upland road trip

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

upland road trip

Postby Yoda » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:20 am

i was wondering if anyone has ever done a multi day up to a week upland road trip? i am from illinois and have a dog that was raised on pen raised pheasants and has gotten her opportunities at wild pheasants and quail and done pretty well. but here in illinois, our opportunity at public land and good upland habitat is pretty limited. she's going to be 6 this year and before she retires, i'd like to enjoy some hunting with her for wild birds in a place where i am not so limited by boundaries. i have been looking at the strip of states from north dakota south to kansas. it looks like they have lots of public acres and some great programs where farmers allow walk in hunting. i'd be more than willing to knock on doors as well, but the more public ground the better, that way at least i'd know i have a place to hunt. i'm not necessarily looking for a place that dozens of pheasants are constantly flushing every 50 yards. but, i'd like to see at least a few each day. and i'm willing to walk as many miles and do as much hard work as i have to.
so, after that long winded explanation, anyone have any tips?
thanks much in advance
Yoda
hunter

Postby Kurt » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:24 pm

If you want pheasants come to mobridge sd we have a record amount this year. The brood counts went up 61% from last year to 12.29 birds per mile and there is alot of public land. The chamberlain area had a count of 22.56 birds per mile but dont know how much public land there is and permision will be really tough to get.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby Drew33 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:38 pm

If your not stuck on Hunting Pheasant. You might want to try Ruff Grouse in Northern MN. I grew up there and there is lots of Grouse. You could also try the western side of the state for grouse and sharp tail. And as far as state land it is endless if it's not farm land and not posted you can hunt it. If your interested I can give you some info on places to go
Drew
Drew33
hunter

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:06 pm

drew 33. how are the wolves in minnesota. i have a buddy that wants to go up to wisconsin for grouse. i guess it's supposed to be really good, but i guess the wolves are supposed to be really bad.
Yoda
hunter

Postby Drew33 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:01 pm

The wolves are getting out of hand. If they move into your deer area you'll be lucky. to see a deer. There needs to be a season. if the DNR would sell a wolf tag for $20.00 I bet 90% of deer hunter would buy a tag. That's alot of revenue for the state. MN has some really good grouse hunting I own a 300 acre farm(Hunting Camp) outside a small town named Grygla in western MN . It's farm country lots of birds. But if I was to go back for grouse I would hunt around the Grand Rapids area.
Drew
Drew33
hunter

Return to Upland Game