Duck Hunting Forum banner

Floating Blinds

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  cut_un 
#1 ·
Ok, Some people can not stand them and some love them. You guys give me your thoughts. I will tell you I hunt out of both. I have stationary blinds on the james as well as a few creeks neaar west point. I also have a 17 foot deep V boat blind for the Rapp. and other places for divers. A lot of guys with stationary blinds do not like the floaters for one reason or the other. So what do you think?

#2 ·
I too have both but if I had to pick one it would be a floater . I have five floaters running from 5 ' to 26 ' .

:yes: LD :yes:

#3 ·
i have both also. But i have had a guy in a floater piss me off. I spent over $500 on material to build a blind and probally 2 whole weekends to get everything together and brushed. and this fool just put his boat in the water and found a spot less than 300 yards from my blind. The guy was very unfriendly and got very crappy with me. everytime we had birds working he would call or you could hear him talking. So i guess what i am trying to stay is that a floating blind is a great tool to have in your duck hunting arsonal, but be respectful to other local hunters, that already have blinds up. Scout the day before and make sure there are no other blinds in the area.

#4 ·
Thanks for the comments. That is what I thought I would hear. I have some people on the james that love to get as close to me as they can and it too drives me nuts. With spots to hunt getting harder to get each year, I can understand beaing moble is a good thing. But when some one has put money and time into a blind it is not cool when people just get right up on you. I will be on the Rapp scouting out some new floater spots on sunday. I am sure I will find my share of great spots with blinds already there but that is how it goes.

#5 ·
I am so glad that I don't have to hunt rivers , the birds fly the shoreline and everyone wants to hunt just as close to the boat ramps as they can get .
The only thing that I can tell you is to mark your 500 yard water and shoreline with a sign big enough that you can read from the blind .

:hammering: LD :hammering:

#6 ·
I for one hunt entirely out of a floater as I do not have access to any shoreline, spots to erect a blind. I have had a few from time to time . Not opposed to it, just no spots...... having said that , I've been on both sides. I will hunt public water as it's my right :thumbsup: I WILL honor the 500 yd. mark, "even if you are not sitting in your blind that morning".. cause it's the law. BUT, on the other hand, just cause a guy has a stationary blind does not mean HE owns the entire river either :thumbsdown:

#7 ·
Cut I read
I for one hunt entirely out of a floater
I WILL honor the 500 yd. mark
so I know that you have spots that you could put a Water blind on . If one of those spots is a long way from the boat ramp , that is where you should put one . Then find a spot close to the blind that you can park on the side of the road and get to the water . Then put a pole down to tie your boat , that way firday night take the boat to the spot and leave it , come saturday morning you will be the earlly bird . Oh don't forget the white flag for the Jeep . The best thing to do is to find the landowner that owns the land between the road and water and ask for permission to walk across Only , no need to say anything about waterfowling .

:mrgreen: LD :mrgreen:

#8 ·
Ok so here is where I get confused. Can I put up a stationary blind anywhere in public waters, As long as its legal and no other blinds within 500 yards? How do I know if that land is already licensed by someone else or not. Does there have to be a sign.
When do I need to licnese by stationary or floater by.

J

#9 ·
Skiff, best you get your hands on a copy of the game laws (magatory game birds)as it is a bit confusing and I'd hate to tell ya wrong. Better you read it and draw your own conclusions....and good luck :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.