Any recommendations for bows?

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Any recommendations for bows?

Postby DEDuck34 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:09 pm

My gf and i are trying to do some research for bows, and i wanted to get some advice on what are some good brands to get or try out...any suggestions and why
DEDuck34
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:16 pm

i think that most all bows today are pretty good. however you may just want to spend all your money and buy the fanciest new one on the market now because you'll end up doing it later anyways :biggrin:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby duckhntr83 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:37 pm

I know alot of people are going to say Matthews, Hoyt, Bowtech etc. I have a Bowtech Tribute and love the thing. There are alot of great bows out here these days. You should go to a Bow Shop and see how they feel in your hands and shoot them, then you will know which ones are comfortable and fit you the best. It's all personal choice. If you need anymore help you can PM me and I will try to help you out as best I can.
U.S. Navy-Aviation Ordnanceman
Delta Waterfowl
Ducks Unlimited
NRA
duckhntr83
hunter

Postby DEDuck34 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:46 pm

thanks..will most places that sell bows let you try them out, cause im not really that familiar with bows that much but its something i want to get into
DEDuck34
hunter

Postby grunter » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:13 pm

well, every guy on here is gonna tell you that his brand is the best. i was lookin around a little myself a few months ago. it really depends on how much you'll be usin em. if you only get out 5 times a season, i wouldnt go buy a mathews, hoyt, or bowtec. i found a bow at bass pro shops called the kronik that was less than $400 and was very good for the money. i didnt buy it cause i talked myself out of it. it also depends on what you like in a bow. single cam or dual cam, wood grips or plastic, 32" or 36", packaged bow or set it up yourself. all i can say is go shoot as many bows you can. compare the $850 mathews to the $400 diamond. find what fits you, your budget, and what will get the job done.
grunter
hunter

Postby duckhntr83 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:16 pm

Most place should. I know Matthews will let you shoot them. I think any reputable shop definitely should.
U.S. Navy-Aviation Ordnanceman
Delta Waterfowl
Ducks Unlimited
NRA
duckhntr83
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:26 pm

Go to a shop that has a large selection of bows. I don't care if it is 10 minutes away or a 4 hour drive. Find a shops that is a dealer for multiple brands. Shot them all as much as they will let you.

Everyone will tell you what they shoot and that it is great. And it may be, for them.

When i was in the market, I was looking into a mid-range priced bow. Nothing fancy and no blazing IBO speed. Just a good bow for the money.

I shot Bowtech, Mathews. PSE, Bear, etc. But I ended up with a Diamond bow. They are owned by Bowtech and are a good bow for the money. I am not telling you to get a Diamond. Only that it was the bow that I picked.

My personal choice for a bow was narrowed down to a non-split limb, single cam, parallel limb design. I did not like the split limb design since it can lead to cam lean later int eh bow's life. I like the single cam because it is easier to tune. And I wanted the parallel limb design just for the shorter ATA for ground blind hunting.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jrockncash » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:42 am

That was a brilliant post. Dead on the money.

The key is to shoot a couple of bows in your price range and get the one you liked the best.

I wouldnt get a Ross Bow anymore. They used to be good but just sold to Bowtech and they are going to cheapen them up and sell them at walmart. :thumbsdown:

Look at Parker and Bear for Bows that are priced for the average man. The Truth 2 is heavy but not bad at all for the price.

Then the usual. Mathews, Bowtech, Not Hoyt(dont like them), Limbsaver DropZone(Neat Bow), and an older Ross (Cardiac)
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:26 pm

I like oneida
:thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:57 am

Hey man, just got to go shoot em. I've had a parker for 4 years. I thought I wanted a new bow, but after shooting them. I'll hang on to my Parker. Are hunters even making bows anymore? :huh:
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Remman » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:15 pm

I have shot many brands of bows, you need to find one that fits you to a tee , also your wallet! I have a matthews and 3 bowtech bows, The matthews bows are really smooth when drawing, my bowtech patriot is harder to pull, but it has two cams! I have had very good luck with both brands. Find a good pro shop, they should have a indoor range so you can shoot them all! Also do not get a bow with to much poundage{ peek draw weight} if you can not draw the bow smoothly you might spook deer while drawing the bow. If you need some more info , just shoot me a PM, I would be glad to help out!
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby deke freak » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:11 pm

i would also consider the service in the bow shop, imo you can find a bow from many different brands that works for you, in the end my choice was a bowtech guardian, an awsome bow, but i also got along with the bow tech tech better than the matthews tech
deke freak
hunter

Postby roughstock23 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:33 am

I recently took my wife to get a bow and after shooting every brand and price range of bow we settled on the Diamond Edge for her. It goes up to 50lbs and I believe 27 inches in draw length. Shoots close to 300fps properly set up and I think we paid less than 400 for an upgraded rest and arrows all said and done. very smooth and quiet. Great bow. i shoot a reflex Highlander and wouldn't trade it for anything!
"Call em close, Smack em in the lips" ruffryder19@myspace.com
Buck Gardner Pro Staff
roughstock23
hunter

Postby jaker » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:44 pm

My advice would be to go on ebay and buy a bow. A few posts back someone said that mathews are $850, but thats new. I bought a mathews outback last summer for $480 bucks fully set up with half a dozen arrows. Look on there and find you a good deal. Mathews is definately my favorite bow but I have owned PSE and Diamond. Go to the bow shop and shoot one like everyone is reccommending then pick a bow and go find it used on ebay. anyways hope this helps
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby Remman » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:54 pm

I have a lady hawk bow from bowtech for sale, if your girl friend is looking to hunt with you Deduck.
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Archery