Story of the weekend...

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Story of the weekend...

Postby one ducky lady » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:38 pm

The hubby and I drove down to his uncles (who has about 20 acres) and they were shooting some tweedy birds. His neighbor cut down about 5 acres of tall grass and the birds were everywhere...

I was just relaxing in the car with the door open (knowing darn well I wouldn't hit a single one of those tiny birds) when his uncle threw one inside of my car, on my lap.

I thought it was dead, it bled all over me and I threw it on the ground... about 15 minutes later the dog walked by it, nosed it... and the bird got up and flew away.

Either we are too trusting of the birds being dead or they're much smarter than us :rofl:
Last edited by one ducky lady on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:11 am

What kind of birds where you shooting? :huh:

We have fun going to my grandparents farm and doing a little target practice on the pigeons. Last time, my husband shot one that had to have weighed close to two pounds, it was huge! Problem is that really only one or the other of us gets to shoot. Someone has to chase them out of the barn.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:01 pm

I have no clue what they are, maybe barn swallows? Just some tiny little birds.

2lbs is HUGE for a pigeon.... that's just ridiculous lol

Luckily down there we get fortunate enough that the birds fly around like crazy without someone chasing them... especially when anyone cuts grass.
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby ripnrr's wife » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:31 pm

haha, dirty birds. what were you shooting them with?
"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser."
ripnrr's wife
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:13 am

We normally take our 20g out for the pigeons and just shoot target loads at them, usually #8 shot. Joe used #6 game loads last time though. We had shot in a charity skeet/trap tournament and had only brought enough shells for the tourney. So we had to stop at a hole in the wall little sporting goods store near my grandparents for shells and that was the only box of 20g they had in stock.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:51 pm

I know the question wasn't directed at me but to go with my story, hubby's uncle brought out a real police riot gun to shoot these little birds... I was stunned he had a riot gun and his friend had an 870.

We show up with our two 12g Beretta's and i'm feeling pretty stupid at this point...

:rofl:
one ducky lady
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum