Golden Eyes & Snow Geese

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Golden Eyes & Snow Geese

Postby DuckFlyer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:00 pm

Just wondering.
25 years ago when I was duck/ goose hunting (Northern Kent County) there were a lot of Golden eyes and snow geese. since I started hunting again 4-5 years ago, I have seen Zero Snows and very very few Golden eyes.
A mans gotta belive in something, I believe I'll go hunting!
DuckFlyer
hunter

Re: Golden Eyes & Snow Geese

Postby ajmorell » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:00 pm

DuckFlyer wrote:Just wondering.
25 years ago when I was duck/ goose hunting (Northern Kent County) there were a lot of Golden eyes and snow geese. since I started hunting again 4-5 years ago, I have seen Zero Snows and very very few Golden eyes.

I haven't seen any snows or Goldeneyes in the last 5 years or so at all in the Kent/Ottawa county area.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Cobra » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:30 am

Battle Creek/Kazoo area -- not many 'eyes around the last few years either, Buffies are even rare. Snows/Blues still come thru, they just don't seem to stop anymore.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:34 am

I live just south of the Kent Co. line in Allegan Co, but grew up in Kent. Last fall/winter was the first time I've ever seen snows. They happened to fly over the house while I was out feeding the dogs.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

we usually see 10-12 snows every year in the saginaw bay area but last year was the first year that I did not see any.

Do not remember ever seeing any goldeneyes.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DuxLastSight » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:42 pm

got a goldeneye on the wall that i shot 06-07 season, other than that none, last year i saw a lot more snows than i normally do, but i also hunted later in the season than i normally do (P.S. i hunt the fish point area)
'10 Totals

Mallards-0
Black Ducks-0
Woodys-0
Redhead-0
Blue Bills-0
B.W. Teal-0
G.W. Teal-0
Geese-4
Bands-0
DuxLastSight
hunter

Re:

Postby davidc » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:37 am

Cobra wrote:Battle Creek/Kazoo area -- not many 'eyes around the last few years either, Buffies are even rare. Snows/Blues still come thru, they just don't seem to stop anymore.

You want buffles come to lake st Clair and I'll put you on a limit no problem. I'm getting tired of them.
davidc
Newb

Re:

Postby cam liden » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:54 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:we usually see 10-12 snows every year in the saginaw bay area but last year was the first year that I did not see any.

Do not remember ever seeing any goldeneyes.

ive never seen snows on the bay, but the goldies are there, you just gotta look for 'em.
cam liden
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:48 pm

2008 season I watched the guys in area 1 or 2 take down 3 snows out of the 4 that were staying around there and the last one was taken later that day. I usually see them early season but this year I was there for the first week every day and most of the second week and did not see one.

I did see some shovelers this year though, at one time I could kill shovelers every time out and then they were all gone. Not really my favorite bird but the full color ones are nice.

This thread is from 2008 :lol3:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowl1030 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:31 pm

Im in muskegon and if you go out to lake michigan you will see more goldeneyes then you can even think of. You will see flocks by the hundreds flying out farther and in the late season we will limit out on them
Big Sean's Championship Calls Field Team
waterfowl1030
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting