Dove Decoys

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Dove Decoys

Postby slothman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:09 pm

Should I even bother to get some clip on dove decoys if I don't have a spinning wing decoy? I can get them for $2.00 a piece but don't know if it will really be worth it. I don't really know how to dove hunt. I just walk out to the public spot and wait for one to fly by. It seems like it is quite a bit slower than I have read about other people's hunts.

The doves usually come in and land too far away for me to shoot at. Would some decoys on the ground in front of me help?

I am really clueless about this and would be grateful to any help.

Ryan
The glass is not half empty or half full, it's just twice as big as it needs to be.

If you miss a lot of birds, does that make you a conservationist?
slothman
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:25 pm

I think the motion of the mojo really gets their atention and brings them in. A dozen of the clip ons might help if you can get them up off of the ground so that their silouette is visable for a ways. Try going out befor season and pay attention to the flight patterns. See if you can tell where they are flying to and from and get close to one of the roosting areas.

I can tell you that they do decoy to the mojos and they do work. Maybe any white flutter you can make to get their attention may help. I have told the story a couple of time here on the board. But, a buddy of mine had a faded old cammo hat. As birds were quartering twords us he took his hat and flapped around a bit. This got the birds attention and got them to come in.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:50 am

I've used dove dekes for over 10 years and only had a Mojo for the last 4. The standard clip on dekes do work by themselves. I put a few out in the field (on the ground) about 15 yards in front of my shooting position and a couple on limbs behind me if there is a wooded edge.

Doves typically don't sit on top of short perches like a corn stalk or sunflower head so that can tend to look unnatural although it does get them up off the ground so they are more visible...even though the birds can and will see the dekes in the field looking like they are feeding.

If there is a power line running through the field you have the perfect set up. This is frowned upon by many but if done properly, it is safe and downright effective. Tie 60' or so of 8# fishing line around the deke's neck and the other end to a 1/2 oz fishing weight. Carefully lay out the line out on the ground with the weight in your hand and throw the weight over the ground wire (the lowest, single line on a 3 line set). Then pull the deke up so he is hanging just below the line & tie the tag end off to a piece of stubble or a stake in the ground. We put 6-8 like this in a "set" and kill hell out of 'em.

Good luck
apexhunter
hunter

Postby slothman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:01 pm

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... =cat603749

What you you think about using something like this to make them more visible on the ground? Also, how few do you think I could get away with using and still get the effectiveness out of them?
The glass is not half empty or half full, it's just twice as big as it needs to be.

slothman
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:02 pm

That's not a bad idea...although I wouldn't buy them but make 'em from a clothes hanger. If I were to put some on the ground to emulate them feeding I'd probably go w/ 6 or 8 in a group. Just don't set them out right in front of you. I would put them 20 or so yards out as to draw attention away from you and on the birds.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby slothman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:09 pm

Thanks for the input. :smile:

slothman
hunter

Return to Upland Game