2008 Derby thread

Discussion of football, baseball, hockey, basketball, Nascar, etc..

Moderators: gotduck68415, HoCoHunter

2008 Derby thread

Postby kyduck » Mon May 05, 2008 5:39 pm

First of all congrats to big brown...what a horse! Finished strong at the end. He certainly has a good shot at the triple crown.

And now the story that everyone is probably tired of hearing, but none the less I thought I would spark the conversation and add my 2 cents. Eight bells was a good horse, not the best that day, but good. In case you missed the race, there was a tragic accident in that eight bells broke both front legs and had to be euthanized on the track. The announcers brought it to peoples attention and stated that it was definitely a tragedy. TV coverage continued during this time and big brown was given the roses as the winner.
Now the criticism begins.
First they say that it was the jockeys fault, and he should be suspended---my opinion: Get off his back, he probably feels worse than anyone else at that track and now he has to hear all this critism from PETA and others. That horse has raced the same way many times without injury, it was a freak accident that can occur with the sport. Every sport has injuries--some worse than others.

Second they blame the sport of horse racing for animal cruelty--my opinion: Crap. Why would someone want to change or terminate a sport that has been part of tradition for so many years because of a rare accident? They say it is similar to Vick's dog fights? I almost want to laugh, but can't because of my extreme anger at the idiots who write this stuff. Horse racing is in no way like dog fighting and should not be compared. The same writer also compared horse racing to chick fil a and the killing of chickens? Need I say more?
Lastly..Groups would like to at least see the track changed to synthetic surface because there are less injuries to the horses--my opinion...rational, but no. Just because you change a surface doesn't mean these accident will not happen again. So what do you do when you change the track and a horse breaks both its ankles--ban the sport?
Final comments: Again this is totally a rant and my opinion, but I just couldn't take it anymore. Reading all of this crap on the internet about PETA this and animal rights that burns me up. Sure I don't enjoy seeing a tragedy like that happen, (and I do feel bad for the horse, jockey, trainer, and owner) but accidents happen. The tradition at churchill downs should in no way be altered and the races should continue as they have for many years. Big Brown should be remembered for winning the roses in 2008 as the best horse, with Eight Bells giving a valiant effort. Eight bells reputation should be remebered for her great run and not tarnished by statements of cruelty and criticism of her or her team. My condolences to Eight Bells team...and she did "run the race of her life"--eight bells trainer.
kyduck

Hunting in the bluegrass
kyduck
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon May 05, 2008 5:59 pm

I'm just happy the prices of glue and dog food are going to go down.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby QUACK3XS » Mon May 05, 2008 9:08 pm

DAMN......I thought this was about "DEMOLITION DERBYS" :rofl:
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue May 06, 2008 8:16 am

Totally agree with you kyduck. But you have to remember the vast majority of those comments are coming from PETA. We all know they're not right in the head. I'm not a Hillary Clinton fan by any means, but she placed a bet on Eight Belles and PETA is also calling for her to denounce horse racing publicly.

I watched the race and as far as I could tell Eight Belles was running great. She showed she could keep up with the boys for sure. Even after the finish line and right before the accident, her ears were up and she appeared to be running okay. It just seems like a tragic, freak accident. :(

Now Big Brown just looked AWESOME. He's a good contender for the Preakness and as fresh as he seemed after the Derby it looks like he could have the stamina for the Belmont. It'll interesting to see how he can run if he gets behind another horse and gets some dirt kicked up in his face.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby duckbuster06 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:10 am

I agree, everybody should shut up. Horse racing is Kentucky. The thoroughbred capital of the world is about 10 minutes outside of Lexington, yet the Herald Leader keeps running front page articles that are littered with PETA and Humane Society quotes about how horse racing should be banned, blah blah blah. I don't understand why people are so quick to try to destroy a tradition that defines most of central Kentucky.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby choclab » Wed May 07, 2008 11:00 am

Outdoor Gal wrote: It'll interesting to see how he can run if he gets behind another horse and gets some dirt kicked up in his face.

He started out in the 12th slot in the Florida Derby and the 20th slot in the Kentucky....lol. How much more behind does he need to be. He starts out in the back and stalks for awhile before turning it on.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed May 07, 2008 12:33 pm

I'm definately not a racing expert and I didn't see the Florida Derby, so I can't comment on that. But in the Run for the Roses, even though he started from the #20 post position, he stayed clean and off to the side of the pack. I'm wondering how he would do if he has to come from the middle of the pack and actually has to get dirty.

(Where's a shrugging smilie when you need it?)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby MicCog » Thu May 08, 2008 2:34 pm

I don't remember seeing this much when Barbaro broke his leg? I mean just about everyone that has had horses knows that the chances of recovery from that injury were pretty slim, but it wasn't PC enough in my opinion to have him put down, so instead they let him suffer with Laminitis......But that's the times we live in...all the bleeding hearts.....

Now that being said, I've been around horses my whole life, and trained horses. I don't see why they couldn't wait one more year for the horses to develop so they're not at as much risk for injury either on the track or later in life...sorry I've seen too many "off the track horses" that have wind splints, or calcium deposits on the knees, and were retired and pretty much worthless at 7......in Europe they don't race until the horse is fully grown and all the growth plates are sealed.

Now, that being said, I like to watch the races and don't think artificial surfaces are the answer, what is every trainer going to have artifical surface to practice on??? UM NO.... and that's where the injuries are more likely to occur at home not the track.....
didn't anyone learn anthing from astro-turf?

Eight Belles ran a heck of a race and showed more heart IMO than most horses do in a life time. I felt horrible for the jockey he tried so hard to get her back up so she wouldn't seize and held her in her last moments, how can you say he was punishing her? bunch of crap...now I'm all fired up!! :mad:
well, that's my 2 cents....
Tara of
MicCog LLC
MicCog
hunter

Return to Sports