guntersville divers?

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

guntersville divers?

Postby hogjaw » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:54 pm

anyone know how diver duck hunting is on guntersville? im new to duck hunting and was wonderin if it would be worth my time and money to try to get into diver duckin in that area or would it be better if i just kept chasin the gadwalls? info? where to hunt? (no secrets i dont want those so dont clam up on me) lol. how to hunt and best dekes to put out? info? thanx!
hogjaw
hunter

Postby BamaFowler13 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:29 pm

I've hunted Guntervilles a few times but never have any luck. Everyone i talk to that have shot divers say they use coot decoys, "lots of coot decoys". If you do plan on hunting divers i would suggest hunting out of a boat in the middle of the lake as opposed to off the bank.
BamaFowler13
hunter

Postby David » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:54 pm

Looks like it would be a short hunt. One bluebill and no Cans is what it looks like our season is going to allow.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby tripleCBoykins » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:28 am

Save some of those ringers for us. We have to have something other tham woodies!
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:24 pm

jd_odell* wrote:Actually, the diver hunting on Lake Guntersville is pretty solid. There are specific areas that consistently hold large numbers of divers every year. Ringers, bluebills, red heads, and cans are common in these specific areas. I'm disappointed about the cans this year, but there will be other opportunities!

Cheers!

There we go...internet scouters, here's your bait. :help:
:hammer:

Hogjaw,

Folks might be glad to help you out with where divers might really be so long as you don't do it on the open forums. :biggrin: Just ask around....since you're in Boaz, you can just talke to other hunters. I hear one kid from Boaz guides for canvasbacks....he's your guy....maybe he can guide for coots now?
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby tripleCBoykins » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:24 pm

Cyberscouting or not, this is the best thread we have had on here for a while. All the moderators have chimed in, so lets keep it going :biggrin: . I for one am glad to see the activity.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby hogjaw » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:26 pm

well i hate to put a kill shot on this thread but i have decided to just stick with the puddlers for another year. I just cant afford to buy several dozen new dekes and all that jazz, plus i cant talk my huntin buddies into gettin into diver huntin anyway. Oh well maybe in a couple years when the bb's and cans rebound from thier low nimbers and we kill all the woddies ill get into it!! thanks for the input though ill remember it.
Thas's better than gettin poked in the eye with a sharp object!!!
hogjaw
hunter

Postby David » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:05 am

Note: if hunting a layout, be ready to stand up and flare off boaters planning on running through the rafted up birds, a.k.a. you and your decoys. A strong flashlight/Q-beam would be good if you set up in the dark/early dawn.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby Quackster » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:23 pm

Are you serious, one bluebill? What about the redheads?
My entire season is based on those two species, I cant see myself spending the gas money for a three bird limit. Looks like ill be working the rabbit hounds this year. On another subject, ive been seing solid numbers in the dove field, cant wait till this week end.
Quackster
hunter

Postby PhilsBud » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:34 pm

Guntersville is hard to hunt now. Too many people have run in there and given the ducks an education. Reminds me of every other hot spot out there where people start killing ducks and then it's all over the internet. Next thing you know you get idiots who shoot at any and everything that flys within 1,000 yards of a poorly designed spread; surrounding an expensive, but poorly camoflouged boat that the owner just bought 2 weeks before season opened, and is still trying to figure out all the workings.

But, with the season closed on Cans, and 1 BB a day, there'll be a lot less people I suspect. Except for the die hards.
Cut 'em
PhilsBud
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:57 am

PhilsBud wrote:
But, with the season closed on Cans, and 1 BB a day, there'll be a lot less people I suspect. Except for the die hards.

Good luck with that thought :no: I was raise over there and have been hunting that lake since the late 80's-early 90's. Used to be you thought it was crowded when 8 boats were at Comer Bridge. It has gotten rediculous over the last 8-10 years. Too many glamour boys running the river now that are more concerned with chasing ducks with a boat than hunting them. Alot gets blamed on out-of-state hunters but I think everyone knows thats not the problem....it's just an easy out.

I don't see the lose of Cans or BB will reduce numbers of hunters because most of the guys I hunt with will just shift back to goldeneyes, ringers and buffleheads (which is the bread and butter there anyway). The gadwall chasers will always be there.
Ringneck
hunter

Postby PhilsBud » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:20 pm

Ringneck wrote:
PhilsBud wrote:

Ringneck said:

Good luck with that thought :no: I was raise over there and have been hunting that lake since the late 80's-early 90's. Used to be you thought it was crowded when 8 boats were at Comer Bridge. It has gotten rediculous over the last 8-10 years. Too many glamour boys running the river now that are more concerned with chasing ducks with a boat than hunting them. Alot gets blamed on out-of-state hunters but I think everyone knows thats not the problem....it's just an easy out.

Philsbud:

Well, I'm sure you're right. I have two friends of mine that live over there and that's who I've been hunting with for the past 4 years (they're both carvers), and in that short time it HAS gotten ridiculous even for them as well. I am one of those "out-of-state" guys, but I only hunt with the local boys; it's the way I do it out of courtesy and respect. I don't hunt over there unless I am with them, and I damn sure don't give out secrets to guys back home about what I know there. That's all that place needs is more people chasing ducks out.

Ringneck said:

I don't see the lose of Cans or BB will reduce numbers of hunters because most of the guys I hunt with will just shift back to goldeneyes, ringers and buffleheads (which is the bread and butter there anyway). The gadwall chasers will always be there.

Philsbud:

Yeah maybe so, but I hear a some of my taxidermy friends talk about the Cans they get to mount, and they used to get more from Guntersville than any other place...used to. The number has dropped significantly over the past years, needless to say. However, as you said, there are the goldeneyes, ringers and buffleheads. And yes, I would just as soon hunt these as anything else. Good luck to you!
Cut 'em
PhilsBud
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting