up the collection just so I could check out the girls on the other side of the church. This went on for quite sometime then one Saturday night I was sitting there looking up at Jesus hanging there on His cross, looking like He was having a bad day. I found myself saying “I’m a hypocrite, God if there is more to you than this, then reveal it to me”

Please don’t misunderstand me; this is what caused me to be there for all the wrong reasons. You see man I grew up in church, I was baptized, confirmed went to parochial school (until they kick me out) confession on Fir the whole bit. For me after all that, I was only God conscience (meaning I knew there was a God) but I didn’t know God. On the outside with my family’s involvement in church I looked very religious just on the out side, but on the inside was spiritually dead. I didn’t have a clue who God was. I’m not putting down any denominations by any means I guess it was my fault

That prayer, when I asked if there was “more to you then this” that prayer started me on the right road. That simple little prayer opened the door for God to show me who He really is. That prayer changed me from being God conscience to really knowing God, it brought me out of be religious to having a Father son relationship. I became born again a short time later, which blew my moms mind,,, anyways.

Again this was my story, sure I was in church for the wrong reason, but God used that wrong reason to do a great work with in my life. I just want to encourage you since tomorrow is Easter, how’s about blowing your wife’s mind by saying “Hey lets find a church to go to tomorrow” I know God has some great things in store just waiting for you. Later Bro 870 God bless
Last edited by 870 on Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby thaner » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:37 am

Good stuff above and I would just add that I was in the same place for years and when I started going again with a new attitude life has never been better. God has great thing for you and has important work for you to do. Yes you! You will not find out what it is until you get involved. You also need spiritual feeding and support. If you are truly a believer then you spend all your time in the world where you are constantly being beat down by life. A little spiritual pick-up is always in order. Unless you are very involved in studying the bible you are getting no instruction and spiritual nourishment. You are spiritually starving.

If you don't do it for you then by all means do it for you wife and particularly your son if you believe in anything at all. You don’t want to be responsible for not doing your part to insure you child learns about God. Obviously salvation is number one, but a little more help getting our kids on the right track morally and teaching them valuable tools to cope with life are no small benefits. My kids spend a lot of time in school and places they get a heavy dose of liberalism and the worlds religious ideas. You know stuff like live for today, the guy with the most toys wins, $$$$ and more $$$, and of course a little thing called tolerance where everything goes no mater how depraved and against God it is. I get them into every church activity I can and they love it! However, how into it would they be if I was not setting a good example?

Even for people who don't believe in God one little bit at least give your children a chance to learn and make up their own minds because if you are wrong do you want to take your kids with you?
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby thaner » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:42 am

870 wrote:I just want to encourage you since tomorrow is Easter, how’s about blowing your wife’s mind by saying “Hey lets find a church to go to tomorrow” I know God has some great things in store just waiting for you. Later Bro 870 God bless

:thumbsup: Can’t believe I didn’t think of that. :oops:
No better time to get started. Go celebrate! HE LIVES!
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:50 am

Hey thaner I got your back baby,,, besides God inspired you to say something else :yes:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby ncduckkiller » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:14 pm

A lot of good advise from all, it seems that 870 is really hitting the nail on the head, I sincerely feel that there is a God or supreme being but beyond that it seems that everything in my life is just on the same roller coast continously. I wish that we had the ability to go to church tomorrow but the wife is on the road coming in from AL. tomorrow, you can bet she is going to be surprised when I tell her to keep her calendar open for next Sunday. Another thing that hits you hard it the fact that you can't be so narrow minded that your kids don't have the chance for at least the experience.

Thanks to all of you for what turned out to be an eye-opening post.
If you hunt WITH your kids now you won't hunt FOR your kids tomorrow.
ncduckkiller
hunter

Postby Goat Man » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:13 pm

I'm the last person in the world who should be giving advice on this subject but here it is. I don't think there is a "wrong reason" to go to church as long as you get there. Go, listen, keep an open mind, and you'll probably find something wonderful.
Goat Man
Newb

Postby pappy » Sat May 31, 2008 11:30 am

well.......................

going to church for the sake of your child is certainly not a wrong reason. i have read the bible from front to back but am unable to quote scripture verbatum but the bible does say " raise your children in the ways of the lord and they will not depart from it when they are older."
there is alot of bad out there folks and sooner or later your children will be exposed to it. my advice to you is to live a christlike life in front of your kids....show them the beauty of Gods creation in nature and hunting . take them to church whenever the doors or open. take them to a bible based church where the true word of God is teached and preached, improve your faith through prayer studing Gods word and fasting. your investment in your children will be greatly rewarded.

good huntin :thumbsup:

pap
pappy
hunter

Postby QUACK3XS » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:08 pm

I was raised Catholic (I'm Italian). When I was 15 I lost my father & this started me down a path that would end up with me quitting my religion(sp?). I'm not going to get into what happened before my dad died cause just thinking about it make me furious :mad: I no longer agree nor do I associate myself with my church (no matter how many tapes my mother listens to- "how to bring a catholic back to the church :rolleyes: ) I know she's just being a good mom. After 20 years & 2 kids, my wife & I have joined a UMC in the area I live. I feel awkward ....yet comfortable there. I never stopped believing....I just needed a diff path.
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality