Where To Use My Boat Blind???

Topics on New York hunting on the Delaware river to discuss, Delaware duck hunting, tactics and more.

Moderator: Daffy Ducking

Where To Use My Boat Blind???

Postby JohnM » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:14 am

Hey guys,I am fairly new to this site and I am in my 3rd yr of waterfowl hunting. I bought a war eagle last year with a blind on it and need some advice on where I can use it. I know I can use it down in the rehobeth and indian river bays, but I would like to hunt out of it without driving 2hrs. You have to be at least 1/2 mile out in the bay to sea duck hunt but what about diver duck hunting? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
Local 313, NAHC LM, DU,NRA

Trying To Teach An Old Dog Some New Tricks
JohnM
hunter

Postby HydrixD » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:41 pm

I use to live in lewes delaware, now im in jersey. What town do you live in.
Mike Bryant
HydrixD
hunter

Postby JohnM » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:21 am

I live in Middletown,DE.Tell me about waterfowl hunting in New Jersey.I heard you need a boat blind there cause they dont have public blinds,is this true?What about fields for goose hunting how does this work?

JohnM
hunter

Postby TommyW » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:58 pm

On state land in NJ you're not allowed to put up a permanant blind. No they don't have public blinds. I hunt out of a boat blind. There are some state fields to hunt geese in (not many).
WHAT SAID IN THE BLIND STAYS IN THE BLIND
TommyW
hunter

Postby JohnM » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:12 pm

Is the hunting any better than DE? What about farmers feilds are they any ezier to get perm. to hunt on?I will have to get on jerseys dnrec sight to see how much licences and boat fees are. I dont think I will do anything over there yet im laid off at the present and only had enough to get my PA licence so I can deer and geese hunt with a good friend of mine.

JohnM
hunter

Postby TommyW » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:08 pm

Shotgun license is 135.50 for a non-resident. A lot of farmers lease their land. There are some public ramps that are free.
TommyW
hunter

Postby JohnM » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:15 pm

I tell ya license fees are out of this world anymore!!!!!! Do you waterfowl hunt in DE?

JohnM
hunter

Postby TommyW » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:28 pm

No I don't hunt in delaware. Only in NJ. I am going to PA this year for bear.
TommyW
hunter

Postby HydrixD » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:38 pm

I think duck hunting is better in delaware then jersey. But then again in delaware I had alot of places I could hunt. Now that I live in new jersey and dont have a boat theres only one place that I can hunt thats local. And it feels like the same hunt over and over again. If you have a boat in new jersey then you have a wide variety of places to hunt.
HydrixD
hunter

Postby JohnM » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:46 pm

Bear hunt WOW that must be exciteing!!!!I dont blame you for not hunting in DE its getting CRAZY!!People just do not care about anything but themselves anymore( hunting on top of you,leaving there trash for someone else to pick up,I WILL NOT TOUCH THE CANAL DURING ANY GUN SEASON).I am going up to PA tomorrow to knock on some doors and try and land some fields for goose season(CAN NOT WAIT!!) then do a little deer hunting.

HydrixD-have you tried looking into buying a cheap used jon boat and building your own blind?If I could be so bold,what about those places to hunt you had are they still available?Sorry I had to ask!

JohnM
hunter

Postby TommyW » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:34 pm

I'm excited, I've never been bear hunting. I have a friend that is taking me.
TommyW
hunter

Postby JohnM » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:37 pm

COOL!!Are you using state property or did you book a hunt?

JohnM
hunter

Postby TommyW » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:44 pm

Private club but it's next to state land.
TommyW
hunter

Postby JohnM » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:54 pm

My buddy's dad owned a bar/motel about an hour north of cabelas I could never make it up there to hunt.It is right next to state land but business got so bad he had to sell it last month.He said there were some bear around(tracks and such) wish I could have took the time to go up and hunt!!

JohnM
hunter

Postby HydrixD » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:11 pm

Yeah I defitnitly have to buy about its a must have here in new jersey. where do you want to hunt? close to your home or do you mind traveling.
Mike Bryant
HydrixD
hunter

Postby JohnM » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:59 am

last year I duck hunted woodland beach,goose hunted ceader swamp and PA and I deer hunted Lums Pond.Did not do very well on ducks but had better luck on geese. I had a lot more fun with the geese so I put about $600 into my spread at the beginning of the summer.My next step is to get some diver duck dekes(bufflehead,redhead,canvasback and some bluebills).
I have been hunting with my dad and my best bud from PA so really it all depends on what time they want to get to my house in the morning. They were all ready to take the trip down state but we never did.I have a 20' boat and it will fit 5 people comfortably. I originally bought that big of a boat(yeah, it is big!!) so another friend of mine and his brother could hunt down lower slower but that never developed(thats a whole nother story).I am out of work at the present time so money dictates how far I could go but Im willing to go were ever it takes to have fun!!!!!

JohnM
hunter

Postby HydrixD » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:00 am

I use to hunt Delaware seashore state park. In the beginning of the season its awsome theres tons of mallards, black ducks, teal, and buffle heads. We always shot are limit out there and not to many people hunt out there. On the other side of the bay people hunt it hard which pushes everything bird to you.
HydrixD
hunter

Postby JohnM » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:15 am

Well no luck trying to find some new fields to goose hunt on.But we got our foot in the door for some awsome deer hunting in the future. I guess we will just have to be happy with what we have,which really isnt all that bad.
I will have to get out my state maps and take a look ot DE seashore state park it sounds pretty good.
Does anybody know of anywere else in NC or Kent counties?

JohnM
hunter

Postby TommyW » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:58 am

Hey john check out bombay hook NWR.
TommyW
hunter

Postby JohnM » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:23 pm

from what the bombay hook info page said the only place that does not have perm. blinds is the snow goose fields.Plus they charge you $5 per hunter to hunt there.
I checked out DE seashore state parks maps and regs.I hunted there when I was just getting started and liked it a lot.Talked to my partners and we will be making a few trips down there this year for sure.

JohnM
hunter

Postby JohnM » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:33 am

For DE seashore state park are you talking about the season that starts OCT 24 or NOV 24? You have peeked my interest and now I am undecided on what I want to do for the first day of the season. Last year Woodland was like the 4th of july on opening day.If I go down to lower slower I want to get down there about 11am so I could do some scouting and find most of the locations then settle into a spot and hunt the rest of the day.

JohnM
hunter

Postby NICKD » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:54 am

Did you ever try hunting north of the canal. You don't have to be any amount of yards offshore just don't go onto the land.
Wack Em Stack Em
NICKD
hunter

Postby JohnM » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:47 pm

Are you talking about the area just east of the marina or Reedy Island?
What do you guys think of my plan?Should I go down and scout first?Either way it is a flip of the coin,I take a chance of missing the draw(not enough blinds for all the hunters)at Woodland or being to late for a site down lower slower.
Im so confused!! :headbang:

JohnM
hunter

Postby JohnM » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:53 pm

Checking out my maps and I have just discoverd that Milford Neck WMA has blind site signs not regular perm. state blinds.
Does anyone hunt in milford neck?

JohnM
hunter

Postby HydrixD » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:18 am

I use to hunt milford neck. As well as everybody else in the state.
Mike Bryant
HydrixD
hunter

Next

Return to Delaware Duck Hunting