Probelm with Red Dot Shotgun Scope For Turkeys

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Probelm with Red Dot Shotgun Scope For Turkeys

Postby NMBlackgold » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:12 pm

I recently purchased a red dot scope for turkey hunting. I am crazy about it exept for one thing, the front optics have an "orange tint" (or glare) that turkeys can see for a mile away when the scope is pointed exactly in their direction. So far I have had at least 5 turkeys spook because of this glare from the front glass. The scope has a front, screw on, shroud that helps reduce the glare but not totally. First, what is the reason for the "tint" on the scope?, and second, can I do something to reduce the glare from it? Any info or suggestions would help.

Thanks
NMBlackgold
hunter

Re: Probelm with Red Dot Shotgun Scope For Turkeys

Postby Johnch » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:51 pm

NMBlackgold wrote: First, what is the reason for the "tint" on the scope?, It is tinted so the dot you see can be reflected back at your eye and second, can I do something to reduce the glare from it? Make a longer front tube extedtion , I have seen several made out of PVC pipe Any info or suggestions would help.

Thanks

I have had a red dot on my turkey gun for years
Never had one spook unless I moved

By chance is there something else that might be reflecting
Like the mount or rings ?

John
I only work to aford so I can aford to hunt

Steel 90% of the time
HD or Hevi 10% of the time when the ducks and geese don't play fair
Johnch
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:06 pm

John, thanks for the response, I have looked at every possiblity for my spooked turkeys, and the common denominator is the front glass on the scope. I didnt believe it until i looked at it myself from 30, 40, and 50 yards directly in front of the scope. The orange reflection is there even if the scope is in the shade. If there is just a small angle, it is not visible. I am thinking the longer tube extension would narrow that angle. I have had to keep the shotgun pointed down or up slighlty to avoid being detected. I usually like to "follow the approaching bird through the scope, but can no longer do that. Take care
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:28 pm

NMBlackgold wrote: I usually like to "follow the approaching bird through the scope, but can no longer do that.

how far is your "typical" shot? just wondering why the scope.
bluewing77
hunter

Why Scope

Postby NMBlackgold » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:05 pm

Bluewing, a typical shot for me is 35 yards. I found out the hard way that my new at the time shotgun shoots a foot and a half low and to the left out of the box. When a bird is coming in, the last thing I would think about is aiming a foot high and right, so i went with the reddot. I cannot believe how precise I can pattern and aim at a distance now, something I could never do with regular shotgun sights (which are seemed larger than the target (head) at distance).. Take care
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:19 pm

Your shotgun was more then a foot off? :huh:
Does it have sights like a rifled barrel, or a bead, because you might want to get that looked at
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:27 pm

shoot n Goose, its a bead type barrel. Yup a foot and half off at 25 yards. I patterned all of my bird guns since and they are not perfect either (but close). It seems to cycle and shoot OK, could there be another issue?? Thanks.
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:33 pm

Could it be your choke, or maybe the ammo? :huh:
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Yes! It patterns better with the factory choke set, nearly perfect with the improved. The tighter chokes start to drift, I bought a turkey choke and it all went to pot after that. I didnt realize how bad until later. I did try several choke/ammo combinations. The variations among different ammo types and shot size was nominal with same choke. The choke itself seemed to cause the variations. The 3" Remington Nitro Magnums 6s pattern the best from my shotgun with the Turkey choke. I tried hevi shot 5s, 3.5" magnums Fed and Rems and 2 3/4 inch magnums of all shot sizes with just OK results.
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:54 pm

So why not use the improved choke? Or email the gun maker and ask what choke they recomend
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:00 pm

If I shot one of these New Mexico Turkeys with an improved cylinder, it would shake a couple of times and wonder why the mosquitos were bitting so early. Their tough, as you probably know.
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:42 pm

:lol: You could also ask a gunsmith at your local outdoors store.
By the way, what kind of gun is it
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:39 pm

Its a Stoeger-Turkey
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby NCSportsman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:30 pm

You could take a piece of your screen face mask or any other camo screen and rap it around the front it takes away from your light gathering but makes less reflection.
NCSportsman
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:14 pm

do what snipers do and mesh the scope front, or cardboard the end so only a 1/4 inch gap is left to look through.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby duckin-A » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:22 pm

my scope also has a green dot option.....i always use the green dot! :thumbsup:
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:32 am

This is the worst scope ever made for turkey hunting. good luck picking up a turkey in it if you miss and need a quick follow-up shot. Can't tell you how many guys I've seen miss with that POS scope- and not be able to get a second shot off. one guy took it of in the field and chunked it in a pond!
It looks good...But in practice, it just plain sucks!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Indaswamp

Postby NMBlackgold » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:38 am

Indaswamp wrote:This is the worst scope ever made for turkey hunting. good luck picking up a turkey in it if you miss and need a quick follow-up shot. Can't tell you how many guys I've seen miss with that POS scope- and not be able to get a second shot off. one guy took it of in the field and chunked it in a pond!
It looks good...But in practice, it just plain sucks!

Hey Idaswamp, which scope where you refering to? Not familiar with a POS scope. Is that the one with the green and red dot?
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:30 pm

P.O.S....piece of sh!t.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby NMBlackgold » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:03 pm

Indaswamp wrote:P.O.S....piece of sh!t.

Duhhh... me slow..
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby Maineduckhunter » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:00 am

I've been using a red dot scope for years on my gun, I've never experienced what you are describing. How certain are you that the scope is actually the reason that the Turkeys spooked? As John mentioned, the coating is there to reflect the LED light back to your eye, so that you can see it. I have flip up caps on my scope, which are there for weather protection. Sometimes I flip them up, sometimes I don't depends on the situation. I've killed birds using it on sunny day's, as well as cloudy day's. As other on here have mentioned, you can try modifying it, with a cover of some sorts. Good luck with this one, and let us know how you overcome this.
Maineduckhunter
hunter

Postby reloader-51 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:30 pm

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but if your gun is shooting that far off with open sights, have you checked to see if you are right or left eye dominant? Just a thought.
reloader-51
Newb

Postby NMBlackgold » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:35 am

Maineduckhunter wrote:I've been using a red dot scope for years on my gun, I've never experienced what you are describing. How certain are you that the scope is actually the reason that the Turkeys spooked? As John mentioned, the coating is there to reflect the LED light back to your eye, so that you can see it. I have flip up caps on my scope, which are there for weather protection. Sometimes I flip them up, sometimes I don't depends on the situation. I've killed birds using it on sunny day's, as well as cloudy day's. As other on here have mentioned, you can try modifying it, with a cover of some sorts. Good luck with this one, and let us know how you overcome this.

Hey Maine, thanks for the response, I am very certain about my spooked birds being from the glare of the front glass (see my response to john). The scope I chose is basically a tube type "tactical" scope that they (the company) have adapted for turkey hunting (ie small 3mm rectical, narrow, low profile mounts and tube to reduce snagging etc.) Seems logical as a tactical scope is built for both precision and quick follow up shots (as needed for turkey hunting). Look at any tactical magazine or personal defense mag where they advertise these scopes and you will see what me and the turkeys see. I think it was a mistake on the manufactures part, it looks cool for tactical users but quite an obstacle in the turkey woods. If yours is the same as mine, you should be able to see it with ease at 30 and 40 yards if pointed in your direction. I have to say, the positives with this scope outway the negatives by a mile.

As for the cure, I have tried the netting over the front but experienced areas of shading and spotting of the viewing area. I have a shrowd that helps but does not elimate the problem. I guess I will continue to just keep the barrel down until the last second.
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:45 am

i
reloader-51 wrote:I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but if your gun is shooting that far off with open sights, have you checked to see if you are right or left eye dominant? Just a thought.

reloader-51, yes have checked that, don't believe thats the reason. It just shot low and left out of the box (its a farely cheap shotgun so didn't have high expectations for it), glad it did, cause the precision I can get at distance with the scope is unparalled so far. take care..
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:21 pm

NMBlackgold wrote:
Maineduckhunter wrote:I've been using a red dot scope for years on my gun, I've never experienced what you are describing. How certain are you that the scope is actually the reason that the Turkeys spooked? As John mentioned, the coating is there to reflect the LED light back to your eye, so that you can see it. I have flip up caps on my scope, which are there for weather protection. Sometimes I flip them up, sometimes I don't depends on the situation. I've killed birds using it on sunny day's, as well as cloudy day's. As other on here have mentioned, you can try modifying it, with a cover of some sorts. Good luck with this one, and let us know how you overcome this.

Hey Maine, thanks for the response, I am very certain about my spooked birds being from the glare of the front glass (see my response to john). The scope I chose is basically a tube type "tactical" scope that they (the company) have adapted for turkey hunting (ie small 3mm rectical, narrow, low profile mounts and tube to reduce snagging etc.) Seems logical as a tactical scope is built for both precision and quick follow up shots (as needed for turkey hunting). Look at any tactical magazine or personal defense mag where they advertise these scopes and you will see what me and the turkeys see. I think it was a mistake on the manufactures part, it looks cool for tactical users but quite an obstacle in the turkey woods. If yours is the same as mine, you should be able to see it with ease at 30 and 40 yards if pointed in your direction. I have to say, the positives with this scope outway the negatives by a mile.

As for the cure, I have tried the netting over the front but experienced areas of shading and spotting of the viewing area. I have a shrowd that helps but does not elimate the problem. I guess I will continue to just keep the barrel down until the last second.

A Well known turkey biologist with the NWTF ...can't think of his name off the top of my head... states that scopes look like a preditors eye. That makes the turkeys spook. Same thing happens to us when we film..the camera lens spooks some turkeys. Can't be helped filming...but it can be helped if you are using a gun- take the scope off or expect some turkeys to spook.

James earl Kinermann is the guy's name....just remembered.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum