Army Reserve vs. National Guard?

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Army Reserve vs. National Guard?

Postby CrackerJackShot » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:52 pm

Ok so Im looking into getting into one of these so they can help pay for college. I want to go to school for at least these next 2 years starting this spring semester. Which one would be better for going to school? What are the main differences to consider with either one? I would really appreciate any input I receive. Thanks.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby ugly ford » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:05 pm

if you want to go reserves go with the Marine Corp reserves.
if you can read this thank a teacher, if you can read this in english thank a veteran.

MIA POW YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTIN

there is nothing more deadly then a MARINE and his rifle!
ugly ford
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:21 pm

umm. ok. I do appreciate your input. But is there a reason behind that?
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:17 pm

Take your time and do your research :thumbsup:

Check all of the services and what they have to offer by talking to a recruiter after you visit thier websites. Make a list of questions that you want more info on, DONT sign anything until you are 100% comfortable with what you are hearing from them and the obligation you will incur.

1981 I talked to a Navy recruiter and I never looked back. I'm still on active duty. Take advantage of all the incentives they are offering.

The New GI Bill is pretty good.

Good Luck and feel free to ask here if you have any concerns.

Mike
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

National guard

Postby sheepdog » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:55 am

All depends on what you are trying to get out of it. There are a few major differances between the 2. I am in the CT National Guard so I am a little biased. I have however some good friends that I made in the Reserves. PM me with any questions you may have and I would be happy to help you out.
sheepdog
hunter

Re: Army Reserve vs. National Guard?

Postby devildog28 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:45 am

CrackerJackShot wrote:Ok so Im looking into getting into one of these so they can help pay for college. I want to go to school for at least these next 2 years starting this spring semester. Which one would be better for going to school? What are the main differences to consider with either one? I would really appreciate any input I receive. Thanks.

Going in the military is a life altering decision, not just an avenue to get money for college.

The most basic desire should be to serve your country. If you don't have that view to start with, your experience will be very tough, because you will hate your job. I've used the GI bill with great success, but I think the military deserves a little more respect than that.

I'm not trying to deter you from it, but you need to grasp the full picture. You might very well find yourself behind a rifle in Iraq. The enemy doesn't care that you only joined for the college money. Your fellow service-members also need you to be fully commited.

I was in the Marines so I can't speak about the army other than my experience working with them during deployments. Like the others I would speak to every recruiter and see which one interests you best. After that bring your questions back here or pm me for more info.
devildog28
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:33 am

Well I find myself at a time where all my money is exhausted but yet I just found what I want to do with my life and college is what is needed. I have a great respect for the armed forces, but I really don't have any other options. Am I going to try to get in and out without going to Iraq? Sure I am. But I do know that if I find myself over there I can get the job done. The big reason Im leaning towards Guard is they cannot be sent anywhere for the first 2 years if you choose a college first option. That way, I at least have that part done if I get sent.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:34 am

CrackerJackShot wrote:Well I find myself at a time where all my money is exhausted but yet I just found what I want to do with my life and college is what is needed. I have a great respect for the armed forces, but I really don't have any other options. Am I going to try to get in and out without going to Iraq? Sure I am. But I do know that if I find myself over there I can get the job done. The big reason Im leaning towards Guard is they cannot be sent anywhere for the first 2 years if you choose a college first option. That way, I at least have that part done if I get sent.

I wasn't trying to discourage you from the military, merely to give you the true picture that recruiters don't. I think it's great that you're not one of those liberal military haters! I had to deal with some "GI bill marines" in a war zone which is why I'm a little reserved.

Like I said before go talk to everyone and see which service fits you best. The Marines were the second best decision I made in life. I would probably be in prison now if not for them.
devildog28
hunter

Postby lunatic » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:20 am

If college is your goal then go the Officer's Commissioning Program (OCP). If you get selected you go to school for four years get your degree, then your obligated 8 years in the service with a minimum of 4 to 6 years active, heck your are obligated 8 years of service at any service, active reserves, guard.

The military is a way of life for the rest of your days, you need to make the commitment.

Talk to a recruiter about the OCP they should refer you to an officer.

Good luck
"Semper Fi"
lunatic
hunter

Postby rmh » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:35 am

Or he could go to a school with ROTC and try for that scholarship. As a Navy vet please pay attention to those that say to NOT join any service with the sole goal of college money. It's a life style, a way of thought, even a way of living your life afterwards. It's hard to remember you're there for college money in the middle of the ocean at 2 in the morning. Also, if you're interested in high tech stuff, the USAF or the Navy are probably your best choices. My opinion only, so no flaming. If you want to drive an aircraft you need a college degree for that, except for the Army (helos only) and they prefer a 2 year degree.
2013 Totals
1 2003 Ford Focus (harvested by a 6 point whitetail)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
rmh
hunter

Postby OLD MISSALOT » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:46 pm

I'ts been a long time since Iwas in. But I have been in bolth, one difference to cocider is rank. If you are in the guard and activated to something like iraq you might lose some rank. back in the day the federal services did'nt have to acept guard rank. Good luck...ALL give some and some have given all.
If you think like a duck you'll wind up in a pot!
OLD MISSALOT
hunter

Postby usmcoefvet » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:47 am

to amswer your first question "what is the difference between the reserves and guard?" the guard has more combat Jobs i.e. infrantry artillery combat engineers. The Reserves has the POG or REMF jobs. your best bet in my opinion is to go to the a 4 year school with a army ROTC Program. You can wither qualify for there scholarship or join the guard and get 100% tuition by being in the guard. you have 5 years to get your degree and are not deployable. when you graduate you don't have to do active duty find out if the school oyu are going to has a ROTC program and call and talk to the recruiter.
usmcoefvet
hunter

Postby grunt_doc » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:53 am

CrackerJackShot wrote: I really don't have any other options. Am I going to try to get in and out without going to Iraq? Sure I am.

There's your answer. Try to find another avenue to pay for school. look into scholarships/grants/loans. Don't take this the wrong way, but the fact that you are turning to the military as a last resort option....and trying to get out of getting deployed from the start, shows that you are not ready.

I'm not saying the everyone who joins WANTS to get deployed. It's not fun! Like the other guys have stated, it is a commitment to change your lifestyle. The way you think/act/perceive the world will be changed. That is something that should be part of the equation. Funding for school should just be an added bonus...not the point. The decision is yours, though. I'll be happy to give you answer any questions you have. I was Navy. Blue side and Green.

Just a thought: If you don't mind, don't PM your questions to us. Post them so you will be able to get a variety of answers, opinions, and information.

Doc
Texting is just a polite way to communicate whilst taking a dump.
grunt_doc
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:46 pm

Well the other aspect of it is that there are some other reason's why I want to join. I'm a little excited about some of the thing's that I will get to do and what will be different about me when I come out the other end. I think it's a little ignorant to say that just because I don't want to be deployed means that Im not ready. If that's the case then the majority of the people going in are not ready, and they ones that are are moron's.
It sounds like a good experience that will only make me a better person in the end, and much more marketable for a job.
Oh yeah and loans and what not are out of the question for me. My credit makes sure that nobody will loan me 5 bucks. Much less several thousand.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby grunt_doc » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:31 pm

grunt_doc wrote:I'm not saying the everyone who joins WANTS to get deployed.

Read the post. If you were trying to get out of doing anything else, I would still make the same argument. I may be wrong, but it seems like you want to enlist on YOUR terms, instead of accepting the terms of the military, which at the moment include the high probablility of deployment to a combat zone.

Here's the bottom line. No one is going to do this for you. No one is going to make the decision but you. If you think you are ready...go for it.
grunt_doc
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:32 pm

Jeeze, you post something on here looking for the pro's and con's of two specific part's of the military and you get something completely different.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby grunt_doc » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:54 pm

OK, let's start over...

You mentioned that you figured out what you want as a career. What is it? One service or component might be better suited for that particular career field.
grunt_doc
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:03 pm

[quote="grunt_doc

I'm not saying the everyone who joins WANTS to get deployed. It's not fun!
Doc[/quote]

I thought it was! Maybe that's why I have to "talk" to someone once a month. :biggrin:
devildog28
hunter

Postby grunt_doc » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:05 am

You too?!?!?!? I was doing pretty good for a while. Had it down to every other month. every 2 weeks now..... Still can't figure out why.

so anyway...crackerjack, are you going to tell us what you want to be when you grow up?
grunt_doc
hunter

Postby 13space82 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:28 pm

if i'm not mistaken the reserves is a federal entity while the guard is state. the governor can call up the guard where as the president calls up the reserves? am i right on this?

i'm in the KY National Guard (19k turned 21b) I joined to pay for school (still haven't completed and its been 7 Years). Mostly my fault. I know lots of people that joined just for school, and they served in Iraq with me w/o a hitch. It comes down to your charactar when that happens. It took me almost 5 Years to deploy too so you can get in and out without getting deployed, especially with the so-called reduction in troops coming soon. Go for it buddy.
TNAL45 wrote: Well done sir. I vote this best bitch slap in DHC history.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=174844

go get the bird wrote:Every time you post, Jesus lets a pitbull live.
13space82
hunter

Postby k9horseluvr » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:56 am

It looks like there has been a lot of good info on this subject. However, the basic facts of what Crackerjack asked have not been answered. I'm AD Navy and have been for almost 15 years (4 recruiting) but have little experience in what the Guard and Army Reserve have to offer. I can tell you that most Guardsmen I encountered in Nebraska had been or were on their way to a deployment. My brother-in-law and many friends included. Reserves is Federal and Guards are State. For this fact, your full tuition is not guaranteed in the Guards where as any tuition benefits in the Reserves are. The best thing I will tell you was said earlier......check out the websites, once you have done some research, write down questions or concerns you have...take those to a recruiter. Either way, BE PREPARED to make a deployment. Good Luck with your decision.
K9
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
"I served in the United States Navy"
-JFK
k9horseluvr
Forum Moderator

Guard

Postby thomasl » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:29 pm

I started out with a 3 year commitment in the Army Guard, I am now going on year 11, all those that have replied to your blog are correct about doing your research. Not just the active duty will force you to make life altering changes, the guard these days deploys as much if not more than the active component. I myself have vacationed in 2 other countries since I joined and have seen kids leave for combat weeks after returning from there MOSQ school. If I could start over I would do ROTC or OCS, in the Air Force yes you are no deployable until 1. you complete ROTC or OCS and 2. until you finish (OBS) Officer Basic Course. I am a full time AGR Active Guard and Reserve with a unit in Portland if you have any question about the type of jobs available let me know and I can get you a number
thomasl
Newb

Hmmm?

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:55 pm

I'd like to see you come back when you "want" to join the Military, not when you "need" to.

That said, many people do the same thing you're doing and they turn out to be great Soldiers!

You asked what the difference between the two are, I'm assuming you were asking of incentives.

Research, research, research. Your recruiter should be able to tell you everythnng you need to know. Go to both USAR and Guard recruiters and compare.

Good luck.
"I see dead birds flying"
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Postby No Crying Tool Bag » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:42 pm

Hey, the reason people are saying your not ready is because you need to look at the big picture. You say your joining just for the school money...... Remember this, you WILL go overseas, just a matter of time, and someone is gonna place there life in your hands and your gonna place your life in someones hand. Your a team out there and have to trust everyone with your life! You better be able to handle it! Good luck with it!
Read the regs
Know the laws
Dont sky bust
Dont hunt in a blind thats not yours
Dont hold me up at the ramp.
Happy Hunting
No Crying Tool Bag
hunter

National Guard Recruiter

Postby FISH777 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:44 am

I spent 8 years in the Marines. Got out, used my GI Bill and got my degree. I am now a National Guard Recruiter.
The National Guard (Education Benefits wise) is far superior than the Reserves. While the Reserves is strictly Federal, the National Guard is both State and Federally ran. If there is a State emergency, we are called up. But we regularly deploy just as the Reserves. There are programs such as College First Option where you can join and the first 2 years after AIT are spent non-deployable (as long as you register and go to college).
The big thing to remember is know what your state offers as far as jobs go in the Guard. I am in the Utah Guard and we are mostly a "Support State". What that means is we have no Infantry. We do have Artillery, SF, Combat Engineers, etc...but the key is to Pick a job that does not involve direct combat. Don't get me wrong, there is no guarantee that if you become a Truck Driver that your convoy won't get hit. Just be smart about your pick and pick something that would be useful to you in the civilian world if possible.
The other thing that sets us apart from the Reserves is that we have State Tuition Waivers, State Tuition Assistance, Federal Tuition assistance only available to Guard Members. This pays for your college. Every State has them...it is all about signing up for them in a timely matter. If a Guardsman plays his/her cards right, their GI Bill money and their Kicker Money should go in their pocket and help with living expenses.
Anyway, thats a nutshell-back to work :hammer:
You can email me with questions or contact your local Guard Recruiter. darren.m.mitchell@us.army.mil
Fish ><>
FISH777
Newb

Next

Return to Military Forum