shot sporting clays today

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

shot sporting clays today

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:40 pm

I broke out the SBE for todays round, shot a 39 which is not bad at all for our course. BUT WOW I now remember why I shoot clays with my 11-87. Those 1-1/8 AA's sure felt different in the SBE than in the 11-87 :yes:

It is funny that I can go through a box of 3.5" magnums on opening day and not feel a thing but 50 rounds of target loads made me notice I was not shooting the gas gun.

Have a good one...
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mag.DuckDuster » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:29 am

Must be nice. I'm dying to go dust some sporting clays. About the recoil, I installed a limbsaver speed mount pad on my SBE and has made a world of difference.
mag.DuckDuster
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:58 am

Mine all have the limbsaver, my 26" had a mercury recoil reducer in the stock and it works great but the 24" does not hade the recoil reducer and I can tell the difference now.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:50 am

It is amazing how the mind works. With a flock of birds hanging over the dekes one rarely feels any recoil, but a round of clays will have that same person rubbing their shoulder...similar to a big bore rifle when shooting at a deer versus a piece of paper. It might also have something to do with 2-3 layers underneath a heavy waterfowler's coat versus shirt sleeves under a clays vest.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby chase83 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:43 pm

NO ADRENALINE RUSH WHEN SHOOTING CLAYS! OR TARGET PRACTIVE! OR PATTERNING!!!
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:45 am

You must have shooting those 3 dram 1 1/8oz loads.............

I only shot those at the HC 26 yards or more on windy or cold days.

1 1/8 at 1145fps is a better load for all day shooting. 8's for
the 16 and 7 1/2's from the 25 on back or for SClays.

1 oz at 1185 is a great load , if your gun will pattern it.

Since I reload, I practice with 7/8oz 7.5's at 1135 fps.
Great load for mom and kids, too.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:42 pm

Sagebrush wrote:You must have shooting those 3 dram 1 1/8oz loads....

:thumbsup:

I not talking trap here where it is just the same thing over and over again. This is a course where they change the setup of the 12 to 15 stations every week or so.

Some of the birds at this course are FAST and crossing at 45 yds with only a small opening in the woods to pick them up, lead and shoot. A lot of guys on this course shoot the 1300 fps sporting clays AA loads just because of the distance. I have shot it with my 20ga 1oz and done ok (usually around 35 out of 50 but usually just chip the fast and far ones. If I drop to the the 7/8 oz I end up around 32 but with the 12ga lately I have beed around 43 of 50.

can't wait to see what is in store for us next week :yes:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby REDGUN » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:52 pm

You shoot at a club that has a 15 station FIFTY BIRD course? :huh: You do more walking than you do shooting, just like real hunting! :yes:
REDGUN
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:38 pm

REDGUN wrote:You shoot at a club that has a 15 station FIFTY BIRD course? :huh: You do more walking than you do shooting, just like real hunting! :yes:

:thumbsup:

lots of fun :yes:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:40 pm

The one in reno is a 100 bird Clay's and you have to walk up and around two hills, unless you rent a golf chart.

Don't expect to do it under two hours.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:59 am

It is amazing how the mind works. With a flock of birds hanging over the dekes one rarely feels any recoil, but a round of clays will have that same person rubbing their shoulder...similar to a big bore rifle when shooting at a deer versus a piece of paper. It might also have something to do with 2-3 layers underneath a heavy waterfowler's coat versus shirt sleeves under a clays vest.

One time I was blowing my peep whistle at some teal. They came in so fast that I never dropped the whistle out of my mouth, I just shouldered and shot. I'm a lefty and that day I was shooting a right handed gun, so the bolt game back and knocked the whistle into my mouth.

No blood or permanent damage, just scared the crap out of me. But i did kill a couple of birds. Needless to say my new shotgun is a lefty SBEII. It just amazes me how pain doesn't matter in the field.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby eildydar » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:17 pm

did the exact same thing last weekend when some mallards came in haha...lefty's always get screwed haha
eildydar
hunter

Return to Target Shooting