Diver decoys

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Diver decoys

Postby RingNeck » Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:13 am

I just bought a layout boat for hunting divers this fall. Does anyone have suggestions on what size decoys to use. I bought some of the lifesize though some people seem to be getting the magnum and super magnum. I thought the larger ones would spook the duck at close range. Please send any ideas. Thanks
RingNeck

Magnum or lifesize

Postby blacklab25 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:09 pm

The thing I have found out with ducks is the dumber they are, the worse they taste. Divers aren't known as the greatest table fare, but bacon will fix anything. I use magnums all the time and I haven't ever had a duck flare from them at all. Even puddle ducks. By the time they flare, they should be in range anyway. We constantly have diver's landing in the rig all the time when we aren't looking or before shooting time. Even when we are in the decoys, in the boat, chasing a cripple. So I would not worry about magnums spooking divers at all.
blacklab25

Postby quackerkiller » Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:08 pm

If your looking for a quality decoy that will last you a very long time then go with the Herters supreme burlap such as 2doz model 63 bufflehead and then go to the model 72 mag and pick up 3 to 4 doz bluebill and 3 to 4 doz of the canvasback. They will take the abuse and keep the birds in your rig!
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Anatidae » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:22 pm

Waterfowl do not have great depth perception, thus they don't perceive oversized decoys as unnatural. Get 1/2 mile from standard decoys and try to see them. It's hard! Super mags are the way to go. We have them try land in the spread all the time. Get foam or cork so you can shoot the ducks when you want to.
Anatidae
hunter

Postby 2rivers » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:12 pm

I personnally use about 200 standard divers mostly bluelips and about 4 dozen super mag divers. We also use canvasback V-boards which we make ourselves in a magnum to super mag size and these stand out like neon signs. trust me make some and you wont be dissapointed.
2rivers
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:06 am

As mentioned...size matters... especially in big water...
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jeepman:-) » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:03 pm

Have to agree with the Quack killer... herters burlaps are by far the best but the do have a steep price. I bought 4 doz and the wife got pissed when she saw the credit card bill.lol I told her that the other dekes wont work. She didn't understand, so I put it like this. If my wife saw a party going on and it was all black/asian/hispanic people she would feel out of place being the only white lady there....right.? same thing applys for the ducks!(feel free to use that one on your spouse)

Where do they have the burlaps now? Cabelas dosn't seem to sell them?
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of HIGH EXPLOSIVES!
Jeepman:-)
hunter

Postby pj » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:07 pm

I have a bunch of G&H diver decoys. Some mags and some standards. I like to mix things up so I have size and numbers.
For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:49 pm

The new GHG divers are AWSOME I don't diver hunt very much but from what I here they are amazing....

Heres the link..... Hope this helps

http://greenheadgear.com/duck_decoys.html

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby John » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:50 pm

I would have to agree with mallyard. the ghg decoys look great and for the price they are hard to beat. I looked at pretty much every brand that is out and that is what I bought. The only thing I don't like is that they don't have models with there heads turned or sleeping etc....
John
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting