New to Kansas

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

New to Kansas

Postby KSGunner » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:06 am

I'm new to Kansas, for the second time. I live in Overland Park back in the 80's, but this is a first for my son.

I'd like to find a dad with a son that is 16 or 17 to hunt with, who lives in the KC area and wants to get out and hunt.

I have some access to property and have a bunch of full body goose (6 dzn) and duck decoys (3 dzn).

My son is a great kid, but a bit slow meeting people. He has some great friends that he will be leaving Denver and I'd like to get him into some good hunting exeperiences in Kansas with a hunting buddy to help ease the big change.

If you know of anyone that fits this bill, send me the information. Or is there any other way my son can get hooked up with other 16 year olds that like to hunt.

Dennis King
KSGunner
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:19 am

I'm 16, I live about 30 miles south of Salina... It's quite the drive for him to com hunt down here, but if he's willing I could set us up on a duck hunt. Or maybe we could meet somewhere in between, I know there is some great hunting around Neosho... I think that's somewhere inbetween.

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KSGunner » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:52 am

Mallyard,

Thanks for the offer. We will definitely head out one day and hunt Cheyene Bottoms. I have great intelligence on where to go for the ducks. It's a hike and it's wet, but worth the trek. Let's get out there after the weather gets colder. Will this work?

I'm also looking for someone closer to Overland Park, where we can head out during the week for a quick trip.

Anyone in the Overland Park or Olathe areas?
KSGunner
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:27 pm

I know you can kill birds straight south of ya on the Marais des Cygnes State are. The NWR doesn't have much duck hunting to offer. I only hunted it a couple of times when I was working on the NWR. You have to work for them cause it is over run too, but there are ducks to kill.

I can't give up my location or where I hunt, cause we are already over run by the JOCO. Not that I am saying you're a bad guy, buy lots of other city boys have left a sour taste in my mouth and they do it year after year. I trust no one.

If you need more info about the Marais des Cygnes state or NWR let me know, and I will try to point you in the right direction.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby KSGunner » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:32 am

I appreciate the tips. Actually, I'm not looking for places to hunt.

I'm looking for hunting partners for my 16 year old son. I want to enjoy the hunt with a dad and other teen.

I belong to a club and have access to great property.
KSGunner
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:11 pm

Hey KSgunner.. We've got an awsome wetland only 10 miles from where I live. It'd be alot shorter drive for you guys, it'd cut atleast an hour off of the drive. I know the area well and could get us onto some ducks... just let me know what you want to do, and we'll geterdun...

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KSGunner » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:37 am

Mallyard,

Thanks, we will get together and shoot a few.
KSGunner
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting