conversion kit

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

conversion kit

Postby gracenjohn » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:42 pm

with the price of fuel, have any of you diesel rig drivers thought about installing a conversion kit to run on veggie oil? I spent the day looking up hybrids for the the wife (she's gonna get one and there is nothing I can do to stop her) and I ran across lots of info on the kits. They are about 1500 for the kit and 1200 for install, but if you can get veggie oil for free, it would only take about 12000 miles for it to pay for itself. Any thoughts?

John
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
Forum Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:44 am

I honestly havent looked into, but may when prices rise again.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:43 am

They have been doing a lot of these type of conversions on Spike's Powerblock. I know Trucks did an episode and so did Xtreme 4x4. I have yet to hear if there is any downsides to running veggie (other than the initial cost of course), but it seems like a very practical modification. I would snoop around some diesel forums and see what guys around them have to say about it.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby KCDuckMaster » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:37 pm

$1,200 now is that for a bio-diesel kit or a kit to make your engine run off straight oil? A couple years ago back in school a guy did one on his old mercedes-benz it was a kit that would let you run off straight oil(not bio-diesel) and he said the kit only cost him $600, but his fuel take for the first few weeks was a old tide detergent bottle that was strapped under the hood of his car for the first few months. But that would last him about a week maybe two if he didnt do alot of driving. The only bad part was during the winter he had to use diesel to get it started but once it started he could switch it over to oil. Then a little later on he finally broke down and bought a fuel cell and mounted it in his trunk. It was pretty interesting going over to his place though because in the garage he had a little system set up for filtering the oil and it always smelled like grease and Mexican food because thats where he got the oil.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Major Woods » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:22 am

A couple guys I know did the conversion and they like it a lot.
They say one down side is that finding the used oil is now harder since guys have started doing the conversions in larger numbers.
Some restaurants now want money for the used oil which reallly cuts down on the savings.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Return to Vehicle forum