Public land in Kentucky

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Public land in Kentucky

Postby jwvallone » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:37 am

I need a little help with this. I am from Georgia and my brother is in Missouri. We are looking for some public locations in Kentucky (in the middle for both of us), that have some good duck hunting.

If there is anyone familiar with the area i would appreciate some knowledge being shared. I am not looking for anyones secret hole, but just some general info for good areas to get a few ducks for a weekend.

Thanks for any help!
jwvallone
Newb

Postby kyduck » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:15 pm

Depends on the area, but just about every lake in kentucky has some spots that may produce good hunting. The best hunting, in general, tends to be the most western part of the state. You might check out the blind drawings for the closest lakes to your area, or even some of the WMA's.
Good luck :thumbsup:
kyduck

Hunting in the bluegrass
kyduck
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:27 pm

Ditto
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hopelessaddict » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:45 pm

how can I find out which lakes are huntable and which ones are not?
hopelessaddict
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:58 pm

Go to the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife website and go to the Waterfowl hunting guide. They have a list of all of the public areas and the regulations for each spot.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hopelessaddict » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:22 am

found it...thanks!
hopelessaddict
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:01 am

Barkley lake / ky lake. barkeley and ky are first come first serve but barkley has blinds on it you cant hunt out of someones blind until 30 mins before sunrise to see if they havent claimed it. North end of barkley is typically divers and south end of Ky is typically divers. puddlers is vice versa. geese well we all know we dont get many geese any more.

Ballard wma has a ton of birds usually but it cost 10 bucks a person to hunt a blind if u get drawn, check the online reports, the bird count fluxuates. pits and blinds only. wed-sun hunting only

boatwright wma we have 1st lake, 2nd lake, fish, buck, flat and beaver dam. (dont ever hunt fish). flat is open water. buck is good all over but 7 is hard to access at times. Beaver Damn is only for 1 boat. First lake is 3 spots, no boat ramp, very very steep bank. You can draw pits and blinds in boatwright for free but it is hit or miss just like every other spot, some have good water and some dont. You can walk in on the timber areas and take a boat any where but u cant hunt out of the boat. (Swamp, Buck, Flat, blenderman tract, few others i dont know)
wed-sun hunting only

Doug travis wma: has some lakes and spots with blinds, if they dont show up you can hunt. (i've never hunted it)

winford pond wma (can be a hot wood duck spot)

Clarksriver wma (early draw for flooded impoundments, currently over), also check out blizzard pond if you dont mind walking a long ways (a mile easy)

McCracken Co wma: there is a DU area and a few ponds that can be hunted, this area is better when flood water is out.

Hickman co: 1000 acre woods is good when the flood waters is out, expect alot of people, and you can get lost or end up on private land easy.

Sloughs wma: I believe jenny hole etc are first come first serve, then there is quota hunt blinds, if someone doesnt show up you can hunt it.

Kaler wma there is some flooded timber as well as buck brush but it's a hell of a walk and very hard to access. This is not a high traffic area for the ducks ethier. Also there is lots of beaver/otter runs that you will never be able to touch. just a warning.
Last edited by teamoutlaw on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Re: Public land in Kentucky

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:29 pm

sticky that
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:31 pm

I tried to get then to make a sticky of the public hunting in ky thread I put up. Don't matter. People will still just post a new thread.
TEAM T&A / OUTLAW
2014 / 2015 Season

KY:
Canadas:
Snows:
Ducks:
WI
Geese:
Ducks:

Haddix Game Calls Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:39 pm

yours really had no detail tho lol
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby KyFowl20 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:40 pm

I wasn't offering info. It was a thread for people to ask questions. So there wasn't a million fn threads started about the same thing.
TEAM T&A / OUTLAW
2014 / 2015 Season

KY:
Canadas:
Snows:
Ducks:
WI
Geese:
Ducks:

Haddix Game Calls Prostaff
KyFowl20
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:43 am

That's good info Outlaw... Thanks for sharing that... Now everyone knows where to go
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby feetdownky » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:51 pm

I noticed you left out all the information about "the swamp". Don't forget that place, or do we not want everyone crowding you out?
About morals, I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after.
Ernest Hemingway
feetdownky
hunter

Re:

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:34 am

All the info is on there. there's always a million questions about every area each season.

here is a link to the guide. http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/1314waterfowlguide.pdf

I have had good luck at every spot but sloughs (never been there) but I also scouted and worked by butt off for the birds I shot.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting