1187 JAM HELP!!!!

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

1187 JAM HELP!!!!

Postby vital_kill » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Hey guys I have a 1187 20 gauge premier. This thing started to jam on me a couple weeks ago, It will jam 3" High Velocity Deer Slugs! It will fire the first shell and eject it, the next shell from the magazine tube would feed it to the carrier, but the carrier would not kick up the shell into the chamber and the bolt would hold open like the last shot was fired. I opened up the trigger assembly and took a good look around and took some pics of what I think is wrong. Please help me diagnose this issue. I have bought this gun for 3 years and only have about 100 rounds thru it.

http://www.putfile.com/pic/8432983

http://www.putfile.com/pic/8433073
vital_kill
hunter

Postby Johnch » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:49 pm

Yes the Carrier parts look broken
Replace

But why did the part break ?

Do you remember when it happened ?
Did a shell come 1/2 way out of the mag tube and jam

Or did it double feed and you have problems getting the 2 shell out ?

Did you CLEAN it ............?

Might be the carrier is in need of a clean and lube

It may have stuck

Second thing to try is remove the butt stoch
Clean and lightly oil the return spring

Lots of guys spray cleaner , WD or oil into the action and sit the gun stock down in the safe

The oil and crud flow into the return spring area in the butt and slowly congeal causing the spring to not push the bolt forward with enough force
Causing a out of time problem

John
I only work to aford so I can aford to hunt

Steel 90% of the time
HD or Hevi 10% of the time when the ducks and geese don't play fair
Johnch
hunter

Postby vital_kill » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:43 am

This it how it all started. I was hunting blue grouse with my cousin last year. We flushed out a grouse and I took one shot and the fired shell ejected, but the next shell just fell out of the loading port, and i thought that was crazy. Then I pressed the bolt release and chambered another round, this time the fired shell would jam half way with the next shell stuck between it. And the next shot after that, the fired shell would eject but the carrier will not kick up the next shell and the bolt will stay open as the last shot was fired. I took it home and throughly cleaned it and stored it away until a couple weeks ago when I used it again and the same problem everytime. This thing is SUPER CLEAN, no dirt, grease, or grime anywhere. anyone have pics of thier 1187 carrier?
vital_kill
hunter

Postby badandy970 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:32 am

Have you called Remington?????
Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
Sitka AK. Ducks Unlimited
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby vital_kill » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:47 pm

Badandy, I DID, REMINGTON HAS THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! I was out on hold for 2 hours and the first 50 calls they let me talk to a machine! Then two days later I got a hold of a representative that said i should send it to one of their certified repair center. I said why can't i send it to you, Illion NY? He said that's not an option. I told them you sell products that you are not willing to repair but have someone else do it? I went to many gunsmiths and they told me they never get parts from remington, they get it from brownells. After I fix this thing it's going under consignment at the local gun shop. Never a remington again.

*Edited by mod for language*
vital_kill
hunter

Postby badandy970 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:52 pm

How much do you wnat for it as it is ????
Semper Paratus
Final Approach Pro-Staff
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Duck Junkies Pro-Staff
Sitka AK. Ducks Unlimited
TEAM TRIPPLE H
TEAM BUSH QUACKED
badandy970@hotmail.com
badandy970
Forum & State Moderator

Postby vital_kill » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:21 pm

i don't know as of right now, whats the blue book value? i would say $400 around there, let me go grab the book.
vital_kill
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum