CROW DEKES ??

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

CROW DEKES ??

Postby chase83 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:28 am

OK FOR THOSE WHO USE THIS TECHNIQUE,

WHERE DO U SET UP THE DEKES IN YOUR SPREAD?

HOW MANY DO U USE?

ANY OTHER HELPFUL TIPS ARE WELCOMED!?

THANKS
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:30 pm

I have heard of this in the past and tried it with a group of geese that was in a corn field last winter. The first day we set out the deks and put about 6 crows off to the left behind the spread up wind and the geese still came. Did the same thing the 2nd day without the crows and the geese came as well. Not sure if it is worth spending the money on them. We did use a crow call and it flared them the minute we started on it. We did it twice and and they flared both times and they were committed geese so I don't suggest it. It's up to you. My only advice is dont put the crows down wind from you. Geese dont like fling over anything but other geese. Good luck. Let use know what happens if decided to do it. :thumbsup:
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby chase83 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:05 pm

THANKS FOR THE INPUT BUT I AM MORE INTERESTED IN THE EFFECTIVENESS WITH DUCKS!

DOES IT MATTER FOR DUCKS, AND WHERE TO LOCATE THE CROW DEKES AND ABOUT HOW MANY TO BE MOST EFFECTIVE! THANKS
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:13 pm

:oops2: Sorry, never tried it with ducks. To be honest, I have never seen crows feed with ducks in a field. You might be "school of trial and error" on that one.
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:30 pm

We have done it, but like patrick said, we killed geese with them and killed geese without crow dekes so i dont know :huh: :huh:

and ducks, I dont feild hunt ducks.
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:23 am

I have heard of it for ducks, but never tried it.

Hopefully someone with more experience will post up their experience how it works.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby chase83 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:21 am

well maybe we will have to try it I know Ive read of people doing it and reporting success But curious more on the details!
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:18 am

Now take this for what it's worth...because it was spring time. Had ducks fall right into the crow decoys.
Now....if I was targeting ducks in the fall and using crow decoys....i would set them up the same way as I would as if I was hunting geese.
Up wind of my decoys and off to the side somewhat....and scattered.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Long Grove labs » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:27 pm

I usually run a few off to the side of my field set up, but where I found they really work is on the blind boat. Ducks/Geese see them sittin above the deekes and bomb right in.
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"...Holy crap...what a ride!"
Long Grove labs
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:33 am

Long Grove labs wrote:I usually run a few off to the side of my field set up, but where I found they really work is on the blind boat. Ducks/Geese see them sittin above the deekes and bomb right in.

I am always looking for knew way to hunt. Good post. Never heard of decoying ducks like this. How High do you but them? On the boat blind frame or in the trees above the blind? Please more details. This caught my attention. :thumbsup:
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby Cavy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:43 pm

Brad there on sale at sportsmans fer i think 10$ a peice.
Cavy
hunter

Postby Long Grove labs » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:53 am

I have a hard sided Odessa blind. I have drilled holes in to the frame work to attach them. As you know, crows are one of the weariest birds around. Ducks, & Geese see them and are more relaxed, plus I get to shoot some of them lil SOBs in the process. I have also put them on Muskrat huts around the holes I hunt.
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"...Holy crap...what a ride!"
Long Grove labs
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:38 pm

Sweet, I am deff going to give that a try.
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:03 pm

i started doing it last year. we combo hunted a field all fall for geese and ducks and did amazing for the first few weeks. but as the season went on the ducks wouldnt land in the decoys and would just keep making passes for a half hour then move on. One night after work i went and glassed the field and it was full of mallards and about 40 geese and the only difference i seen was there was 3 crows sitting about 30 yards off to the side of all of them. i picked up 2 crow decoys and set up my spread the next morning just how it looked the night before and we limited out. few days later i left the crows at home by accident and we only killed one goose and 2 ducks. idk but it seems to work late in the season. id try to not show the crow decoys till heavy pressure makes the ducks warry so they dont get wise that the crows are fake to.
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby chase83 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:42 am

thanks guys will have to give it a shot!
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:44 am

:thumbsup:
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby chase83 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:15 pm

well picked up a pair will have to give it a go! will try it when birds are not working right in and flaring off ... I will see if they truely work... maybe get a few crow shots out of it ...
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby duckcommanderfinstr » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:14 am

Chase, fwiw, this past fall I was scouting ducks here in south ON and saw many flocks of ducks (approx 500 total) were landing in a millet field directly amongst about 250 crows. I've never seen this before so I called the guys over to have a look.They were shocked. We never hunted that field but it was very interesting to watch. We witnessed a scuffle between a crow and mallard for a few seconds but both returned to feeding with aparrently no hard feelings. With all the available millet & grain fields in the area its bewildering for sure. I bought some crow decoys for next season. :wink:
I hunt.....because the voices in my head tell me to.
duckcommanderfinstr
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:59 am

Good info here. It makes sense to me. I might have to whittle out a few for next season.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:00 pm

Kind of reiterating what everyone else has said, but I've done it as well. We just put them behind the spread (our blinds) by about 20 or 30 yards in their own little group. I think it may add realism while also relaxes the birds. You may notice how sometimes a field full of geese doesn't just have waterfowl in it. Doves, crows, and other smaller passerines will be seen flying around in there. Where there's grain, everything will find it!
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Re: CROW DEKES ??

Postby Prowler » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:16 pm

I use it all the time. I use 3 crow deeks on the outer edge of the spread, similiar to a sentry. Keep them no more then two feet apart. I am convinced it builds confidence.
"Sherrif"
Prowler
hunter

Re: CROW DEKES ??

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:51 pm

This is pretty interesting. I always figured that crows flying over you in the feild is a good thing because they are so wary and it means your well concealed but I never thought to take it a step farther and use decoys to help bring in waterfowl. Just goes to showt that theres more to a realistic spread than the most realistic duck and goose decoy on the market.
Bill Herian
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting