Scent Blocker

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Scent Blocker

Postby duckmann » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:23 am

Hey guys,

I just started bow hunting and am currently shooting every day getting ready for the season to begin. It is so fun I can't believe I didn't start doing this 20 years ago! I have been told that as a bow hunter I should seriously consider using scent blocker clothing as my shots are obviously going to be much closer than with a rifle. I have never used scent blocking clothing in the past and have had deer get VERY close BUT on the other hand I am always very careful with eliminating scent from myself and my clothes.

My question is does this stuff really work as good as they say it does or is this just another hunting gimmick? Also, if you all agree that scent blocker IS the way to go what brand should I consider? Are some brands and companies better than others?

Thanks,

Duckmann
duckmann
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:32 pm

I cannot make any comments on weather scent blocker gear works or not but without it I have had deer close enough to me that I just pointed the gun at their shoulders and squeezed the trigger. IMO concealment is first and foremost, after positioning so that you will be down wind from your quarry.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:38 pm

I do not go hunting without my scent blocker suit on. I have been able to tell the different's since I have been using it. The wind where I hunt doe's a lot of swirling & stuff so it makes it hard to set downwind all the time.just MO
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:01 am

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/cor ... _suits.htm , Thats all you need to know. I wash my clothes in scent free detergent, put in a scent free bag and throw a few fresh earth wafers in there. I also put some leaves, dirt, etc in there as well. The main thing you need to do is dress in the field, I know it can be cold but do you know how much scent and possible cigarette smoke is in your truck or camp? Then spray down with some scent spray/cover scent and have the wind in your face. Thats just about as good off as you can get. Peace, Quack.
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:08 pm

An other point that has yet to be made is the fact that there are still exposed parts of your anatomy which the scent eliminating clothing woud have no effect on.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:48 pm

:withstupid: , also, Look into the Xcent products, I think they actually fight bacteria instead of trapping it, havent payed attention to them yet.
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:27 pm

QuackWacker08 has hit on the head. Two other things that you will want to do. Get your gas the night before not the morning of the hunt. If you do have to stop at a gas station do not wear your hunting boots there. Keep them in that scent free bag. And take a shower with scent free soap and shampoo. Well maybe that was three things to do :yes:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby C_DUbb » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:11 am

I have been archery hunting for about ten years now. I am anal when it comes to being sent free. well human sent free. I will put my clothes in the smoke of a campfire the night before.

Campfire smoke is always in the forest. (dont know about you easterners though)
If I find where an elk or deer has urinated I will roll in it. I wipe dung on my boots.
If I cant do the above mentioned things I will spray down with Scent Blockers Carbon Blast.
Then find a sapling and rub that thing all over. Paying close attention to my groin and armpits.

Yes I have purchased a carbon suit. I have not noticed a real difference.
So If you have the money to blow, go ahead purchase it.

If you dont have the dough, try some of the above mentioned ideas.

C Dubb
Callem in your face close!!
And
Do em
UGLY!!!
C_DUbb
hunter

Excellent Info

Postby duckmann » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:06 am

QW08,

Just want to say that the article you linked was great. Very informative. Glad you submitted before I flushed a couple hundred dollars down the toilet on the scent blocker stuff.

Also, thanks to all that replied. . . as I am new to the world of bow hunting I am sure I will have many more questions in the upcoming months before the start of the season.

DuckMann
duckmann
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:16 pm

Glad we could help, keep the wind in your face and straight shootin to you all!!! :salude:
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:45 pm

I use a Scent Blocker Plus suit. Have for over 6 years now. Just sold my old suit and purchased a new one. As for not working for anyone else...????? But for me, I have noticed a difference while hunting with it. I still shower with all the anti-bacterial hunt soaps, dress in the field, carry my clothes in scent safe bags and spray down my boots with scent blocker spray and then red fox pee. I've had deer 10 yards down wind from me while in the stand 100's of times while using it all, and the suit, the way it's supposed to be used and haven't been blown out yet. The does will almost always "know" something just isn't quite right, but they don't blow and go, they just walk away. I can tell you right now, before I added the suit into the mix I saw plenty of deer, and was busted plenty of times. But after getting the suit, I see more deer up close while in the stand and on the ground and have had the opp. to take some very up close shots. I've hunted our same 80 acres for years and I'd have to vote for the suit. If I told you guys how close I've had deer to me while still hunting you would think I was lying to you so I won't even go into it.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Return to Big Game