New Jacket Help

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

New Jacket Help

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:10 pm

I need a new jacket. I haven't been out looking much lately, but i need some input on tried and true gear that has been used, abused, and approved by hunters in the field. everything these days says "waterproof", yeah right...maybe the first time you use it...then the fugger leaks like a seive.

so, here are my requirements..i'll pay up to 250 for it, so i shouldn't be limited by price too much.

-waterproof. really. i am thinking Gortex or similar.

-camo (obviously)

-i want a "wader" style jacket. one that cuts off at the beltline and will preferably have some sort of elastic or drawstring system around the base

-hood. needs to be able to roll into the jacket or somehow be able to be tucked out of the way when not in use. removable is not an option..that just means i'll remove it and leave it in the truck, then all hell breaks loose and i have no hood.

-good storage space (pockets in usuable locations)

-prefer NO VELCRO, but will accept it if that is all that is available

-shell holder tubes would be nice, but not necessary

-not big and bulky. i wear enough fleece undergarments..i don't need a big bulky jacket. zip in/out liner would be nice.

ok boys..whaddya got for me? links to webpages where i can see the product would be welcome for those that don't mind making the effort.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:28 pm

[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:45 pm

whenever im looking for some new clothing, and wanna make sure its dependable and usually affordible, i think military surplus...if ya can kill people with it, it should be up for ducks
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:19 pm

Was gonig to refer you too same one as Akaska did
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cooter » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:48 pm

I have a GameHide Jacket. It is 6 years old, and still has the color it did when it was new. I love it. It has a pocket on the arm that is just right for a Mag Pin Light, and on the other arm a pocket that is just right for Sunglasses. Both are out of the way, plus the normal pockets that everyone has.

I'll be staying with GameHide. cooter
member of: Team GREEN
cooter
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:01 pm

Cooter - i bought my brother-in-law a Gamehide jacket for christmas a few years back. It is a nice jacket for sure.

ARN - I have seen that one and have seriously been considering it. Columbia is a local based company and they have their own retail store not far from where i live. I may go check them out and see what they have. glad to hear that they hold up well in the weather.

anyone else?? I'm far from having made up my mind.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:00 pm

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:09 am

I have a Columbia and I am very pleased with it.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:17 pm

I have a mossy oak company jacket. It's well thought out, waterproof, and nice, but I have busted off a few of the button snaps. :thumbsdown:

I have a Gamehide 4n1 that has not seen quite the same heavy duty field action as the other, but it has been good to me so far.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:23 pm

hard to go wrong with Columbia wind and water proofing. I like the jacket Stouff recomended. Is that hood attached? Columbia's silent shell jacket looks good to (no draw string though)
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby H-2-O-FOWL » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:46 am

Get a army field jacket with a liner. I wear mine when it is -20 degrees and stay outside 8 to 10 hours at a time. I bought a bunch of different styles of xxx large camo shirts that i wear over them so i can change my camo to match different spots. I use waterproofing for tents (camp dry)on it
H-2-O-FOWL
hunter

Postby viper24k » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:22 pm

i've been wearing the same columbia jacket for the last five years.... never got wet...... and i prolly should've...... the only thing i dont like is the delta hunter pattern..... it's good but it's not advantage...
Theres nothin better than a moonlit sunrise over a spread of dekes

She Thinks My Dog is Sexy

Quackin, Whackin and Stackin....
viper24k
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:09 pm

It is looking more and more like the Columbia is going to be the one. I tried one on at sportsmans saturday, it is certainly geared to keep you warm. i am thinking it might be TOO warm. I walk a looong way with alot of gear on and when the temps are above freezing it is easy to get overheated in all that stuff.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby canadian_mix » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:49 pm

I have a columbia jacket I use for snowmobiling... I use it when its -40 (celcius) but thats pretty cold. and I could stand to just have a t-shirt on underneath and still be comfortable. I never get wet and I'm always dry, and the material is tough (trust me, I slid down the road on my back at 60 miles an hour after I rolled the sled)
Git er dun!
canadian_mix
hunter

Postby Franchi » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:04 am

I have had a Browning 4 in 1 wader jacket for 2 years now and It still looks like its brand new. Reples stains and washing very well and holds its original color. I bought it off of ebay. I suggest you check ebay if you want a good deal. I picked this up for 100 dollars brand new saving me @ 200 dollars for this high end coat. It retails for @ 300 dollars.

The Columbia jacket is nice as well. My hunting partner has one and he loves it. Just thought I would give you some options.

Good Luck
Get Down ! Get Down ! Here they come.
Franchi
Account Suspended for brand name useage

Postby Webfoot12 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:00 pm

Swamp Puppy,
Here is what I bought and I love it. Very warm and "VERY DRY". I hunted all day in a steady but light rain. I was totally dry. I like the 4-1 so i can take out the liner on warm days. Tons of pockets which is a huge plus. If you're like me, I need crap to store my crap. I love everything about this jacket. I bought the MAX-4 and love the pattern. Can't go wrong. Plenty of room to move around and raise your gun and what-not. $200, fair price in my opinion.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Hope this link works,
Michael
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:34 pm

Looks like a good one Webfoot. Seems like alot of velcro though..any troubles when it gets icy with the velcro not securing properly?
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby gunman » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:01 pm

This is the one I have been eyeing......Cabela's Brush Buster™ GORE-TEX® Waterfowl Systems $109.95~$259.95 .........
anyone else use a wader style jacket?
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:42 pm

Swamp puppy,
I did not have any trouble what-so-ever. I remember a 13 degree day when my wet gloves were sticking to the boat. No trouble at all.

Gunman,
The wader jacket you have pictured is exactly what I have. See my earlier post. Great jacket. Little pricey but well worth it.

Michael
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:41 am

Swamp, I got to looking at my jacket last night and the only velcro is around the cuffs and to the hood flaps to cover your face.

The velcro is top notch and will not come apart unless you want it too.

The pockets are snap buttons. The previous line did have velcro pockets and a better/larger velcro for the hood flaps. I took it back and got this one because I did not like the Max-4 for that particular jacket. It was way to green for where I hunt. (ordred online) Returned it and bought it at the store which is what I would recommend.

I bought an extra large because I have a long torso and long arms. The chest is way too big but I hate having the sleeves come to my mid forearm. It is a shade bulky and I can't fit it inside my waders but I like wearing my coat outside my waders, unless I'm sitting in the muck. I usually hunt from a boat so its not an issue very often.

If you like I could try to post some pics that could give you a better idea.

I promise I'm not a cabelas sales rep :smile:

Good Hunting,
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:02 pm

thanks for the info. i was reading the descriptions at cabelas and they listed the pockets as having velcro flaps. not a biggie. it is more of a preference than anything. factor #1 is to KEEP ME DRY IN THE OREGON RAINS!!!
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby tstrong » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:23 pm

GORE TEX - GORE TEX - GORE TEX! You'll pay a littlle more but it's worth every cent.
tstrong
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum