TreeStand Height

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

TreeStand Height

Postby Tjengle » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:56 pm

I am sure this is a question that many people ask, but how high should a tree stand be set to be the most effective? Either a ladder stand or hand on or climber? Mostly for use during bow season.

Also I am looking for a way to conceal the ladder of my ladder stand does anyone have any cheap ways to conceal a ladder stand?

Thanks I look forward to hearing your replies.
Last edited by Tjengle on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tjengle
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:10 am

I put my stand as high as I can get it. My theory is the higher you are the less you're scent will mess up the hunt and the less chance you'll be seen. I wouldn't ever go any lower than 15' though. As for concealing your ladder stand, go buy some of that leafy looking camo for blinds. It should be pretty cheap. You could try getting the military camo netting, but it will probably smell like mildew so you'll need to clean it and descent it before you use it.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lizard55033 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:35 am

Some states have height limitation say like 15'. It all depends on the weather and whether I'm using the hang-on stand or the climber.
Make Dem Splash
lizard55033
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:31 am

If you have a height limit the obviously follow it but really it all comes down to scouting. Its hard to set a actual limit when at 15 feet there might be a tree branch right in your way or there might be an awesome shooting hole at 17 feet. Wind is your biggest factor to. If you've got the wind at your favor then you can sit just off the ground really.

As far as concealing your ladder, just put the ladder out in the sun and make sure there's no shinny spot on it like the bolts and pins. Good old spray paint buddy.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tjengle » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:26 pm

There are no height restrictions here. I currently hunt a stand that is 15 foot high, I am just wondering if I bumped it up to 20-22 feet , if it would improve my chances of seeing deer.
Tjengle
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:08 am

Real bowhunters do it on the ground. :thumbsup: :hammer:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:40 pm

I don't know about seeing more, but you can be a little more sloppy when you draw and not worry about movement as much.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:51 pm

Ditto ^^ i hunt at 15 ft. and i have to be thinking the entire time, but i also hunt at 20-25ft and you could have a dance up there and they wont know it seems,
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:03 am

This message was paid for by DuckSlyer16.
I am DuckSlyer16 and I approve this message

Well there's his sig, and he agrees. I guess that means bump up that stand. :rofl:

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CMURPHY » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:05 pm

lizard55033 wrote:Some states have height limitation say like 15'.

I think (I may be wrong but) that 15' rule is only for perminant stands not hangons, laders, climbers, ect... at least thats how it is in MN.
A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will sit next to you and say damn that was fun.
CMURPHY
hunter

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:56 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:
This message was paid for by DuckSlyer16.
I am DuckSlyer16 and I approve this message

Well there's his sig, and he agrees. I guess that means bump up that stand. :rofl:

:biggrin: :lol: yes, bump it up, :lol:
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:09 pm

dang, i hunt 20 - 25 ft without even thinking about it! I've found the higher the better. they dont see you as much or smell you. plus unless theres a low canopy, you can see better too.
just stay safe.

and dont worry about the ladder. it doesnt need to be concealed

Real bowhunters do it on the ground.
:no: :rofl:
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:48 pm

Why must you constantly laugh at me. :rofl:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

stand position

Postby Flippsbigcountry » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:09 am

I feel that the proper stand height depends on the type of area your hunting. If im in younger hardwood stands or the canopy is low I will not get that high in the tree. But if Im in big pines or HW's than I'll get up 20-25ft or so. It does help with your scent some but if you spray scent shield on and use scent surp clothing and wash than most of the time you should be ok. But no matter what you do its hard to trick the nose of a whitetail if yur wind his blowing to them :eek:
"If it fly’s it dies, if it hops it drops, Oh yeah if it's brown it's down"
Flippsbigcountry
hunter

Postby TNmatt83 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:01 pm

I like to get as high as i possibly can, usually i'm around 22-25 ft. I've got a 25ft pullup rope and i'll usually go till it's all the way out.
TNmatt83
hunter

Postby mydogearl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:36 am

I mostly hunt out of 15 foot ladder stands and I dont do anything with the ladder, but it is usually concealed by its surroundings. For my hang-ons, they are usually around 15 feet or more, but I am more concerned with the cover and not being skylighted than I am concerned with the height. For me, cover is the most important (I'll hunt off the ground if necessary) and having the wind in my favor.
mydogearl
hunter

Re:

Postby dmznimrod » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:24 am

TNmatt83 wrote:I like to get as high as i possibly can, usually i'm around 22-25 ft. I've got a 25ft pullup rope and i'll usually go till it's all the way out.

i do exactly the same thing with my climber but, i have a 50 foot nylon rope and loop it at half way, whereas i have 2 pull ups. if needed i go way up in redpines (40' is no problem) to over look clear cuts in gun season. wow what a view :hi:
DMZNIMROD
dmznimrod
hunter

Re: TreeStand Height

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:13 am

IMO stand height is totally dependent on the particular tree and the spot where you set up. Usually never setup less than 20' and prefer to be closer to 30' up. Most people who I talk to think I am nuts for being up so high but I've had plenty of deer come in from downwind and never spook, so the higher up your scent-cone is, the better your chances are. If they don't smell you or see you move, you have the advantage!
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Return to Archery