What Is The Best Hunting Coat???

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

What Is The Best Hunting Coat???

Postby okiequacker » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:34 am

I haven't bought a new coat in 20 years it seems and am out of the loop somewhat. what is a good duck hunting coat out there that has good pockets for shells with shell loops, that is warm, dry and not too bulky.

I would like to pay no more that $200 if possible.

Any help????
Tom
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SteveInTN » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:59 am

If you want to buy another that will last you another twenty years, and is guaranteed to keep you warm and dry, check out:

Omni Tech or Widgeon 4 in 1 Parkas from Columbia

or

4 in 1 Parka from Drake Waterfowl

I have the former but would love to get the latter, just don't have a reason. Spend another $30-$50 and get one of those, there are none better.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:24 pm

I just ordered my Drake Mallard 4 in 1! I had already read about these nice coats and then when you mentioned it above, it reminded me!...I called the friendly people at Mack's Prairie Wings (Stuttgart) and they had just what I needed. They didn't have it in the Max4 so I got the "new breakup"...looks nice!...
Tom Cook
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby birdgunner04 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:22 am

Those are great coats (I have one) My only suggestion is if you do a lot of wading get the jacket instead of the parka. lt will keep the lower half of your coat out of the water.
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:49 am

I ordered the 4-in-1 wader coat. in the Max4 camo!...it looks great!...all the features a duck hunter could ever want. I had already ordered the wader coat....but thanks for the info just incase I had not already!...I hunt 75% or more of the time with waders on!..timber hunter!...:)
Tom Cook
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby birdgunner04 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:47 pm

My old one is a coat. worked fine. Caution in water around waist deep water will wick up the coat and will become soaked in no time. (personal experience)most mail order stores will exchange if you decide.
birdgunner04
hunter

Postby HonkShooter » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:24 am

Does anyone have a Cabela's versatec GORE-Tex 4 in 1 parka? If you do...is it a good coat? Any problems at all with it? Let me know. Thanks
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:19 pm

the 4-in-1 wader coat is the shorter version of the parka...model #DR-104 www.drakewaterfowl.com It goes inside my waders...so I don't have the coat getting wet problem....

Honkshooter...I've tried on a friend's Cabela's 4 in 1 parka and I'll tell ya....I like the Drake waterfowl coat alot better....more features and also dry and warm...for almost half the money.
Tom Cook
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby birdgunner04 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:52 pm

perfect! I'm going to check it out for myself. time for a new one.
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum