Stuck choke tube!!!

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Stuck choke tube!!!

Postby CMURPHY » Wed May 07, 2008 3:14 pm

My choke tube is stuck in my barrel. This is the second time this has happened. I have tried every trick in the book i even brought it to cabelas to see if they could but nothing just wondering if you guys know how I can get it out. My first on the coating on the choke started to come off and thats what made it stuck and i think this it the same thing. Oh by the way it is a Stoger p-350
A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will sit next to you and say damn that was fun.
CMURPHY
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed May 07, 2008 6:33 pm

Your over tightening it. best thing I have found with this is to apply anti-seize then tighten it finger tight, and 1/8th further with wrench or quarter.

To remove it. go to local auto parts store or discount store (wal-mart) and buy a can of "PB BLASTER"

Its the best there is at getting stuck things unstuck.. You can put some in a Styrofoam cup, in 30mins.. there will be none in the cup.

Just sprey some in the top crack and around in there wait 10-15 mins and try it again.. if it still doesn't work.. you stuck it good, and you'll need to get your wrench out, and get more torque on it. by using vice grips, open end wrench something to get more torque.

The problem I see with stuck chokes is people over tightening, and not removing them to oil etc.. instead the threads rust together.

If you still cant get it.. here comes drastic measures.

MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE ALL THE OIL.. Get one of those $5-$15 torches. there small handheld.

gunsmith trick Heat the barrel ON THE INSIDE SLIGHTLY.. for maybe 15 sec.. all the way around the barrel. try it if it doesn't come out add 10sec of heat time. DO NOT DO THIS ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE GUN. Eventually it will come out... I have had to resort to it once... but PB BLASTER usually works.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lostpup » Wed May 07, 2008 7:11 pm

I just went through this with a friends gun ( remington spartan ) so heat was not an option with the lead in between the barrels . I used PB blaster but with not much luck . How I finaly got it was to grind down two of the four lugs on a speed wrench and use a 3/8 ratchet to get the tourque I needed . When all else fails talk to a trap , skeet shooter in your area most will know someone that can remove it . They take a piece of all thread with a plate at the reciver and can unscrew it with the right wrench on the other end of the all thread but don't try it unless you are really crafty with gadgets let someone else do it that has done it before . I have seen them screech all the way out at I thought the barrel would be ruined . The right gun smith can do it farily cheap.....hope this helps......Lostpup
lostpup
Forum & State Moderator

Postby flight canceled » Wed May 07, 2008 7:47 pm

you are sopposed to loob the choke tub up everytime you put it in and take it out. and clean it on a regular basis. Happened to my uncles gun and he tried to get it off too but he just assumed he was SOL. i would try a wrench or somethin to fit in the notches on the tub, get some leverage and use to pb blaster.
If you want peace, prepare for war.
flight canceled
hunter

Postby MM » Wed May 07, 2008 8:25 pm

spray some "Liquid Wrench" in and let it sit an hour. If this stuff cant loosen it up, nothing can. You can get it anywhere for about 5 bucks
Like us on facebook! Reelfishingchat.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ReelFishi ... 6234462878
MM
Super Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu May 08, 2008 1:07 pm

CMURPHY, the feller in this topic had the exact same problem as you, and he got it out. Read and see how: http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=61550
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby captainduckhead » Thu May 08, 2008 1:19 pm

It sounds like you shot too large a shot through the barrel, or a slug. I've seen people do this and it expands the choke tube and makes it basically permanent. My brother has a shotgun that has the choke expanded in the barrel and won't come out.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby HunterX » Thu May 08, 2008 5:51 pm

Yep the captain is right, the choke has expanded in the barrel. I've been thru this b4. I got my stuck choke out by clamping the barrel and using a vise wrench to take it out. When I looked at it, there was some expansion towards the middle of the choke but I no longer tend to use this choke although it did throw some nice patterns.
HunterX
hunter

Postby CMURPHY » Fri May 09, 2008 7:33 am

HunterX wrote:Yep the captain is right, the choke has expanded in the barrel. I've been thru this b4. I got my stuck choke out by clamping the barrel and using a vise wrench to take it out. When I looked at it, there was some expansion towards the middle of the choke but I no longer tend to use this choke although it did throw some nice patterns.

Thats exactly what happened The middle expanded and the coating on the choke came off.
A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will sit next to you and say damn that was fun.
CMURPHY
hunter

Postby duk man » Tue May 27, 2008 7:42 pm

i spray mine with either wd-40 or 3-n-1 oil. then i only put em in finger tight instead of as tight as i can get it with the wrench. and periodically during the year, when i clean the gun, ill take it out and re spray it, or just break it loose and screw it back in.
Team Fowl to the Bone "in it for the limit"
duk man
account suspended for advertising/promo

Postby swampwise » Tue May 27, 2008 8:51 pm

try dipping the muzzle of the gun in hot water and then wrench it out. in the future, only tighten it finger tight when you put it in, because when you shoot, the heat expands the choke and sticks it tighter in the barrel.

a little gun grease on the choke threads also never hurt.
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby shane019 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:44 pm

Had the same problem with my stoeger M2000. My imp. cylinder and mod got seized in I could barely get them out. they expanded in the middle of the tube. All i had left was full so put it in and wasn't able to get it out of the barrel. So depending on what choke you have in there chances are you are never getting it out. I took my gun to the gunsmith and he opened the choke up to amod. for me.
shane019
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:40 am

Did you get this out yet?

If not try this, I have removed more stuck chokes than I can cound when I had me shop, Most were due to salt water corrosion but a few were expanded.

You need a dead blow hammer with sofe or plastic surface (any hammer will work but I use a dead blow). Remove barrel and wrap the end of the barrel in a shop rag of I have found lately that duct tape works also to protect the surface. then on a hard wood bench or block (use a 2x4 in a pinch) you just lightly work your way around the barrel hitting it the full length of the choke tube all the way around. Be carefull of the rib and sight and use a pretty good hit but not enough to cause damage. go around it 6 or 8 times and try your wrench, if not then hit it some more. it will come out. It is usually best to hit is with some penetrating oil the day before to loosten any rust. PB blaster works as does most other penetrating oils, WD40 will not work as well, it evaproates too fast.

I use anti seize on all my chokes and tighten them up TIGHT. never had any issues at all.
Last edited by waterfowlhunter on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby brassass » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:45 am

if you can't get it out, briley manufacturing in houston can fix the barrel for you if the replacement barrel is too expensive. They are right around 300 bucks with a new choke
brassass
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:04 pm

If it happens in the future, cork the choke end and fill it with penetrating oil.

Then throw that tube away. If its expanded, its ruined. Don't wait for it to get stuck that you need a vice to remove it.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cuppedup50 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:44 pm

yea the pb blaster stuff works wonders.
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby atwoodflash » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:29 pm

We can remove it for $40 dollars but cannot gaurantee the tube will be saved! PM if interested
atwoodflash
hunter

Postby mox » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:17 pm

Greenster took the words right out of my mouth.

PB Blaster: Don't leave home without it!!
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:52 am

One more thing, use grease on choke tubes, not oil. There is a difference.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:47 am

Scott Carlson just called me and asked me what the !@&% I had done to the tube in the one I sent them. They told me that they are unsure whether they'll be able to get it out without damaging the barrel.

If you use large shot and factory tubes, you'll eventually bulge the threads to the point where there ain't no getting the thing out. I was honored to find that mine's the worst case they've ever seen, which makes me feel somewhat special, whilst sick at my stomach when I think about having to buy a new barrel for the gun.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Jarbo03 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:01 pm

Did you make the same mistake i did and spray your chokes with gun action cleaner instead of oil. I wont make that mistake again!! PB Blaster saved the day once again, that stuff is amazing.
Jarbo03
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum