Any primitive guys out there?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Any primitive guys out there?

Postby duck nut » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:25 pm

i am a primitive bow hunter and I just got drawn to hunt moose this fall. I am going to use one of my primitive bow and was wondering if any one has any experiance with moose and can give me an idea of weight I should be using. I am thinking #55 should be decent if I limit myself to 20 or 22 yards.
duck nut
hunter

Postby birddog crazy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:14 pm

I have never shot a moose, some cow elk, lots of deer and other critters. I use both a compound and also a recurve. 55 pounds should be enough at your decided distance, but what kind of broadheads are you going to use? I reconmend using 2 bladed type for the penatration factor. I my self use in both my 60 pound recurve and also my 70 pound compound, magnus 100 gr. 2 blade stingers. they are great flyers no matter the type of bow, lifetime warranty, if you mess it up, send it in for free new ones. very accurate. they come in 85gr, 100 gr, 125 gr. I use the 100gr stinger buzzcut, they will do the job to anything, plus they were designed for big game from pigs, deer, all the way to the moose and big bears, massive tissue damage, deep penatration, lots of blood loss in a short time.
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duck nut » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:40 pm

FOr the last several years I have used 125 grain Magnus Journeyman 2 blade broadheads. I have ordered some 145 grain 2 blade grizzleys for the moose. They are a long, narrow broadhead which is what I want for penetrating the thick hair and hide of the moose.

I really like the Magnus but I want something heavier than 125 grains and I am less concerned with the width of the blade than I am the penetration I get.

I have shot several deer and several bears with 2 blade broadheads and the farthest I have ever had anything run is 75 yards.
duck nut
hunter

Postby birddog crazy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:40 pm

the 125gr will do the job, i got turned on to the magnus stinger buzzcuts by a magnus tech, they tested them on moose in alaska for awhile befor releasing to the public, he said they all at magnus shoot for the most part the buzzcut, from what he said
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Foxxtrot » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:26 pm

Foxxtrot
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:06 am

Sorry I did not find this before. Have you researched and determined you Kinetic Energy of your bow. How heavy is your entire arrow and how many FPS do you have? A heavy arrow and a Snappy bow will kill just about anything. I shoot primitive also.
http://nativeskills.madduckoutdoors.com/archeryrobs_cave.htm
I got my bows on there and info on other bows and lots on arrow making.

You need to build a Pebnobscot bow to be traditionally primitive while hunting moose. :wink:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Archery