shotgun weight

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

shotgun weight

Postby gunnerstand » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:56 pm

I have a Rem. 11-87 and love it,only wish I could cut down on the weight. 12 gauge 26'' barrel. Sweet gun just heavy. Does any one have ideas?
gunnerstand
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:57 am

Unfortunately you just have a heavy gun. Most autos, especially gas models are fairly heavy. One way to lighten her up would be to replace the wooden stock and forearm with composite...just be aware that the lighter the gun the more felt recoil you will have.

Short of replacing the stock you could slightly reduce the overall weight by removing some wood from within the stock. Unfortunately this would throw the balance of the gun way off and you really wouldn't be able to remove but a few ounces without jeopardizing the integrity of the stock.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:49 pm

The remingtons are just heavy shotguns. The "light contour" models save a bit of weight and you could replace your barrel and forend with a light contour version but the savings would be min.

The remington info I have shows the wood and synthetic models weighing the same (8-1/8 lbs for the 26" barrel) or in some cases there is a 1/8th pound difference. not enough to really notice.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby blindretrieve » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:24 pm

try only putting one shell in it :thumbsup:
It aint like you can shoot anyways :umm:
My lab is smarter than your honor student
blindretrieve
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:50 pm

I just made an important discovery as I have a Rem 1100 which has the same stock forearm as the Rem11-87
From past experience last year I changed the stock on my Rem 870 and shucked off 8 ounces with e Ram synthetic camo and changed the plastic plug with a small diam wood dowel. Rem 870 now eighs 6 lbs 8 oz
This week I was looking for the Ram again for my Rem 1100 and went out and tried the Ram which costs $10 more than the stock black Rem stock which does weigh the same as the wood and the Ram was lighter..next I tried the rem monte carlo black syntheric and it felt heavier than oriiginal wood.
Lastly the dealer pulled out the Remington1100 synthetic stock in breakup camo and the weigh scales showed an amazing 10 ounces with the plastic plug changed out with a small wood dowel.
That stock is built better than the Ram as it is not totally hollow and has a channel for the rear spring assembly and better kick pad screw area to hold the screws more solid than the Ram.
By the way if you buy the black monte carlo which is heavier it has the Limsaver kick pad.

AS for gun balance the front felt a bit heavy but think about walking a mile and you will feel the benefit..Also my 870n felt just as good with the swing thru procedure.

Cost was $79 Rem 1100 camo now weighs 7lbs even!!
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum