Getting Excited for Opening Day!

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Getting Excited for Opening Day!

Postby one ducky lady » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:47 pm

Opening day is September 1st and i'm more than ready for it... the days are dragging by.

Although I won't be hunting on opening day... it does mark the start of the season so i'm itching to get out =]
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:09 am

I'm so pumped though a tad discouraged. I'm hoping my scouting trips this weekend will remedy that. We went out scouting on Sunday and saw a little sign of geese, but didn't hear or see any (but one). We did find an AWESOME spot for ducks though. Then I drove all over last night in another area and nothing again. I did see a bald eagle, got within 15ft. of a young raccoon, and found a bunch of sandhill cranes on a lake. So it was still a worth the drive, it always is.

I'll be up at before dawn this weekend to check out a couple areas that looked promising. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:03 pm

Yeah I hope you're able to find a spot that's plentiful for geese. My hubbys hunting mate went out scouting the other day for geese on their leased farm in NJ... when he came back he said there were a MASS amount of Turkeys.

So I got excited since i'm dying to get some turkey :biggrin:
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:57 am

Turkey hunting is SUCH a rush! I missed one last spring, but I had a great time out there. I'm hoping to get my first turkey next April.

As for geese, I'm SO pumped. We were at the in-laws last night working on a boat blind for the guys. Tonight Joe's going to rig up decoys and I'll may end up patterning my 20 gauge. I'm debating which gun to take out. We got an awesome deal on some Remington HD shells, and we're thinking / hoping the geese will decoy close since it's the opener.

I plan on getting up for first light on Saturday, stationing myself on a big hill near three sections of water and hopefully see where the birds are coming from and where they're heading.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby one ducky lady » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:50 pm

We have two turkey seasons here, one fall and one spring... I didn't apply for the fall lottery but my butt will be in Jersey looking for the leftover unclaimed lotteries Oct 6 when they are released.

I also feel the same way, i'm SO excited for geese. The hubby and I are also getting up and scouting Saturday morning and i'm so excited. He even offered to put all of the Jersey sites for public hunting in my GPS (because if you want to hunt in Delaware, you better have a boat).

I'm getting more and more excited as each day goes by! :grooving:

--- I hope some more girls get on the forum and want to do the traveling deek!
one ducky lady
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:18 am

Good luck!

Opening day was a bust for me. I ended up hiking about 15 miles over the weekend, went through two tanks of gas in the Jeep, and never saw one goose opening day. :no: We have weddings the next two Saturdays, so I won't be doing much more hunting until duck season opens up. At least I had a bunch of wood ducks buzzing my decoys and landing in them. I may end up back there, opening day.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Outdoors Women Forum