Doves in the wheat state!

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Doves in the wheat state!

Postby Mallyard » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:05 pm

You guys planin to wack some doves this sept. before the ducks come in? We allways like to get out and get some target practice in, not to mention the great KaBobS those targets make.... How do you prefer to hunt doves? Over water hole, in field, or maybe a gravel bed?

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Dove Hunting in the Wheat State

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:56 pm

I shot clays a couple days ago and I think I'm shooting better than ever. I had a full choke in and only missed about 10 times out of 2 1/2 boxes. Some of them were about where some snow geese were this season so I may through the full choke in for some snow goose hunting. As for dove hunting, I like to hunt over a pond or in a field. I am getting antsy for duck and goose hunting though. My buddy just bought 4 Flambeau the Judge Decoys for $85 at Walmart. He also got a dozen duck decoys and 4 Canada floaters/shells. For Canada decoys we have 18 Flambeau floater/shells, 1 1/2 dozen G&H shells, and now the 4 Flambeau full bodies. Looking to add some GHG fb feeders and a dozen more G&H shells. We got all the ones that we have out, and put them out in his yard the other day. We have a pretty good spread and will have a better one once I get my decoys. I can't wait for dove and duck/goose season to start.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Keith S. » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:21 pm

Ahh man I can't wait to do some hunting :thumbsup: I'm going insane this summer. We usually hunt the river that has a bunch of bends in it. Set up some decoys every 100-150 yards and they don't think twice, but if we find a good ditch weed patch, that's just plain dirty! :yes:
Keith S.
hunter

Doves

Postby Fatweed » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:14 pm

Ive been huntin doves since i think first time was in about 1956 LOL... used to do it different in those days... So yup,,,im sure ill be sittin in the lawn chair by the pond...and try and get some... and probably will... last year with the cooler weather they werent around quite as much....and with the cooler weather this week im wonderin it could send a bunch of them south real early this year..?? dunno...im sure there will be some around anyway... In dry years could always get our limit sittin by the pond....and occaisionally get a few teal too...happened that way last year... *S*.. but if its wet..then youve got to find their favorite roostin spots.... and thats just like anything else...is scout... seems tho they like the same places year after year...so if ya know where they like..then thats where to be.... about hour or more before sundown with about 6 boxes of shells....and water to cool ur barrel down.....LOL... yup ,,,thats dove huntin.... hehehe
Fatweed
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:45 pm

All to true... Some guys use decoys for doves. Do any of you use dove decoys? We have 2 foam ones that we allways put near the water or up in a dead tree. I don't know if it makes a difference, it's just somthing else to carry out there... LOL..

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:50 pm

We use I think 6 foam decoys and then like 5 or 6 hard bodied dove decoys. I would really like a mojo dove too. We usually put our decoys up and dead trees or get a fishing pole and put some on powerline poles.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:09 pm

Hey any of you guys went huntin yet?? and uf you did how did you do?? I am going this weekend :yes: I can't wait!!!!
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:09 am

I went wnd. afternoon/evening. we got a group total of 23... we should of all had our limit... hut o well.......... hey, I g2g to school, bye.

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:40 am

Hey,
4 of us shot 38.
2 guys shot limits. I shot horribly, and out of 2 boxes of shells only got seven. One guy shot 1, but he was being picky cause he only brought a handful of shells. We are going back out in the morning. Good luck to all.

Matt
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:50 pm

wow im late posting this but... anyone do any good this dove season? I didnt see hardly any birds at all. my "honey hole" was bare and i only got 5 my 1st day of hunting, and that includes at some of our land where noone but us hunts. anyone else feel like numbers were way down?
:umm:
duckplucker
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:11 pm

what are you talking about opening weekend this year duckplucker one of our other cousin and me shoot all 45 3 man limit ... but i guess that was the only good day.... nothing close to the years 5 birds short of a 5 man limit with stu and yer little bro and you know how your little bro shoots so i think the missing 5 were his ...lol :toofunny:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting