Duck Hunting Forum banner

What's up with all the choke's???

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  98ramtough 
#1 ·
Been thinking of buying a new choke for my 870 12 gauge. Been looking at several one's different than the origanal rem choke's. Was wandering what everybody think's of them? Do they shoot that much of a better patteren, are they worth the money? I shoot a modified in my 870 express, and full in my wingmaster's. Seem to hit fine with both, just looking for that little extra edge!!! Let me know what you guy's have found out about them! :thumbsup:

#3 ·
I think he means aftermarket cause he said "different than the origional rem chokes."

duckdog, whether the choke will help or not all depends on which shell you shoot. If you get one make sure to pattern it with several brands to find out which is best. Patternmaster and Wadwizard throw tight patterns (some have looser patterns depending on which model you get). I've never tried or heard of how any others perform.

#4 ·
There are different chokes that do different things. Most of which do a fair job of constriction for a decent enough pattern. Then some guns are back bored which helps prevent blown patterns. Then there is the "stripping" chokes such as Pattern Master which strips the wad away from the pellets. Supposedly making for a shorter shot string, so more pellets hitting the bird and which mostly are very tight patterns too.

DD, myself, I certainly would not use a Full choke with steel shot, especially a coarser pellets like BB. And this is on modern (meaning in the last 10 years) of American made guns. The reason why American is this--these High Velocity steel loads are an American thing mostly, thus the American gun manufacturers are making their guns much more beefed up to handle the much higher breach and barrel pressures of the HV steel loads. A old "lead" Full choke with a HV coarse steel load can bulge the barrel even on 20 YO American made guns, and the foreign guns like those in Spain or Italy are much softer steel, even today(older foreign guns are even softer yet and no steel shot should be used ever). So these should not be using the US steel shotshell loads IMO with is based on what I have read about the experts opinions.

Also the coarser the pellets, the tighter the pattern. Meaning a Modified choke may shoot a 68% pattern of 4 shot, but a 76% pattern with a BBB, in the same 3", and wieght of peelests, and amount of powder. This is something that it appears that many waterfowlers do not fully understand, but should be factored in when chosing chokes, shotshells, etc..

#5 ·
Whooo-Wee h2ofwlr ! ! ! ! :eek: I love a true understanding of whazz-up.

Agree 100%

I really don't have a need for the Extended Pattern Chokes. I'm a duck man, so most all of my hunting is up close and personal. But think they are a great thing for extended shooting.

I have bought the Briley Choke Tubes for my SBE, and mainly to have the extended ends. I carry 2 chokes with me all the time, and make adjustments as dictated by the birds. No need for a Choke Key to take out the tubes, just twist out the old and twist in the new. I make this adjustment standing knee deep in water. cooter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.