A-5 Owners --- Roll Call

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Postby CrossHare » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:37 am

Here is an all original NIB 1965 Shaweet sixteen w/a 26'' IC VR Barrel that is in my collection.
Failure's hard, but success is far more dangerous. If you're successful at the wrong thing the mix of praise, money and opportunity can lock you in forever.
CrossHare
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:04 pm

very nice there, crosshare.

here's my ratty old 1959 Magnum 12 with the only duck that came into the decoys the other day.

bluewing77
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:59 pm

CrossHare

I'll be expecting an invite to help shoot the new off all those boxed A-5's you have once BO outlaws the resale of all autoloaders. It will be a pleasure that I hope never happens.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby CrossHare » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:37 pm

If that were to happen it would be a sad day indeed A5Mag12. I sold all of my duplicate yr A5's and am now down to only the keepers. I don't think BO wants to chance coming to my house and imposing his will.

A5Mag12 wrote:CrossHare

I'll be expecting an invite to help shoot the new off all those boxed A-5's you have once BO outlaws the resale of all autoloaders. It will be a pleasure that I hope never happens.
Failure's hard, but success is far more dangerous. If you're successful at the wrong thing the mix of praise, money and opportunity can lock you in forever.
CrossHare
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:59 pm

CrossHare wrote:If that were to happen it would be a sad day indeed A5Mag12. I sold all of my duplicate yr A5's and am now down to only the keepers. I don't think BO wants to chance coming to my house and imposing his will.

I'd take an invite from either one of you guys to shoot your wares. I've still got a lot of catching up to do. :biggrin:

Rifles seem to be taking all my money lately...
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby CrossHare » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:04 am

Mine too. I have a new AR build that smarts a little bit especially here at Christmas time.

bgoldhunter wrote:
CrossHare wrote:If that were to happen it would be a sad day indeed A5Mag12. I sold all of my duplicate yr A5's and am now down to only the keepers. I don't think BO wants to chance coming to my house and imposing his will.

I'd take an invite from either one of you guys to shoot your wares. I've still got a lot of catching up to do. :biggrin:

Rifles seem to be taking all my money lately...
CrossHare
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:18 am

I'm waiting on some lowers to arrive before I get to feel that joy.

Still have a hard time deciding what I want to do with 'em!
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby CrossHare » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:18 pm

Put uppers on them :thumbsup: I guess you could sell if you bought at a good enough deal just as easy.
CrossHare
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:00 pm

Ill take one. :rofl:
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby CrossHare » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:46 pm

Any of you guys ever hear of a cartridge known as the 6 mm WOA? It is a necked down 6.8 to what it desires to be, a 6mm. This is the caliber I decided to try. I love those wildcats! :thumbsup:
CrossHare
hunter

Postby Icelander513 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:10 pm

Stumbled upon this beaut last Tuesday. I practically stole it. I've been searching for +2 years. Found it in the local gun shop on luck. >98% condition Magnum factory Stalker 28" vent rib Jap invector+. 1994 looks to be barely touched. Paid $499... two days ago. :biggrin:

Icelander513
hunter

Postby CrossHare » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:02 pm

I bet if you were interested in making a profit you could post that badboy on here and it would disappear fast. Very nice find indeed!

Icelander513 wrote:Stumbled upon this beaut last Tuesday. I practically stole it. I've been searching for +2 years. Found it in the local gun shop on luck. >98% condition Magnum factory Stalker 28" vent rib Jap invector+. 1994 looks to be barely touched. Paid $499... two days ago. :biggrin:

CrossHare
hunter

Postby Icelander513 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:16 pm

CrossHare wrote:I bet if you were interested in making a profit you could post that badboy on here and it would disappear fast. Very nice find indeed!

More interested in owning, and more importantly hunting, the PERFECT DUCK GUN... I've been looking for this pretty thing for a while. Passed up a Light 12 Stalker >90% for $489 just a few months ago at the same shop. I didn't buy it but regretted in and thought I'd never find a deal like that again. Glad I didn't bite the first time because the Magnum is what I really wanted. I can't wait till late goose season.
Icelander513
hunter

Postby - Andy - » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:51 pm

Well... I done messed up.

I sold my 1950 standard weight A5 16gauge about two weeks ago. It was MINT. I was the second owner of the gun, and probably shot 15 boxes of shells through it between two dove hunts, a skeet shoot and a few outings of sporting clays. The gun was just too pretty to hunt with. As a collector, it was not exactly desireable. Had everything going againest it except poly chokes and cutts (thank God..... they work well and shoot good... but they ain't much to look at!). This gun had no rib, St. Louis safety, modified barrel 27 1/2. Everything about it was original... right down to the buffalo horn butt plate. I bought it in 2003 for $300 and sold it for $650 to a rabbit hunter who had his fathers sweet 16 and didn't want to tear it up. Glad he has a use for it. I wanted to shoot ducks with it... and with no choke tubes and Kent Tungsten Matrix at $40 a box (I have a case of it squirreled away though)..... I thought I was out of the A5 16ga business maybe for good... which was sad.

Well... here I am two weeks later.... went by the local dive and found what I actually wanted in the first place... a Jap made (1990) sweet 16... choke tubes and all..... I picked it up and never planned on buying it... got to handling it and thinking about it... and awwww damn it I just got rid of one! $850..... has one big scratch on the stock... otherwise almost perfect. You can tell its been hunted, but its in good shape... gotta go collect the consignment money from the place I sold the standard and pick up the sweet on Sunday. Merry Christmas to me! And I'll have something I won't be afraid to hunt with!
Tell your wife you love her, wrestle in the yard with your kids, shake your best friend's hand, let your dog sleep on the bed, and thank God for all the blessings in your life.
- Andy -
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:29 pm

Congrats on the Sweet, but I wouldn't have minded the Standard.

Good snag Icelander...that is a steal for a Stalker for sure!

CH/DR, I'd like to know how you like the 6 WOA. I don't know of a single guy running it. Have a buddy trying to convince me to do a 6AR or 6AR Turbo, but would also go WOA.

I'm thinking about keeping both mine .223 for now. Never heard of anyone doing 223AI in an AR, but that would be about perfect for a predator rifle. Imagine feeding would be a pain...
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby CrossHare » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:35 am

BG, I decided to go w/the 6WOA after what seemed to be an eternity of soul searching. By all accounts it should hit like the hammer of Thor. A 70 gr bullet travels the same velocity as a 52gr .223, roughly 3500fps. Dan Carey of http://www.careycustomrifleco.com/ does my AR work for me and he recommended it highly. He has built more than a gross of them and he said that .2's are no biggie w/this caliber :eek: . The caliber was designed by John of http://whiteoakarmament.com/ You'd get your Redding dies from him as well and you have the benefit of joining his 6WOA forum too for some proven loading data. I am not sure how the AI's shoulders would fare in the AR's.
bgoldhunter wrote:Congrats on the Sweet, but I wouldn't have minded the Standard.

Good snag Icelander...that is a steal for a Stalker for sure!

CH/DR, I'd like to know how you like the 6 WOA. I don't know of a single guy running it. Have a buddy trying to convince me to do a 6AR or 6AR Turbo, but would also go WOA.

I'm thinking about keeping both mine .223 for now. Never heard of anyone doing 223AI in an AR, but that would be about perfect for a predator rifle. Imagine feeding would be a pain...
CrossHare
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:55 pm

I'm not much of an AR guy, but have never heard a bad thing about Dan (or WOA for that matter).

I wasn't going to do much, but now you have wheels turning in my head! :yes:
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby sbarnett » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:21 pm

i got one made in the 50s that was handed down to me from my grandfather!! it has not been shot since the 70s!! but its in great shape and ill eventually give it to one of my sons!!
sbarnett
hunter

Postby - Andy - » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:39 am

bgoldhunter wrote:Congrats on the Sweet, but I wouldn't have minded the Standard.

I didn't either... I just didn't want to shoot steel out of it. Granted its not exactly museaum quality or anything like that, but I think what I have now is going to be a lot more useful to me. I'm not too big on having guns that I don't use..... I'd like to have a collection someday, but don't have the means or the space to devote to such a pursuit just yet. I think with this newer one I won't be afraid to actually hunt the thing... and thats what its all about!
Tell your wife you love her, wrestle in the yard with your kids, shake your best friend's hand, let your dog sleep on the bed, and thank God for all the blessings in your life.
- Andy -
hunter

Postby IlHunter » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:55 pm

first of all that is one heck of a line up yentzen. secondly my dad gave me a light twelve a few years ago (kept the sweet 16 for himself). ive only shot about ten shots out of it. but im thinking about bringing it pheasant hunting this year. but ive heard not to shoot steel shot out of old guns because the barrels arent as strong as modern barrels. have any of you guys heard this?
IlHunter
hunter

Postby - Andy - » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:26 pm

IlHunter wrote: but ive heard not to shoot steel shot out of old guns because the barrels arent as strong as modern barrels. have any of you guys heard this?

That greatly depends.

If you shoot a lot of steel shot, then over time your fixed choke barrels will "open up" a bit. The tighter the choke.... the more effected it will be. I shot a few wood ducks saturday with a 1960s 1100 12ga.... fixed SKEET choke.... only available option as I'd left the mainstays at home and I was on a business trip and got a last minute invite.... works just fine.

If your gun is an IC or other open choke.... you will be fine. If you shoot very little steel shot through a Modified you'll probably be ok too. I wouldn't shoot it down anything tighter though. There are some high density alternatives like classic doubles or Kent Tungsten Matrix that will work better than steel and are totally safe for your older gun.... but they are a bit more expensive.
- Andy -
hunter

A=5

Postby wratliffky » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:35 am

I traded a beagle puppy from my firt litter when I was 11 for my A-5
light 12.
I'm 46 now with a safe full of shotguns and you guessed it, that's what I hunt with.
Only one problem, a 26" mod barrel. That means call em in close
and down they go.
Supreme Elite #4 shot!! What a load!! By the way my back up gun for geese is BPS 10 gauge with nitro steel T shot!!
Life is good!! :thumbsup:
wratliffky
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:39 pm

x
Last edited by bluewing77 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby IlHunter » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:58 pm

i have another question for you guys. my light 12 says 2 3/4 shells on the barrel but a 3" will fit it in. Can i mess up the gun by shooting 3 inch shells? if had this gun for a few years but never took it hunting. now that ive seen all the posts its got me in the mood to take it pheasant hunting.
IlHunter
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:22 am

IlHunter wrote:i have another question for you guys. my light 12 says 2 3/4 shells on the barrel but a 3" will fit it in. Can i mess up the gun by shooting 3 inch shells?

Light 12 will only take 2.75" shells..
bluewing77
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum