Planting 1st week in October

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Planting 1st week in October

Postby mox » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:32 pm

Anyone know of a millet, oat, or anything at all I can plant in western KY this time of year (this weekend actually)? We usually get our 1st frost in mid/late November. Getting seed won't be too hard for me. I just don't know what to get.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:48 am

Little late for millet to make.... you can plant wheat/oats on the shore. Were you plan on flooding it? Do you have equipment?
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby mox » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:40 am

yeah i have access to large and small equipment of all types, but i think i'm just going to hold off on planting all together this season.
we've gotten big rain the past 2 days and hopefully today as well, so i'm hoping the slough has already started to fill.
the most i'll do now is go spread corn until the last legal day to do so in order to get some residential birds in there (i may take your advice on throwing in some wheat/oats this week if time allows)
thanks for the advice though Gruberguy.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:23 am

Not sure bout' your laws ..... but in Oklahoma you can bait 14 days prior to it being hunted as long as ALL BAIT IS REMOVED... soooooo.... if the birds leave 1 kernel of corn and Mr. Warden finds it.... you are in for it here!!!

I own a 8 acre slough that floods naturally... I have planted jap millet this year for the first time.. and it did well. I have tons of native vegetation that does great. I am in the process of mowing grass real short and going to disk and sow wheat and oats while the water is down (been pretty dry here) and what I am wanting is water flooding into the wheat this winter.
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby mox » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:27 am

yes, our regulations here in KY are very similar. But the beauty of my situation is that my slough is surrounded completely (all 4 corners) by a corn field. There is corn everywhere from the recent cutting. Although there is no corn inside my slough, those durn combines sure are sloppy! :wink:
seriously though, if we don't get much more rain, i may disc 1/2 the slough and throw in some oats/wheat. better safe than sorry.
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:33 am

Yea.. those bines sure do have bad screens in them... scatter that corn eveywhere huh!!! :thumbsup: I would plant the wheat too.. it couldn't hurt a thing... plus the canadian geese around here love the wheat stubble thast gets flooded! Good Luck!!!
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby mox » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:59 am

if weather permits, i'm headed to plant wheat monday and tuesday.
any pointers to keep in mind?
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:13 am

Naaa..... I like to just very lightly put it in... or if you have a drill.. it will work good.... I have had luck throwing it on top of dirt, or even short grass right before a rain... it will come up good.... I wouldn't worry about fertilizer either, not like you are gonna harvest it, plus your ground should be rich enough if you have corn around there....

How was the corn harvest there?? We had best harvest in a while this year in OK. Rain came when we needed it, no major wind storm, low bugs etc....
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby mox » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:23 am

we had some real bad straight-line winds that did damage on some of the larger fields in my area of KY. the small fields surrounded in timber didn't get hurt near as bad; stayed shielded by the trees. Bugs weren't bad, but rain was a little scarce. It wasn't terribly bad by any means, but definately not the best year for the pocket book.

you going to be rootin' the sooners on against texas?
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:29 am

BOOMER SOONER ALL THE WAY!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby mox » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:07 pm

Little update on the wheat I planted 3 1/2-4 weeks ago...
I checked it today and its mighty green and mighty healthy! :biggrin: It was a total shot in the dark for me, things worked out well. Right now I'm worried about deer feeding it out before it gets a chance to flood. Regardless, the wheat took and that was my goal. Thanks to those who lit a little fire under my tail (gruber guy).
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology