good goose call

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

good goose call

Postby texasduckblaster » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:04 pm

Im thinking about starting to goose hunt next season, and i was wondering what some good goose calls for beginers.
texasduckblaster
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:06 pm

An easy call to blow it the Big River Flute and its only about $30. Another good call is the Foils Meat Grinder, its a little bit tougher to blow. :thumbsup:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:01 am

For starting out I think a Winglock walnut short reed is a great call. Easy to blow, good range, very goosey and not too spendy. Not to mention Rick provides great customer service.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby vikingsfan » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:53 pm

The big flute is amazing for beginners i have one and love it! :thumbsup:
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby texasduckblaster » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:33 pm

thanx a lot ill go check those out.
texasduckblaster
hunter

Postby texasduckblaster » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:39 pm

hey how about the buck gardner canada hammer 2, is that any good?
texasduckblaster
hunter

Postby plainsman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:32 pm

By far the most user friendly call I've used came from Steve at
http://www.takeoff.to/waterfowlcallsbygoose
I've got a cocobola call from him.....great volume, tone and range. This call takes very little air to operate. My wife had never used a goose call if any type, but was getting very good sounds out of this call with-in minutes. I highly recommend his calls to anyone. :thumbsup:
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby ShortReed » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:57 pm

My first question would be, what type of call do you want? Basically there are shortreed and flute calls. Flutes are very easy to learn, and the Big River Long Honker flute is a good one. The shortreeds take a little more work but are definitely worth it in my opinion (not to mention they're less bulky). The Winglock that was mentioned is a great call along with the Zink poly PC-1. The Canada Hammer II is also a very good call in my opinion... and for $20 it's a steal. If you are just starting out and like that call, then buy it. All of those calls are under $35 which is a nice price for someone just getting into goose calling and I wouldn't hesitate to use them in the blind.

Also pick yourself up a good video like Honker Talk by Shawn Stahl or cd like Breakthrough II by Dave Smith. Those will help you pick up the basic sounds quickly which are necessary to get down before going onto the more advanced stuff, you will be able to tell when you are ready to try new stuff. The one thing I would not do is start with a flute, then try a shortreed. I would start with a shortreed right off the bat as the flute and shortreed are blown differently. Good luck man! :thumbsup:
Clint
Take 'em
ShortReed
hunter

Postby vikingsfan » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:11 pm

The buck gardner is a good call but pretty hard to learn for beginners, just like all short reeds it'll take practice.
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby texasduckblaster » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:26 pm

Is it any harder to learn how to blow a goose call than a duck call?
texasduckblaster
hunter

Postby ShortReed » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:53 pm

Duck calls are really pretty easy to learn IMO... goose calls are little more difficult. Flutes are, with a few exceptions, blown by using air from your mouth (actually blowing air from your mouth). Shortreeds are blown very similarly to a duck call... force air from your diaphram, not blow air from your mouth. If you puff up your cheeks and blow a duck call, it sounds like a party horn, right? Same thing with a shortreed, but with a flute you get goose! It's a personal preference, but you will get more sounds out of a shortreed.

Shortreeds may take a little more work than a duck call, but that's all part of the fun.
Clint
Take 'em
ShortReed
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:47 pm

:withstupid:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Robberwood » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:41 am

I would have to agree that goose calls are going to be a little more difficult than duck calls to learn. IMO if you just want a goose call to go out and hunt with and straight out of the box performance i would just get a flute. If u want to put some time into learning how to be a top knotch caller and be AWESOME in the feild i would get a short reed and practice everyday until season starts. Flutes are easy to learn and get the job done in most situations but a short reed opens up your possiblities. Good luck in whatever way you choose to go! :thumbsup:
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum