Kiwis

Mexico, Europe, South America, New Zealand, etc. Countries other than the US and CA.

Kiwis

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:11 am

Any Kiwis on here that can tell me if they are still doing any banding in NZ? Here's two Canadas I killed on the South Island a few years ago. Just curious.

Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby bonecrusher » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:39 pm

Yes we still are banding in New Zealand, (though not all Fish & Game Regions) I got three this season
bonecrusher
hunter

Re: Kiwis

Postby NZ waterfowler » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:50 am

Where in the south island did you get those bands . I,m a fellow kiwi and have only shot one goose band in 20 years of hunting ? :grooving:
Canada geese really are models for men .Zack Taylor
NZ waterfowler
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:00 pm

WNW of Christchurch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby NZ waterfowler » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:54 pm

That would make it the Molesworth Station area there are about 12 thousand geese in that area and those geese are tagged on Lake Ellesmere , near Christchurch .
Canada geese really are models for men .Zack Taylor
NZ waterfowler
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:08 pm

Thanks for the info. I wasn't far from Ellesmere. We were shooting Swans and I killed them in the same field.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:00 pm

what did the US fish and Wildlife band come off of? and where was it banded?
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:58 pm

It was on a Canada I killed some years ago and will have to find the info. I think it was banded in Canada maybe Ontario, but not sure.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby NZ WEBFOOT » Tue May 28, 2013 3:28 pm

Did you hunt with John Gemmell in Hamner ?
NZ WEBFOOT
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:35 pm

13 more days to endure lads...be firm.... :thumbsup:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:54 am

NZ WEBFOOT wrote:Did you hunt with John Gemmell in Hamner ?

Yes have hunted with him and also in Queenstown on the south. Palmerston North, Masterton, Taupo on the South.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed May 11, 2016 10:58 pm

MAN THIS SITE HAS GONE SLOW
now 2016 just finished opening weekend
between 4 of us we managed 24 ducks and 11 giant canadas
went out Monday for jump shoot as my buddy wanted a black swan,got that then 7 ducks
went out Monday night with my teenage son and we managed another 7 :thumbsup:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun May 15, 2016 4:22 pm

Any pics?

They ever get things arranged to allow foreigners the opportunity to hunt down there?
beretta24
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed May 18, 2016 12:00 am

beretta24 wrote:Any pics?

They ever get things arranged to allow foreigners the opportunity to hunt down there?

didnt bother with the camera this year :no:
and its never been an issue to hunt here for visitors from overseas....my Mate from Sweden has managed all our waterfowl bar the Grey Duck...which he is off to chase tomorrow and we have only been out 4times.
so far hes taken canada goose/grey goose/pukeko/paradise duck/mallard/Black Swan and a beaut male spoonbill-shovellor
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed May 18, 2016 5:39 am

Ok, you must be in New Zealand, for some reason I was thinking Australia. I would love to hunt New Zealand some time for all those species and peacock.

Not sure I've ever seen a more picturesque country to hunt.
beretta24
hunter

Postby sloe » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:50 am

Overseas visitors can hunt game birds and animals in Australia. Waterfowl can be hunted in 4 states. In Victoria the season runs for around 10 weeks from mid March with 8 species generally available. Bag limit varies from season to season up to 10 birds a day. A overseas visitors firearms lic. and game bird lic. is required. While hunting with a person who has a local LIc. No waterfowl I.D. is required. I have had a number of overseas friends hunt with me.We have even travelled to Tasmania and hunted Cape Barren geese and Peacocks. Only one issue since 1997 we don't have semi autos or pumps only 2 shots. I still take as many birds during the season and use a lot less ammo. Just made me a better shot .
sloe
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:26 pm

That's great it's available. What species are reasonable to target during a trip?

I've hunt in Europe, Argentina, and throughout the US, but Australia and new Zealand are still on my to do list.
beretta24
hunter

Postby sloe » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:33 am

If you were prepared to travel about the state it would be possible to take all 8 species. In a average year, where I hunt 6 species would not be a problem. The better years you can take all 8 in my area. We only had 7 on the list this year and a poor season I shot all 7. If you want to have a look at the birds google Game Management Auth. Victoria click on ducks and you can see what they look like. The Northern Territory has a later season than the southern states and have several other varieties as well as Magpie Geese. But you need to be prepared for the heat and 100% humidity.
If you were thinking of NZ I can recommend John Gemmell at Hanmer Springs. Did a trip with him some time back. Knows his stuff.
sloe
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:26 am

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated. Sometimes it's hard finding good links with information on hunting in other countries because our search engines seem to assume you don't want to know about hunting elsewhere, or they just don't prioritize hunting information period.
beretta24
hunter

Return to International Duck Hunting