Getting ducks to use dry fields

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Getting ducks to use dry fields

Postby sly1uc » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:38 am

I hunt a public conservation area in southeast missouri. There are alot of flooded blinds to hunt from but more hunters than blinds of course, so theres alot of days I have to go home instead of hunting :sad: . There are also about ten goose pits here that no one hunts because they are in dry fields. Very seldom do you see ducks using dry fields around here and if you do its after the seasons out. With all the water around and the obvious lack of dry feeding ducks, do you guys think its even worth trying to hunt them in the goose pits??? I have heard on here about the plastic ponds. Anyone know if this is legal in Missouri??? Sure would like your opinions!!! Thanks in advance!!! :smile:
"Honor God, love your woman and defend your country"
sly1uc
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:37 am

I'd hunt them if there's new birds in the area. The more mojos and decoys you're able to put out the better. Those ducks will need convincing to come to your spread and not to flooded corn! I'd still give it a try because I don't need hundreds of birds working me to have a good time. Getting a crack at one is fun enough.
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby Admin2 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:01 pm

You would need to check state laws and if on a refuge their possible restrictions if any.

If you try it af ew times and don't get any, that is hunting for you, at least you tried. If you do not try, you know the result for sure. Maybe pick a better days to try it, like a good wind vs dead calm.

Good luck

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby chrispbrown27 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:56 pm

A buddy of mine and I tried it once and all we pulled was a lone snow goose. It looked pretty good to me from afar, just like water in the field. I would think that a calm day would be better for the fact that you're going to be fighting the plastic on a windy day. A cloudy day is a must! Any sun and it'll look like a mirror. I would also assume that new birds is a must. Local birds are gonna know somethings up if a new flooded field pops up over night. On the other hand the same buddy I hunted with uses nothing but snow decoys in the same dry field and does pretty decent on ducks. The white really pulls ducks. If you're close to the flooded areas where the ducks are theres a good chance you can pull a few. If ya don't have any snow decoys go buy a roll of tyvek and cut some windsocks lots of work but worth it. Or go with some white trash bags, on an overcast day they work fine. Hope this helps.
By the way, the field we hunted is in pinckneyville, illinois. So we were just north of ya I bet.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby sly1uc » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:58 am

Thanks guys :thumbsup: . I know its probably better than going home and not hunting at all. I was just wondering if it would be worth buying the full body mallards to go along with my full body geese :huh: . I think its worth a try. Chris I hunt Duck Creek conservation area if you know where it is. So its defenatly not that far. Hows the honker huntin over there the last couple of seasons been? It sure has been alot of work to get a limit down here! :tongue:
sly1uc
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:58 pm

Well, to tell ya the truth my hunting seasons have been bad the past couple of years. I was working in texas for two seasons and then last season I was living up in Belleville and also in Indianapolis for work a lot of the season. The buddy I hunt with in Pinckneyville said his season was pretty bad last year, but if he doesn't kill out everyday he thinks it's a bad year. There are a ton of geese around Belleville that's for sure, but I need to get access to some private land and that's easier said than done.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:33 pm

Chris, your signature is awesome. Question, do geese/ ducks pass the field from feed to roost? If they do, you have a good bet in killing some birds. It cant be a quick set up though. Make every dek count. Here is a trick to hunting the tarp without shine. Dust it with flat black paint. Don't paint hard, just dust it. Black sand bags will help with the wind. See if you can find the noodle bags. Much easier to carry. Put 5-10 pound'ers all around it. If you do it right, it will look like rippling water. About the law, I cant find anything that says you can't hunt over a plastic pond, there is a lot of don'ts for baiting but nothing about using a plastic pond as bait being illegal. Try calling MDC and see if you talk to an officer. Heres the link. :thumbsup: Let us know what you find out. Good luck bro.

http://mdc.mo.gov/about/srvcentr.htm
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby sly1uc » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:04 am

No they dont have to fly by to get to the food/roost. The fields are right next to the flooded corn but on the far side of the main pool )roost). But I do see alot of ducks in the air over these fields. And as far as the plastic, are we talking 50 x 50 or larger?
sly1uc
hunter

Postby patrick.carrington » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:01 pm

Not really a 50X50. That pretty big. I found that 2 smaller ponds with alot of deks in one and a few in the other works really well. They bomb straight for the lest crowded pool. To be honest, you can make them any size you what but the bigger the tarp, the harder it is to control in the wind. The noodle sand bags work awesome. As the tarp waves in the wind it makes ripples, dont point the bag into the wind but lay them crosswind so that it moves with the ripples. You'll be amazed at what it looks like from 50 ft away. Pull the tarp as tight as you can get it to cut down on movement and noise. I try to find some pics and post um.
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

corn fields

Postby dkkiller83 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:10 am

i live in tenn im gonna plant about 6 acres of corn in a creek bottom with a private lake next door. how long would it take to get birds to start using it.
dkkiller83
Newb

Return to Field Duck Hunting