.22 for coyotes

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

.22 for coyotes

Postby waterfowl slammer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:37 am

Does anyone recommend or ever use a .22 for coyotes? I have my 22 long, a 30-06, 303, 8mm but my thing is I dont want to blow them up I would like to get my first one mounted. Any in put would be appreciated.
waterfowl slammer
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:27 pm

Yes, a .22 long rifle bullet properly placed through the vitals on a song dog will take it down. Remember though that this is not a long range proposition. As others have said a better choice is a shot gun and #2 or larger shot. I use AAA which no.4 buck shot and the pellets are .22 cal.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby badandy970 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:58 pm

Not unless you head shoot them. I have shot a bunch with a .22lr just shoot em in the eye.
Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
Sitka AK. Ducks Unlimited
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:54 pm

Try handloading some .30/'06 Sierra 110 grain hollow points. Load them on the slow side. My dad used to do it and I'm fixing to give them a go. He's shot groundhogs with them and they didn't exit. You could also try to load the 8mm. You could just make this your excuse to pick up a new rifle.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby badandy970 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:00 am

Preacher I don't know about that I shoot 30.06 110 gr hp&sp using IMR 4064. I load them hot but I I doun't think that you are going to slow it that much. Let me know you recipe, I am pretty sure that it is not likely being that they are so small. A 22. LR zips right through them I know that.
Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
Sitka AK. Ducks Unlimited
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowl slammer » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:53 am

how about the .22 hollow points Im worried about over shooting with houses around
waterfowl slammer
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:00 pm

If your worried about house try the shotgun Idea. OO buck and or Dead coyote will give you some range. If I was going to go lookin for coyotes with a 22 I would use a 40 gr or heavier solid bullet. Like a cci solid. I would want to make sure it punched through the skull. I wouldnt take a chance on a hollow point expanding too soon. I have shot a lot of 22 shells and I think the hollowpoints still richochet, not as bad but they still do.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:27 am

Aside from the safety factor a .22 is certinly adequate. I've killed plenty of Coyotes with mine, but always less than 50 yds. I even hit one behind the front shoulder and it rolled him right over. I prefer the hollow points though.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:17 pm

A .22 will work for very close in work.

However, like some others, I would much prefer a shotgun. For coyotes I like a full choke with #4 buck. Much less of a chance to have a runner with a shotgun than a .22.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby waterfowl slammer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:12 pm

thanks guys im going to try this weekend. but I just wanted to say thank you. Youre help is appreciated
waterfowl slammer
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:14 pm

I have shot two with a 17 HMR 17gr bullet. Neither had an exit wound. :thumbsup:
REDGUN
hunter

Postby Varminter » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:12 pm

bgoldhunter wrote:A .22 will work for very close in work.

However, like some others, I would much prefer a shotgun. For coyotes I like a full choke with #4 buck. Much less of a chance to have a runner with a shotgun than a .22.

+1

If you can get them in close enough, a .22 will work, and I'll be jealous... I've never had a daytime shot on a coyote in this area that was under 150 yds.
Varminter
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:37 am

REDGUN
I have shot two with a 17 HMR 17gr bullet. Neither had an exit wound.

I have shot grapefruits and watermellows with .17hmr -17gr and never had an exit hole, just a whole lota grapefruit juice. :sniper:
20bolt
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:14 am

20bolt wrote:
REDGUN
I have shot two with a 17 HMR 17gr bullet. Neither had an exit wound.

I have shot grapefruits and watermellows with .17hmr -17gr and never had an exit hole, just a whole lota grapefruit juice. :sniper:
Man you fellows in the USA are so lucky. We don't have seasons on such exotics here in Canada. So how long is the season and do you shoot them mainly in the head or try for behind the shoulder? What kind of habitat are you most likely to find these exotics in? :lol: Just messin with ya.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:06 pm

Not sure about the just mess'n with ya, but (and I am sure to be corrected)

1. Coyotes are native to this part of America, but just not in the numbers they are currently at.

2. You can hunt coyotes in such exotic areas as golf courses, behind the bar, or a few hundred feet behind your house.

3. I didnt use bait last year, but this year, I am definately putting out a stink bucket.

4. The season starts November and goes until March/April. There was thought of extending it in New Hampshire, but most trappers fought to keep only the winter season so the pelts are in better condition for harvesting.
20bolt
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:11 pm

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Nhhc » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:01 pm

I have not had any problem using a Fiocchi .22 LR 40 grain copper plated. I hunt corn fields in central NH, shots range from 20 yards to 80 yards. Using a basic remmington 547 with 2-7x32 nikon. NH has no closed season on yotes, they can be hunted all year and even at night from Jan till March.
<'(Glenn)><
Tarpon 160 Kayak
I kayak fish and kayak hunt.
Stripers=3 over 40 inches
Mallards=
Woodies=
Black=
Geese=
Deer=
Ducks not found=
Nhhc
hunter

Postby claybuster » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:58 pm

i shot my first yote a couple weeks ago with my .22 have not tried calling yet but with my ruger 10/22 i can shoot tomato cans at a hundred yards with light federal target ammo but with Remington vipers i can destroy a can at a hundred yards so with a rest i would think at 75-100 yards it is lethal but that is just me and i shoot my .22 so much i am comfortable with that kind of shot
recently dropped a coon at about 80 yards right between the eyes so it is not can the bullet do the job but can you put the bullet were it will do the job my dad used to tell me when all i had was a bb gun that you can kill about any thing with a bb gun if you shoot it in the right place :hijacked:
claybuster
Newb

Postby floating redneck » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:36 pm

had to chime in i definitly think a 22 is very marginal for yotes a 22wmr is my BAREmin
floating redneck
hunter

Postby newduckhunter » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:58 pm

22 will kill any thing. i got coyotees over 90yards with a 22 but you would be better off just getting a 17hmr. dont let any one fool you. if your a half way good shot you will never have a problem at any distance
newduckhunter
hunter

Postby floating redneck » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:05 pm

part time yote huntin is fine if you pick your shots but for serious coyote hunting a varmint caliber or good shot gun is your best friend
floating redneck
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:44 am

ask 20 people a question about guns and hunting tactics and get 20 different answers. I would never use a shotgun for anything other than birds. Unless Im shooting slugs. My first choice for coyotes is a .22 win mag with 32 gr federal jacketed hollow point. The bullet may be a little on the light side but I have yet to have one get away. Ive shot 40 gr. winchesters, 34 gr. winchesters, and 33 gr. Remington v-max and the federals shoot the best. Despite the lighter size the velocity and expansion are phenominal. Ive never shot a coyote past about 100 yards but I would shoot one comfortably out to 150. To answer your question a .22LR would be sufficiant on anything up to about the size of an whitetail at 100 yards. Where the .22 lacks in performance is the trajectory, if you know how to aim at what distance given wind speed and direction youll bring em down. It doesnt matter how fast the bullet gets there or how much damage it does as long as you put a hole in the right spot. I normally shoot for the ear hole unless theyre facing me then a shot to the brisket will usually stop them in their tracks
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby Kurt » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:59 am

Out in the open country we have here you get a yote with in 100 yds you did something. Last year shot 23 of them and i use my 6mm with 95 grn hornaday psp. the same i shoot at deer i know my poi out to 500 yds and dont get very much pelt damage but with the mange out here that really doesnt matter. 435 yds was the farthest shot last year he was just siiting there howling as the sun set on him.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:48 pm

20bolt wrote:Not sure about the just mess'n with ya, but (and I am sure to be corrected)

1. Coyotes are native to this part of America, but just not in the numbers they are currently at.

2. You can hunt coyotes in such exotic areas as golf courses, behind the bar, or a few hundred feet behind your house.

3. I didnt use bait last year, but this year, I am definately putting out a stink bucket.

4. The season starts November and goes until March/April. There was thought of extending it in New Hampshire, but most trappers fought to keep only the winter season so the pelts are in better condition for harvesting.

I meant the grapefruit!!!

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:55 pm

:rofl: Greg... he didnt get it....

but I read something about using a .17 hmr? on yotes? how would that work out? I am thinking about getting a .17 for yotes and squirrels thoughts?
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Next

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum