What Is The Best Duck Call To Get For A Beginner?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

What Is The Best Duck Call To Get For A Beginner?

Postby Greekmetallican » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:38 pm

I have some knowledge on duck calling, but would like to improve it. Any IdeaS?

I was thinking about the PRIMOS Special Edition Original Wench?
Greekmetallican
hunter

Postby plainsman » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:21 pm

The RNT Quackhead is a really good call thats easy to run
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:32 pm

get a new RNT Quackstacker, boy are they fine.
frazier2209
hunter

Postby Bret » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:24 am

I have not heard of this call yet Fraz. I can not comment.
Tell us about it on a new thread. I might have to get one and try it out.

These guys have it straight. The RNT quackhead is a very good call to learn on. Also you might try the Buck gardner Tall Timber performance serries very nice call for the money and it will run the scale as well (I really like this call). I would also add the primos Yo Sista or maybe phat ladie.

what ever you choose if you want to learn proper learn on a fully functional single reed. It does not have to cost an arm and a leg to get you going.

once you have learned to control a single you can blow nearly anything you want to.

Good luck.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:21 am

i would also recommend the RNT quackhead. it's what i learned on. it is a great call for the $. fraz, i haven't heard of the quackstacker either. is that a nickname you created for the quackhead or is it a real call? i'll do some looking also...
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:33 am

Quackhead is a good call. I bought one as a gift for my brother-in-law last season as he was showing some interest in learning how to call. i doubt he's done anything with it since then but let his kid run around the house with it.

is it rude to ask for a gift back??? :thumbsup: :toofunny:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby fabes468 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:09 pm

Greekmetallican :welcome: , i accually have that call and it is a very nice call, the primos one
FABES
fabes468
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:19 pm

Swamp Puppy wrote:
is it rude to ask for a gift back??? :thumbsup: :toofunny:

Heck no! :salude:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby whitefeather » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:16 pm

For a beginner, a double reed seems to be easier to blow for most people.
A good cheap double reed would be HS Waterfowl's Diamond wood. Heck if you want to go even cheaper get their plasitc green double reed it sounds just about the same. I have a lot of expensive acrylic and wooden calls but I end up using a cheap HS Black Ice when you have to be really quiet and the $20 green double reed from HS when I am in the field more times than not.
whitefeather
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:31 pm

I heard nothing but positive statements about the wench. more specifically the Timber Wench. However, for me it would have to be a toss up between the Buck Gardner Fowl Mouth II and the RNT Quackhead.
Go blow a buncha' calls, see what you like, hear what you like, etc. Opinions alone don't carry that well. Find out for yourself.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby whitefeather » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:51 pm

Trois_beaux_canards wrote:I heard nothing but positive statements about the wench. more specifically the Timber Wench. However, for me it would have to be a toss up between the Buck Gardner Fowl Mouth II and the RNT Quackhead.
Go blow a buncha' calls, see what you like, hear what you like, etc. Opinions alone don't carry that well. Find out for yourself.

Probably the best advice yet.
:thumbsup:

Go to your local regional duck and goose calling competition. There are vendors everywhere that allow you to try theirs. I can grab a call that my buddy can blow unbelievably and it doesn't sound as good when I do it and vice/versa. Everyone blows a little different. Also don't be surprised at your new call sounding different on some days. It's always a good idea to have a couple of calls around your neck because cold, humidity, sticking, heat, water , mud, etc... can make your call sound different from hour to hour.
whitefeather
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:14 am

:withstupid:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby darick silsby » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:24 pm

I have used the wench ll for the last 3 years - its very easy to blow, and the ducks have seemed to like it. You could do a lot worse than this call.
Last edited by darick silsby on Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aim small miss small,
Mel Gibson- The patriot
darick silsby
hunter

Postby duckman1106 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:42 pm

Try out the Buck Gardner Mallard Magic if you are a beginner. "The duck is built in", meaning you don't have to put much grunt, or voice into it to get a ducky sound. Plus, you can get it for around $15. The Fowlmouth 2 is basicly the same call with a different barrel. If you know how to put a little grunt into your call, try out the Buck Gardner double nasty. It's a little more forgiving than a single reed, but you can still get good range as your skill develops. Good luck!
The Mallard Militia: We kill more ducks before 7:00 am than most people kill all day!!
duckman1106
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum