exhaust question

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

exhaust question

Postby mydogearl » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:19 am

i have 01 dodge ram 318. when i bought the truck 4 yrs ago, it had a horrible, homeade, dual exhaust. they disconnected where the headers connect and ran straight pipes back from each header with crap mufflers. it needed replaced so i had it done. i was younger then and wanted it loud. so i basically have straight pipes with two glasspacks. now i'm older and hate the redneck sound of this loudass truck. it is also a 5 speed so if im goin down a hill or i slow down it makes this horrible popping sound (i don't think its a true backfire). what would be a good way to leave most of the exhaust but replace the glass packs maybe with one muffler that connects both pipes. i dont know much about exhaust but all i know is i want it quieter (doesnt have to be factory quiet) and hopefully not sink too much cash into it.
User avatar
mydogearl
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:35 pm
Location: southern OHIO


Postby Bill Collector Bob » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:18 am

I had a 97 Dakota with a rusted out flow master and that was the best sounding truck IMO (at the time!), I used to love the back cackling!!!

You may want to keep the straight pipes to help that motor keep breathing and just find some cheaper mufflers and do a direct swap for those glass packs.

I've always had great luck garbage picking from local muffler shops for mufflers and misc connectors, however with scrap prices on the rise I'd be sure to talk to the guys inside first.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." -Fred Bear
User avatar
Bill Collector Bob
hunter
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:22 pm
Location: Wyandotte, MI

Re: exhaust question

Postby Grant48 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:55 am

mydogearl wrote: so i basically have straight pipes with two glasspacks.


No catalytic converter? Thats probably the biggest problem. I've noticed that most trucks that make that awful popping noise are the ones where people have removed the cats.
User avatar
Grant48
hunter
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:27 pm
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Postby mydogearl » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:40 am

yep, no cats. my old chevy had glasspacks and no cats and the pipes joined together for about halfway then split and it was also an automatic so it didnt pop and sounded pretty good.

does the popping come from a lack of backpressure? would mufflers give it the backpressure to stop the popping?
User avatar
mydogearl
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:35 pm
Location: southern OHIO

Postby ajmorell » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:21 am

You need 2 things. First you need to equalize the pressure in the pipes. This is done via an x-pipe or an h-pipe. You should also really consider putting cats on it. You can get hi-flow cats for pretty cheap off ebay. Search around you-tube for truck similar to yours (engine/make, etc) find an exhaust you really like and find out what they are running.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Postby Grant48 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:13 pm

mydogearl wrote:does the popping come from a lack of backpressure? would mufflers give it the backpressure to stop the popping?


Yes. Nowadays, computer-controlled engines do need a little bit of backpressure to run properly.

Mufflers might be enough to build just enough backpressure to get rid of the popping.

I also agree with the previous post; get yourself some high-flow cats too.
User avatar
Grant48
hunter
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:27 pm
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Postby ajmorell » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:21 pm

Grant48 wrote:
mydogearl wrote:does the popping come from a lack of backpressure? would mufflers give it the backpressure to stop the popping?


Yes. Nowadays, computer-controlled engines do need a little bit of backpressure to run properly.

Mufflers might be enough to build just enough backpressure to get rid of the popping.

I also agree with the previous post; get yourself some high-flow cats too.



The engine itself requires no backpressure whatsoever. The ONLY function that backpressure serves is to keep the exhaust at a constant temperature, it has nothing to do with the engine itself. The popping may be due to "lack of backpressure" but would be remedied if you had the correct sized exhaust piping.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Postby mydogearl » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:55 pm

so you guys think the high flow cats would quiet it down just enough and also eliminate the popping.

i believe the pipes are 2 1/2", is that the appropriate size?
User avatar
mydogearl
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:35 pm
Location: southern OHIO

Postby jolejnik4bmx » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:09 pm

if your looking for a nice clean sound go out and get yourself an x pipe and magnaflow muffler they sound good on a dodge.
jolejnik4bmx
hunter
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:23 pm

Postby ajmorell » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:08 am

mydogearl wrote:so you guys think the high flow cats would quiet it down just enough and also eliminate the popping.

i believe the pipes are 2 1/2", is that the appropriate size?


Cats will quiet it down some, hard to tell if it will be enough. Glasspacks are cheap and wear out rather quickly, so it may be worth investing in some new mufflers as well - something like Flowmasters or Magnaflows if you'd still like to keep some sound.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Postby mydogearl » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:00 pm

jole, is that with or without cats?

would it be possible to use just one big muffler instead of two?

again, i obviously dont know that much, i just want it a little quieter, no popping, and cheap. is that too much to ask? lol. if it aint cheap, it isnt worth it for me to change. im probably looking for a needle in a haystack
User avatar
mydogearl
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:35 pm
Location: southern OHIO

Postby ajmorell » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:56 pm

mydogearl wrote:jole, is that with or without cats?

would it be possible to use just one big muffler instead of two?

again, i obviously dont know that much, i just want it a little quieter, no popping, and cheap. is that too much to ask? lol. if it aint cheap, it isnt worth it for me to change. im probably looking for a needle in a haystack



You could use one muffler instead of 2 but if you are going to do that you might as well go back to an exhaust configuration close to stock with an aftermarket muffler.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Postby dx1187 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:35 pm

mydogearl wrote:so you guys think the high flow cats would quiet it down just enough and also eliminate the popping.

i believe the pipes are 2 1/2", is that the appropriate size?



If you are running true duals, cats aren't going to quiten anything down.....or not a noticeable amount. Hope they don't start doing emissions tests where you are. It just keeps creaping closer and closer to where I live.
User avatar
dx1187
hunter
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:50 am
Location: THE DUCK BLIND. LAKE FORK, TX

Postby supr87gt » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:46 am

ajmorell wrote:

The ONLY function that backpressure serves is to keep the exhaust at a constant temperature, it has nothing to do with the engine itself.


The backpressure that the mufflers will produce will increase torque. That consequently will limit the flow coming from the exhaust a bit to reduce HP. Probably wont be enough to notice but it may. The cats aren't going to make THAT much difference in sound but the mufflers will. If you want it quiet, get some stock (replacement) mufflers from autozone or something and put them in place of the glasspacks. The cats MAY quiet it a tad but the mufflers are where it's at. I doubt you'll get rid of the popping completely. Especially since you're essentially using it as an engine brake going down a hill (Im assuming). Put it in neutral and use the brake if it's that bad.
supr87gt
hunter
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:26 am
Location: Herscher, IL

Postby ajmorell » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:39 am

supr87gt wrote:
ajmorell wrote:

The ONLY function that backpressure serves is to keep the exhaust at a constant temperature, it has nothing to do with the engine itself.


The backpressure that the mufflers will produce will increase torque. That consequently will limit the flow coming from the exhaust a bit to reduce HP. Probably wont be enough to notice but it may. The cats aren't going to make THAT much difference in sound but the mufflers will. If you want it quiet, get some stock (replacement) mufflers from autozone or something and put them in place of the glasspacks. The cats MAY quiet it a tad but the mufflers are where it's at. I doubt you'll get rid of the popping completely. Especially since you're essentially using it as an engine brake going down a hill (Im assuming). Put it in neutral and use the brake if it's that bad.


I'm not disagreeing with you but the sole purpose of backpressure within an exhaust system is to regulate the exhaust temperature. Granted you don't want excessive backpressure but there is also such a thing as too little. Mufflers in themselves won't add backpressure, it depends on the kind of muffler. Most straight-through mufflers won't add much backpressure at all.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Postby supr87gt » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:01 pm

ajmorell wrote: Most straight-through mufflers won't add much backpressure at all.



Assuming he's trying to limit the resonance/sound coming from the truck a straight-through type muffler is what he should avoid. I had a 2 chamber flowmaster on a Mustang I have with good results. Maybe even put on a 3 chamber to quiet it even more. I ran the 2 chambers both with and without cats and with stock manifolds and a set of longtube headers.
supr87gt
hunter
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:26 am
Location: Herscher, IL

Postby ajmorell » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:41 pm

supr87gt wrote:
ajmorell wrote: Most straight-through mufflers won't add much backpressure at all.



Assuming he's trying to limit the resonance/sound coming from the truck a straight-through type muffler is what he should avoid. I had a 2 chamber flowmaster on a Mustang I have with good results. Maybe even put on a 3 chamber to quiet it even more. I ran the 2 chambers both with and without cats and with stock manifolds and a set of longtube headers.



Agreed, I just wanted to point out that the type of muffler will affect the amount of backpressure
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM


Return to Vehicle forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests