My First Gun

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

My First Gun

Postby one ducky lady » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:20 pm

I'm excited to share with everyone that Monday I bought my first gun. The hubby and I spent 2 1/2 hours in the gun shop with an obnoxious old man to finally end up getting a Beretta Xtrema.

After going through the rack 40 times trying to see what fit me, the closest we came was the Xtrema with the stock shortened and a 26'' barrel.

I'm anxious to get out and shoot it :]

What guns do you ladies have that you love? Have any of you had problems finding guns to fit?
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:13 am

Congrats on the new gun! May you shoot many a bird with it. :thumbsup:

Oh man, have I EVER had problems finding a gun to fit.

When we were engaged my hubby bought me a youth 20g Mossberg 500. Then for our first Christmas together he bought me a 20g Beretta Silverhawk. It's a side-by-side and it seemed to fit pretty nicely. It's still easily my favorite gun. We sold the Mossberg to help pay a part of the Beretta.

Last summer I bought myself a 12g Supernova, because I really didn't have anything for waterfowling. I take the side-by-side rabbit hunting and upland. I couldn't hit anything with the Supernova last year. I pretty much mopped up cripples and that was about it. It turns out it was too front heavy for me to swing well and overall it just didn't fit well.

This spring and summer I had been visiting sporting good stores shouldering everything I could, trying to find something that was a better fit. I've found that I need a higher comb than comes standard. Last month we found a used Beretta AL390 Gold Mallard for a great price, and it fit decently. It's a little fancier than what we intended, but for the price and fit (and I've heard a lot of very good things about the AL390) it was a done deal.

I picked up a $20 pad to raise the comb last night and after shouldering the gun I can tell it will definately help. I could still use a touch more drop, but I should be able to manage for now. I might end up putting an adjustable butt-plate on it in the future.
Last edited by Outdoor Gal on Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby ripnrr's wife » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:48 pm

nice, congrats. :thumbsup:

I haven't hunted yet but I have a Remington 20ga and 12ga both pumps and 870 express magnums that I shoot, I love them, my Hubby just got and Extrema2 w/28in barrel for this year, I can't wait to see how nice it shoots to see if I want one or not. I really like my remingtons so far, they fit nice. I'm starting off with a pump, I have to figue out what gun I want next. I haven't really ran into any problems with any gun that didn't fit ok. I like the heavier guns they are easer to aim for me but i'm sure that will change on my first hunt haha
"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser."
ripnrr's wife
hunter

Postby one ducky lady » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:24 pm

Yeah the hubby tells me how spoiled I am because he has the Xtrema and loves it... and it was his 3rd or 4th gun.

We strayed away from Remmingtons because he can't stand them and they were way too heavy for me.

Beretta makes a youth model 12gauge but it doesn't shoot 3 1/2's and the hubby wanted me to at least have the option... The youths were really all that fit me :)

We looked at the Supernovas but the guy at the store said there wasn't much of a difference between the Novas and the Supernovas...

So between the two I ended up getting the Xtrema which is ALMOST too big for me even shortened.

After the bruise his uncles 20 gauge gave me it was get a gun or give up.
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:36 am

Rippnrr's wife - Nothing wrong with a Remington. They've been a work horse for a long time. And a pump isn't bad either, they're awfully reliable. It's like any other gun, you just have to take care of them. :thumbsup:

My husband isn't a Remington fan, but it's because he had an 870 and it just didn't fit him. He has a pretty long LOP and he couldn't hit anything with it. lol.

One ducky lady - Yeah, the only major difference was really the Comfortech stock. Speaking from experience, my shoulder never hurt from shooting heavy loads, but I would still get rocked when shooting goose loads or turkey loads from it. If I shot a lot I'd end up with a headache. And I did start to flinch when patterning turkey loads a bit. But that's a whole lot different than actually pulling the trigger on a bird. I think for most women, I'd say steer away from the Nova or Supernova, especially if an 870 is too heavy for you. My Supernova weighted close to eight pounds. And the balance point is at the front end of the receiver which with a 3 1/2in. chamber makes it awfully front heavy, at least for me. I'm 5'4", 125lb. and am in decent shape. I'm not the strongest person around, but I'm not weak either.

I'm digging my new Beretta too. lol. It seems that a lot of women find fit them better than other guns for some reason. Just an observation I've made after talking to quite a few online. :)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:01 pm

Congrats on your gun! It's a beautiful thing, making that purchase. I hear great things about the Extrema, too.

I shoot a Beretta Urika AL-391 - nice gun.

My shooting teacher told me shotguns are made for men who are 5-10 and about 175 pounds, so if that's not you, chances are it's not going to be a perfect fit.

I'm a HUGE advocate for getting your gun fitted. Mine fit pretty well because I'm 5-8 and have long arms, but I was having real consistency problems. I took it to an area gunmaker and he took one look at me and said, "High cheekbones, long neck." He had to drop the stock so I could get on it more comfortably. On my next outing, I had my first ever four-duck day.

It costs a lot (my fitting was $350), but I highly recommend it - saving money means nothing if you're not hitting birds. To find out who can alter your stock, just check with competition shotgun shooters at your local gun range and see who they trust.
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:44 am

Well, my little $20 pad for my comb really helped this weekend. I went to a BOW shotgun clinic and shot 5-stand and sporting clays for the first time and I did pretty decently. We didn't shoot full rounds or keep score but I definately hit more than I missed and I hit a few doubles too. Fun stuff for sure!

and +1 for custom fitting. It's definately an investment I'll be making in the future.
Last edited by Outdoor Gal on Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:51 am

Cool! Anything you can do without draining your grocery budget is always a good thing!

-Holly
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:50 pm

Yeah, well the hubby tends to think I picked the Beretta because it was the most expensive one we looked at :)

Either way, I shot it this weekend and was in love. Can't feel the recoil.... at all.

As weak as this is going to make me sound, I can't even load it or turn on/off the safety because the buttons are so stiff. He spent a good 15 minutes laughing and telling me to stop joking around... it was funny.
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:33 am

Just keep working on it. The buttons might loosen up a bit and you'll gain muscle as you shoot more often.

I find that practicing my gun mount a few times each night helps maintain those gun-lifting muscles. lol. Of course, make sure it's unloaded and safe first.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:13 am

Ducky Lady, I had the same issue with my Beretta! Except for pulling back the breach bolt, everything else requires way too much force for my taste. I might be particularly sensitive because I have arthritis in my hands (I'm the kind of person who almost always has the boyfriend open jars and bottles for me).

Sometimes I'm grateful for those stiff buttons though: When you've got the breach bolt pulled back and the foreend off for cleaning, I've brushed up against that button and been VERY grateful the bolt didn't go flying out, damaging who knows what on the way.

I think there's no two ways about it, though: Guns are made for men's hands.

-Holly
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby MrsJumpshooter » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:15 pm

I shoot a remington 870 express super mag.

I can hit clay peigons with it but i have yet to hit a duck :rofl:
I hunt it, Therfore I cook it too!
MrsJumpshooter
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum