somebody please help the new guy

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

somebody please help the new guy

Postby ollybama » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:57 am

Hey y'all I'm movin out austin way this fall around sept. I'm looking for a little help gettin to know the area.is it hard ot find places ot hunt? The behinds around here have everywhere posted How is the duck and goose hunting? I'm I going to have to be in state 6 month before I can buy a resident lic? Anyone needing a new huntin partner this winter look me up are my pintail decoys going to be useful? I got a hundred question to ask so if you can be of any help please let me know THANKS
ollybama
hunter

Postby Acuna » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:21 pm

I am in Austin. What do you need to know. There is SOME public hunting in the area, but if you have a boat you are going to be able to hunt a lot more places. As far as the pintail dekes are concerned they are going to be great on the coast. There are a LOT of pintails on the coast, for around here (Austin) get yourself a dozen hotbuy mallards and get after it. Perhaps get a half dozen GHG gadwalls or something too. Around here small spreads do well.

As the season gets near, things will get more fired up around here and a lot of information should be bouncing around.

Acuna
This is the same Acuna from the 'fuge
Acuna
Newb

Postby ollybama » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:18 pm

Thanks Acuna I'll have a new boat shortly after I get there ,sold mine here to much crap to move.what kind of hunting is it mostly? small rivers, lakes? I'm looking foward to getting out there and ckecking it out in a couple weeks so thanks for your help
ollybama
hunter

Postby texan68 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:53 am

hey,
Finally some Austinites on this site. If you live in or near Austin, the best in the area would be Granger Lake just past Georgetown. Public but somewhat good, could be better if those farmers in the surrounding property would try growing crops instead of grazing it to near death. Lots of woodies, gadwalls, and bluebills. Not a lot of geese, like I said there's no food for em...you might get a few come in over your spread, but don't count on it. I carry a doz. mallards, and a half to a full doz bluebills. Keep the pintails for the coast.
texan68
hunter

Postby ollybama » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:04 pm

thanks tex I'm really lookin forward to movin's there. I' m used to hunting on pretty good size lakes, sounds like I won't need 7 doz. decoys Whats the best camo patterns ? I have to use alot of desert patterns cuz it's sandy banks and rocks' The water pretty low here in the winter.not alot of cover. Does it green up pretty good ? I'm so tired of this dry-ass brown here in the " golden state" It's hittin 104 this week so everything is fried til november when the weather changes.If its green here its in rows and You can't hunt it cuz of the farmworkers Thanks for the info. maybe we'll see ya in the blinds
ollybama
hunter

Postby texan68 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:12 pm

ollybama,
There really isn't any one camo for Granger.....any would do.....ok maybe not the desert stuff.
texan68
hunter

Postby ollybama » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:32 pm

thanks tex I got it covered then, slow *** lawyers I though I be there by now .Teal season open in sept?,I got to wait till nov. ta get on'em, at least doves start in sept. thanks
ollybama
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:29 pm

:welcome:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby Fester » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:43 pm

:welcome: new guy. Teal season is open in September.
Do you want more ducks?
Click here to join Delta Waterfowl
Fester
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting