Refinishing a gun

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Refinishing a gun

Postby johnboy07 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:55 am

My shotgun is old and needs to be refinished. There is a long story on why it got the rust it does, but I am looking into camoing it out. Not sure what system or how to do. Can anyone lead me in the right direction. I would like to get this done before duck season so I really dont want to take it to a gun smith. Any thoughts on camo clading etc. Please :help:
"You know your team's not in the race when guys are growing beards for the duck hunting season."

— Steve Boros
:beer:
johnboy07
State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:29 am

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=36000

One way to paint one,

There are also several bake on finishes that I prefer and but take a bit of prep time and can only be removed with media blasting.

I have never tried the camo clad but the guns I seen with it do not look good at all. but it could be that it was not installed properly.

if you want it before season that sending it in for a camo dip is out as they usually take 6 to 8 weeks to get it back to you. but this also gives the best finish IMO. I have a few camo dipped guns and they hold up great to anything I have put them thru.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby model11 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:37 pm

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

Have used this stuff a few times and love it. I strip and blast my guns w/ alum.oxide 1st, and use a "auto touch-up" HVLP spray gun but you don't have to. The kits they sell will work pretty good and you can get an instructional DVD.
model11
hunter

Postby BADDUCK » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:06 pm

If you put cladding like tape etc. on top of pits it will rust like hell underneath the tape. I would take everything down to the bare metal using a Birchwood Caseys Blue and Rust Remover then sand out the pits with 400 to 600 black paper. You can do a decent job of re-bluing with Caseys Super Blue. Follow the steps exactly. It will take at least 3 applications. Apply plain gun oil every 3 days and let the metal soak it up.
ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE?
BADDUCK
Membership Temporarily Suspended

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum