05-06 dates

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

Do you think this is a Good idea?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:18 pm

Yes I support it
100%
No I dont like it
No votes

Total votes : 1

05-06 dates

Postby greenster » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:18 pm

Right now one of my current projects is talking with local and state wildlife officers about the up coming 05-06 waterfowl season. I am pushing for game and fish to move the date back, for the opening day to be December the Third (3) the first weekend in December. The dates will be chose in august. Reasons for this are mostly because it would bring the hunting season into the second week of February. The ducks aren’t just here in the last weeks of November or even until mid-December like they use to be. I think later date would also aid in the success of the hunter’s. I would just like to ask how many of you had success in the opening weeks of duck season. And compare it to the last weeks. Also I would like to see two, youth waterfowl dates of two days set instead of the one. I believe it may help introduce more youngsters into the sport and a much more positive attitude for the ones hunting on public land.

Please post you thought on this support or nonsupport I only want what is best for the ducks and there hunters.
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:55 pm

Yes, I support a later starting date. We don't get more than a few mallards until the 1st of December. Up until that point it's all spoonies, teal, gadwall and widgeon. Not that I'm against shooting those birds, but I go out there for the mallards. A strap of greenheads is one of the prettiest sights, IMO.

I'm not too sure about pushing the season back until mid-February. Everything I have read, and I can only assume that the biologists know a lot more than I do, is that mallards have already paired up. I already see this starting in mid-January. I would feel safe in betting a $100 bill that if I see a pair of mallards off in the distance around January 15th that the lead bird is a hen and a drake is following her. I've just seen it too much.

As for your comparison... We have GREAT success in the beginning of the season, but like I said above, it's mostly gaddies, teal, spoonies and widgeon with very few mallards thrown in. About mid-season the hunting just flat out sucks. It takes a lot of scouting time to find what remaining birds are left in the area. It then starts picking up for us again in the middle of December and then kind of dies that last week or so in January.

The youth season (as long as I've been taking a kid) has been two days. I admit to not paying attention or remembering the amount of days before that. The season before last it was after regular season and last season it was in December during the biggest split. Personally, I think it is a stupid idea to stick the youth hunt in December. The birds are very, very spooky at that time not to mention you're still shooting at the birds that should be resting during the split. The youth season after regular season is a much better idea, IMO. I have found that the birds have chilled out quite a bit and are a lot easier to work in close for the kids. The youth hunt is all about getting those kids on birds, letting them have your undivided attention and hammering the snot out of birds. One day like that and the kid will be hooked for life.

Now, with all that said here are the proposed 2005-2006 season dates the AGFC have decided on. The AGFC has selected the proposed dates the last 4 or 5 years I've been paying attention to them.

LITTLE ROCK - The mercury may be nearing the 100-degree mark in Arkansas, but today the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission was talking duck hunting. Specifically, the Commission announced the proposed the waterfowl season dates for the upcoming season.

The commission received the late season migratory bird selections from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service this week and decided to announce the proposed dates to give duck hunters an idea of the season parameters. Again this year, hunters will be allowed 60 days to hunt ducks in Arkansas. The proposed season dates include three splits and are projected to be:

Nov. 19 through Dec. 4
Dec. 16 to Dec. 24
Dec. 26 to Jan. 29, 2006

The proposed bag limits are six ducks consisting of:

four mallards (only one of which may be a hen)
two wood ducks
one canvasback
two redheads
one pintail
one black duck
three mottled ducks
three scaup

The proposed canvasback season is 30 days with a one bird bag limit, Dec. 31 to Jan. 29. The popular youth waterfowl hunt is projected to be Dec. 10-11 with bag limits the same as the regular season.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby greenster » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:14 am

Thanks for your information Yeller. Yes I talked to a biologist yesterday and he said the same thing about ducks pairing up in late Jan. He said it would cause too much stress on the population or some stuff like that. And as youth hunt goes I have never had problems with ducks in December when my family gets here about the 23rd I take them at least twice 5 year old and a 11 year old Boy's without problems of taking ducks but it also depends on where you’re at.
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:32 am

From what you've said and from what I've heard from some of my buddies in the SE part of the state you guys get new birds more frequently then we do which would make for a perfectly good youth hunt in December. There seems to be 2 to 3 weeks a season where we don't have new ones move in. The ones that have been sitting around for those 3 weeks know everything about the area and where hunters set up. They're as hard to pull in as mallards flying from one refuge to another.

Good luck this season! :thumbsup:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Buck » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:09 pm

I dont mind the Nov 19th opening,we usually have a few malllards then.The youth season has been better at the end of season for us.
Buck
Newb

Postby tistis » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:25 pm

Yeller you ain't shooting pairs any how just drakes! right
tistis
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:39 pm

You got that right, tis. I only shoot drake coots. I leave the hens alive to walk their way back up north to their sewage pond breeding grounds. :thumbsup:
ol' yeller
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting