Duck Hunting Forum banner

from water to weighted??

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  gotduck68415 
#1 ·
Anybody got some tips on turning water keels into weighted ones? I have a doz and a half of old flambeau dekes with water keels. I was thinking those long skinny lead decoy weights would work good if i put a couple into the water leel and sealed off the ends.

Any suggestions??

:salude:

Kris

#2 ·
What I did was attach a strap weight onto the bottom of the keel by using a 2 small screws... one at each end & then I covered them with just a dab of Shoo Goo... it worked great & the person that has the dekes now as used the same method to convert other water keels into weighted keels. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Thanks for the tips guys! :salude:

I was thinking sand to, but did'nt know what to use to seal the ends. Will hot glue stand up to sitting in the water for 3 months? I started thinking again, and came up with gas tank sealer. Hardens like a rock!!

Thanks again

:salude:

Kris

#7 ·
I honestly can't awnser is hot glue will hold up that long in water. Sand and hot glue are cheap so you can always give it a shot before you have to buy gas tank sealer. I know when you go from weighted to water keel it looks like hot glue they use to hold the caps on the decoy's keel.

#9 ·
Fill the water keel decoy with sand then seal the openings in the keel with a product called "marine goop." It is a marine sealer and will do the job and last.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.